Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 03:10

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How 'light' and 'low fat' foods thought to be healthier contain 3 times more sugar

Revealed: How 'light' and 'low fat' foods thought to be healthier can contain up to THREE TIMES more sugar and the same amount of calories

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...IMES-sugar.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 09:07

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

While I appreciate articles like this spreading the message, it also just makes me want to scream! This is not news. This has been broad knowledge for more than 20 years, so how are people still not getting it?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 09:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Big Ag keeps pushing it down our throats. Fraudulent "scientific" articles (I don't minimize by calling it fake), multi-million dollar donations to the American Heart Association and others, and tacit bribery everywhere.

That's how the lie persists.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 12:45

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was grocery shopping one day and on the frozen food isle when I struck up a conversation with a little lady in her late 70s. We were in front of the prepared frozen dinners. I began telling her how the low fat dinners had 28g of sugar in them and IDK if she was watching her sugar intake but that's something to conider. She said that she was watching her sugar and thanked me for pointing out the sugar content.
Then I pulled out an adkins dinner, she showed her that there might be 1-2g at the most. For many senior citizens it's hard for them to cook all of the time so this was a much better option for her. Plus from what I've read, so many seniors don't eat enough protein so this is better than nothing for back-up in the freezer.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 17:44

BF:

A good deed - you get good points for that

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 20:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
A good deed - you get good points for that

Bob

Thanks!
I love talking to seniors, they have such wisdom and a life of experience.
When I was a kid for fun, I would go to the nursing home down the street, dragging along my BFF on our bicycles to visit people. They loved little kids visiting.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 02:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

Thanks!
I love talking to seniors, they have such wisdom and a life of experience.
When I was a kid for fun, I would go to the nursing home down the street, dragging along my BFF on our bicycles to visit people. They loved little kids visiting.

And good for your little old lady! For watching her sugar, and being open to change.

My "healthy" low fat diet in the 90s consisted of sugar, air, raw vegetables, and skinless chicken breasts.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 03:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
While I appreciate articles like this spreading the message, it also just makes me want to scream! This is not news. This has been broad knowledge for more than 20 years, so how are people still not getting it?
It makes me want to scream too, but so many people do still buy into the low-fat myth.

My SIL, for instance, remains dedicated to her low-fat, high carb diet and won't be convinced otherwise. She's an advocate of eat less, move more, though there's no evidence that it's working well for her.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 08:02

BF:

People believe the media frauds more than their own experience and intellect. And there is so much fraud for profit out there that it's very difficult to tell what is good for you without thinking for yourself. But spoon-fed media, especially TV doesn't give you time to think.

I come from a family of macaroni eaters (yes, I know they try to upgrade it calling it pasta). My parents and siblings were/are all over 300 pounds. My parents died of obesity related diseases, and I decided I didn't want to meet an early demise like they did. LC/Keto is the only thing that worked for me.

I want to live forever - so far - so good.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 09:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
People believe the media frauds more than their own experience and intellect. And there is so much fraud for profit out there that it's very difficult to tell what is good for you without thinking for yourself.

I want to live forever - so far - so good.

Bobarama, I so agree with you about ppl believing the media fraud and nit thinking fir themselves. It is so much easier to grab a high carb snack (they think) that stir frying some veggies. It’s all in what you want. I started watching my eating habits and doing Atkins LC last October and I’m down ~20 lbs because I’m 66 want like you, I want living forever to be my goal. 💪🏼
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 17:54

BF:

Ladyhawk, I hope you make it to the live forever stage!

I'm 72, on zero prescriptions, 7 pounds under my goal weight (I haven't updated my profile for fear of jinxing it <grin>), I walk 3-4 miles a day, can and do still stand up and play music on a gig for 4 hours without a break, and enjoy every day on the planet.

I figure if I make it to 100, perhaps medical science which is increasing by leaps and bounds will figure out how to let me make it to 140. So that makes me middle aged right now.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 19:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dear Bob, keep sharing your life stories to inspire us youg'ins like me. The battle to eat on plan AND drop weight is a real struggle for many of us. Your stories keep me motivated to NOT quit trying.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 19:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I am 72 also and a firm believer that going low-carb about 18 years ago has saved my life. I come from a long line of T2 diabetics. My grandfathers, father and two of my brothers died of heart-related issues at least 5 years younger than I am now. I keep very active (bicycled over 5000 miles already this year) and know that many my age have physical problems. I do take prescription drugs - drops for glaucoma and a pill to prevent clots. Both are genetic problems.
I had a physical with many blood tests done and my physician gave me an A on the results. Good blood cholesterol, glucose, and A1c, etc. I'm going to be low-carbing for the rest of my life and enjoying it!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 20:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I dream of exercise someday. I dream of walking the AT. Someone gave me a box of low fat soft granola bars recently. Healthy, right?? Lol Dogs enjoyed them. These dogs run run run. A little sugar is used up asap.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Jun-29-19 at 20:23.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-19, 14:50

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Then I pulled out an adkins dinner, she showed her that there might be 1-2g at the most. For many senior citizens it's hard for them to cook all of the time so this was a much better option for her. Plus from what I've read, so many seniors don't eat enough protein so this is better than nothing for back-up in the freezer.

My husband (84) gets enough fat & protein because I'm the cook. But when I'm not home at meal times & there are no leftovers in the fridge, his go-to food is Bush's Beans. The only thing he cooks is oatmeal. We were getting free frozen dinners in our monthly senior citizen food boxes for a while, but I wouldn't eat them & he found out they didn't taste great. Chickens liked them tho.

I think I'll pick up some Atkins frozen dinners for him to try as I'm going to be gone for a week in September. He wouldn't starve left to his own devices, but he wouldn't eat well. He's getting to the point where he forgets to eat sometimes.