Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 20:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Red meat antibodies, cause of Inflammation in Succeptable Humans Explained, a little

https://youtu.be/xRkRilP1OTU

Presents a clear scientific explanation of why fish,eggs and poultry are better for some people.

Very detailed and clearly presented.

Plz excuse mis spelling. Spell check hiccupping.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 23:37

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Neu5gc might possibly be a problem for some sensitive people so it seems more scientific research on this would be good, but I also noted from the video that much of the evidence is from nutrition associational studies, which cannot prove cause/effect and are notorious for healthy user biases. Like the comparisons of healthy Adventists who strictly follow their vegetarian beliefs versus ones who don't and have poorer health. How might people who strictly follow their beliefs differ from those who don't in their habits and choices that affect health? Dr. Steven Gundry in his book a few years back (The Plant Paradox) expressed concern about Neu5gc to the extent of recommending avoidance of all protein sources containing it (so eat chicken, fish or plant proteins), however Dr. Paul Saladino in a video discussion with him considered the matter not one of such significance as to avoid the health benefits of red meat. Dr. Gundry did work many years with Loma Linda University and evidenced agreement in his book with the university's anti-meat philosophical influence. I tried out his diet for some time including avoidance of Neu5gc containing foods, but in my own case I saw no effect. I do, however, still continue to take Dr. Gundry's advice concerning avoidance of lectins which are high in some plant food sources.

Last edited by Zei : Wed, Jun-02-21 at 23:48.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-21, 05:40

BF:

The presenter was careful to point out these studies are associative and not causal, and indicates further study is needed. He actually mentions this several times. A rather good presentation of new reasons why red meat may be a problem for some.

Of interest to me was the study that showed nearly the same disease prevalence for red meats and chicken. Presenter was surprised by this and he again pointed out more studies are necessary.

My impression is the inflammation is likely a low subtle type that needs an elimination diet to ferret out.

I too am more careful about how to prepare high lectins foods. The traditional methods of preparation apparently did know best. Soaking beans and dumping rinse water several times, then cooking a long time as I don't have a suitable pressure cooker...yet. Dr Gundry has much to offer.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-21, 06:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I likewise avoid lectins which seems to work well for me. Now that I know Dr. Gundry:

Quote:
Dr. Gundry did work many years with Loma Linda University and evidenced agreement in his book with the university's anti-meat philosophical influence.

And this is not nutritional science. It's philosophy. I'm all for people eating in whatever way works for them, and I have met some people who seem to be "natural vegetarians" who manage with foods like cheese and eggs. Good for them.

When I tried it, for months, with the advice of people for whom it DID work, I got fat and sick and exhausted. My body doesn't care what philosophy I might take up!

I lose all patience with vegans. I've been in animal rescue for decades, but high ideals and sneering is not going to help us advance humane concerns. And vegans don't pay any attention to the habitat destruction, pesticide use, and other dangers of over-farming.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-21, 08:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Humans have been eating red meat for their entire existence.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-21, 08:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Humans have been eating red meat for their entire existence.

In my college years, it was a GIVEN that we hunted mega-fauna to extinction to build our big brains. That's all been fuzzed over in the popular imagination, with their talk about "how much protein do you REALLLLY need?" and the claimed superiority of plant sources over any animal source.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-21, 11:49

BF:

One factor to consider is long term exposure. At 60-70-80-90 years old our body reflects the long term exposure.

Our longevity has changed with the addition of sanitation, medicine, advanced surgery, etc such that we can now see the effects of what we thought was good...... foods that may not be good for every one.

I'm not ready to give up my beef, but I sure think about my genetic and how the foods of my immediate ancestors affects what is better for this body.

Eggs. Not for everyone. Dairy. Not for everyone. A lifetime to figure it out.lol

I do know bread and wheat makes me feel terrible when I fill up.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-21, 08:42

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've read that cooking meat led to our bigger brains. It seems the amino acids are more easily and completely digested when cooked. Again, not a double-blind scientific study but a good hypothesis.

Beef doesn't bother me at all, but chicken bothers my inherited bursitis and accident caused arthritis.

With the combination of an arthritis/bursitis diet given to me by a doctor, and systematic elimination, I found that fowl and egg yolks, which are high in arachidonic acid are what causes me the problems.

Before eliminating them I couldn't walk 2 blocks without resting, and couldn't drive without a blue-ice pack behind my left hip. Now I can walk +4 miles and/or drive for +8 hours with zero pain.

I successfully avoided getting a hip replacement through diet.

Bob