Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:33

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi fellow Newbies!

I started Monday, March 3rd and am down 9 lbs already... I'm thrilled! Hope to make some friends here and share recipes, shopping info and reviews of LC products. Having variety and convenience makes all the difference for me. See you soon!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192.5/177.2/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks for the welcome. I have been on Atkins for 2/wks as of Friday. I agree with sticking to a particular plan. I read and re-read the Atkins book(s). It helps that my husband is really getting into this too. It is sooooooo much easier to have someone else in the house on the same program as you are. Thanks so much for all the wonderful post's here. This has really kept me going for the last two weeks. I have kicked up my exercise and hope to continue to be successful with the program. Thanks a million!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I am so happy and relieved to find this site. I started the CAD 1 1/2 weeks ago and so far find it fantastic...but it is also very confusing to know if I'm getting the right balance for health reasons. Reading and reading on here helped me with that and I'm feeling a lot calmer about things.
Maybe this time I will actually be able to do it!!!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:13

Plan: protien power
Stats: 212.5/204/145
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default ALSO NEW

AM ALSO NEW...HAVE BEEN LC'ING FOR 4 WKS AND HAVE ONLY LOST 4 LBS...HAPPENED FIRST WEEK AND THEN NOTHING.

GETTING FRUSTRATED EVEN THOUGH KEEPING CARBS UNDER 20

HAVE BEEN USING A FAIR AMT OF SPLENDA...2 IN AM IN TOFU SMOOTHIE, AND OFTEN AND ANOTHER 1-2 IN EVENING

WHY DOES USE ON NC SWEETNER HURT?

WILL TRY DROPPING THAT AND SEE IF THINGS IMPROVE...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 17:52

Plan: Atkins regiment
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question I didn't do my homework!

I started LC 5 days ago and haven't lost a pound! So, I got out my books and started reading a little closer - uh oh! I found out that I had been taking diet pills - and it says right there in black and white that you should quit them 2 weeks before starting - but I didn't. SO NOW WHAT DO I DO??? Do I stay on the diet or wait for 2 weeks ??? PLEASE HELP

Janet
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 19:33

Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up

Thank you for the great tips...I have started a journal I just need to continue it!!!
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up

Hello fellow low carbers.

Sorry to be so long winded but this is a story that I believe is worth sharing. I share it in the hope that it can serve as motivation for anyone who needs it.

I have been low carbing with Dr. Atkins since 10/22/02. Since then I have lost 52.5 lbs and feel like a million bucks. I started at 290.5 lbs and am now down to 238 lbs with a goal weight of 170 lbs. I am 5' 8" with a medium to heavy frame.

Two years ago, at 43, I was diagnosed with idiopathic non-ischemic cardiomyopathy. Idiopathic because they don't know what caused it, most likely a virus but they can't be positive. Non-ischemic because it doesn't involve the vascular or arterial systems, phew!!! Cardiomyopathy because my heart is enlarged. Bottom line, basically the heart just doesn't work as efficiently as it should. Most people's heart works at about 70% - 75% efficiency, mine was around 20% efficient. I couldn't get up in the morning and get dressed without being completely out of breath. With medication efficiency went to 35%. I felt better but not good. I weighed in at around 275 lbs at that time.

Unfortunately my first reaction was to give up. In the midst of some serious depression over the next two years I had gained another 15 lbs, up to 290lbs. Now I felt as bad as I did when I was diagnosed. I couldn't walk across the parking lot at work without becoming seriously winded.

I had read about Atkins but didn't really believe it, just sounded like another weight loss scheme to me. Then I met someone at a new job that was practicing Atkins. He was an older man, 66, with diabetes and he related what seemed a pretty miraculous story to me concerning his experience with Atkins. I decided to try it.

That was 4 and 1/2 months ago. I am now down to 238 lbs and steadily loosing. Still in induction and handling it well. I do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio work out on a stationary bike every day. I also walk aprox. 2 miles each day and I am beginning a strength-training program. My triglyceride levels are down below 200 from 484. My blood pressure is down to 117/68 from 145/90.

Bottom line, I am alive and kicking butt. Mortality is a great motivator. Please don't let it go this far before you decide to do something about your problem. I feel that the most likely cause of my heart disease was obesity, poor diet, and fatigue. Not a very healthy combination. Whether you use Atkins, Protein Power, or one of the other LC plans. Do it, do it now and stay with it.

P.S. I am now also a religious follower of Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient solution.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 09:32

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hello everyone...thanks for the welcome
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 06:15

Stats: 193/193/129
BF:
Default newbie.

Hi everyone, another newbie here, I'm also from England.
Just about to start on Atkins, though the doc told me to wait for about 4 weeks as I'm going for an op in 2 weeks.
Read the book, & eager to get started
Sara
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 20:39

Stats: 185/185/136
BF:Unknown

I have an easy question for you about the forum replies. What are "meat posts" symbols and why do they appear? Some replies have none next to them, others have 5 or 6, etc.
Thanks,
Karen
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 20:47
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sara S, and Typer0506, welcome!

If you start your own threads here in the Intro forum, you'll meet more members that way.

How about starting up a journal here, too?

The meat, eggs etc symbols indicate how many posts one has made. If you click your mouse over your egg, you'll see what comes next!

Rosebud
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 10:28

Stats: 193/193/129
BF:

Thanks for the welcome,
maybe when I can get a break from the children, I can get a journal going.
One question though, how do you do the BF????
Sorry for sounding thick
Sara S xxxx
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 20:55

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%
Default thank goodness I found you

This forum is a godsend. I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks now. The weight loss is slow, but I'm on BC so I understand that this is normal. I found your site because I did a google search for a menstrual problem I'm having, and many of the postings in the PCOS thread answered my questions. I wish I knew about this sooner. I will definitely tell my friends.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 15:08

Plan: my own invention so far
Stats: 160/160/135`
BF:
Progress:

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks trying to decide if this would/could really work...registered Sat...today is my 1st LC day and my first post.

I feel like a fraud in a way. I'm not fought my weight my whole life...until middle age hit with a vengence. 2 years ago I lost 25 lbs on a STRICT low fat, low cl diet, and while I've kept it off I've been stuck and discouraged.

I having nothinbg to lose here...except another 25 lbs.

Jude
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 04:39

Stats: 50/50/43
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Chandra
Wow am I happy to find this forum! I've been doing atkins for about 10 days, and have lost `10 lbs, so I'm off to a great start. My husband also does atkins. We love it! But we have food boredom issues, hahahaa. So I always looks for new recipes to try. Especially desserts, wheeeeeeee!

Chandra

HI EVERYONE ...newbie ere

oh my god, how u lose so much weight??... ...please help me to lose weight paaaaleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese....