Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 16:37

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

I also wear a heart rate monitor and it shows that I'm getting a good workout even if I'm not chewing up the miles
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 16:48

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyish
Other times I imagine I'm in some awesome period drama and I'm walking to Mr. Darcy's house or something. LOL Honestly I have an overactive imagination!

Too funny, I just re watched both the Jennifer Ehle version and the Keira Knightly one. Love the book too but it's too hard to read on the treadmill . I would definately keep walking if Colin Firth was my destination!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 16:48

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

I know when I was north of 300 lbs I had chronic issues with my right ankle and the top of my left foot, and at various times my back, and my knees would act up. Fortunately most of those issues, other than minor knee strain going up stairs, have resolved over the last several months.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 22:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Hi there, you and I are at the same level, and I knew I needed to start excersising for both my physical, but also my mental health. I always heard that you need to find something that you enjoy and have fun doing, or you will never keep it up. I love my DH but we have totally different views'goals on this, so he goes biking and roller blading. Not for this lady, I go for walks and started with 10-15 min, pushing but every other day until that started to get easier (15 min goes by fast) then went to 30 min taking it easy and slowly started to increase, the days I felt good I pushed, the days that were tough, I strolled. I am now up to trying a 7km hilly walk in 75-80 min every other day, and bouncing the other days... we'll see, but I do it on my own time, when I feel like it, and I enjoy it (most of the time) So all this to say, take it slow, push yourself when YOU want to and find something that you find fun, and before you know it, you'll be doing way more than you ever expected!!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 04:31
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Quote:

He can walk a 14 min mile.. My best has been around 22 mins.. my goal is to get to 20 mins.. and hopefully under that in the future. Should I just ignore him?

Just wanted to give you some positive perspective on this.....
I walk/jog a mile everyday.
Yup. Just one mile.
It takes me 16 minutes.
I'm in the 190's weight wise.
You walk your mile in 22 minutes which is only six minutes longer than my jog.
That's pretty damn good.
Tell him to shove it.....eventually you'll cut your time....and you'll cut your weight and inches....and he'll eat his little pieces of advice on what you "should" be doing.

Training for a 5k is much different than starting a walking program.
Just smile and nod and keep doin what you're doin!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 21:26

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

Colin Firth!....yummy thoughts...and yes , that would help me walk along too....
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 22:28

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

I think you should find someone else to exercise with and let him do what he wants on his own. He's not very bright if he can't figure out that his suggestions could actually kill you. If he were my husband I'd get even and put everything he wants on the highest shelves (since you did say he was 5'4") then when he says he can't reach it or complains tell him to "just push through it". Tit for tat...just sayin'
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 04:53

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

I read all the posts and am amazed! !! I need to keep getting out there walking it sounds like it will get better!!I keep trying as I need to walk my dog and just the walk for 15 minutes is a bit much!! My hips hurt my feet hurt and I am not walking fast I really do walk slow!

It is hard to see people pass me all the time! I have no speed with walking and my feet kill me! Maybe I will keep trying it is some exercise even if it is 15 minutes!!

Good to hear all the suggestions!!
Gloria
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloquilts
I read all the posts and am amazed! !! I need to keep getting out there walking it sounds like it will get better!!I keep trying as I need to walk my dog and just the walk for 15 minutes is a bit much!! My hips hurt my feet hurt and I am not walking fast I really do walk slow!

It is hard to see people pass me all the time! I have no speed with walking and my feet kill me! Maybe I will keep trying it is some exercise even if it is 15 minutes!!

Good to hear all the suggestions!!
Gloria

Hi Gloria, I hear you sista!! and rest assured it does get better. The more you do, the more you can do... I thought I was going to die the first time I did the green road, and now it is enjoyable (most times) I got some good advice on here about getting some good walking shoes (expensive but worth it) Now when you say that your hips and feet hurt, is it a medical problem or is it soreness from muscles that are developing? I know that since I have started, I ache everywhere, but I tell myself that it's a good thing and the more I "hurt" the better shape I am getting in.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 08:59

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
I imagine I'm in some awesome period drama and I'm walking to Mr. Darcy's house or something. LOL Honestly I have an overactive imagination!

That is awesome! and you are fabulous for walking 2 miles. You go girl!

I really think that you should give the weighted backpack a try on him. See what he thinks. There are also ankle weights, wrist weights and other weights you can buy and strap on to his limbs to help him gain a true perspective of how you are already "pushing" your muscles.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 12:41

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Interestingly enough I had a nice long talk with him today about this. He apologized and said he will try to understand where I am coming from. He did say again that it is good to push your muscles.. perhaps I am just misunderstanding him.

You are not misunderstanding him! Just because you don't see eye to eye does not mean it is your fault. He is not being supportive by criticizing.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 12:52
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Kelly mentioned something that might be a good idea... if you were to both wear heart rate monitors, he would be able to see that your pace of walking is raising your heart rate as much as his running.

I also like the idea of him running ahead and then coming back to meet you as a way of going together, but him being able to work at a higher intensity.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 14:42
Registered Member

Stats: 350/313.8/220 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I walked a mile today.. ALONE. I got back and he came outside to see me. He was supportive then made a little comment that was snarky about being worn out after a mile.. kidding around but I wanted to slap him.

I hope it doesn't sound like he is a total ass, he really has great qualities.. I think he needs to realize that right now I don't need humor when it comes to my weight.. I just need support.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 18:51

Quote:
I walked a mile today.. ALONE. I got back and he came outside to see me. He was supportive then made a little comment that was snarky about being worn out after a mile.. kidding around but I wanted to slap him.

I hope it doesn't sound like he is a total ass, he really has great qualities.. I think he needs to realize that right now I don't need humor when it comes to my weight.. I just need support.

MEN...
Snarkiness seems to be a genetic defect in that species
Good for you for doing the mile, how did it feel? Did you time yourself?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 02:53

Plan: SemiVegetarian Lower Carb
Stats: 335/323/150 Female 67 inches
BF:73%/73%/30%
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc4good
I think you should find someone else to exercise with and let him do what he wants on his own. He's not very bright if he can't figure out that his suggestions could actually kill you. If he were my husband I'd get even and put everything he wants on the highest shelves (since you did say he was 5'4") then when he says he can't reach it or complains tell him to "just push through it". Tit for tat...just sayin'

I have a 6 foot 2 husband and I am only 5 foot 6. So I have to say it drives me insane that he puts everything in the house up so high I have to use a chair to get it. That would actually be a pretty funny thing to do!

I feel for you it is so hard to have a husband who is not on the same level as you are. Mine actually weighs more then me, but he seems to think he is my trainer and often gives me tips and pointers while he is laying on the couch eating cheetos. Gets me so mad. I started wearing my mp3 player cranked up and completely ignoring him, after I tell him of coarse to worry about his own self, I am doing things the way they work for me and don't need his 2 cents.