Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 14:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Unhappy NEWS: Longer needles needed for fatter buttocks - study

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Fatter rear ends are causing many drug injections to miss their mark, requiring longer needles to reach buttock muscle, researchers said on Monday.

Standard-sized needles failed to reach the buttock muscle in 23 out of 25 women whose rears were examined after what was supposed to be an intramuscular injection of a drug.

Two-thirds of the 50 patients in the study did not receive the full dosage of the drug, which instead lodged in the fat tissue of their buttocks, researchers from The Adelaide and Meath Hospital in Dublin said in a presentation to the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America.

Besides patients receiving less than the correct drug dosage, medications that remain lodged in fat can cause infection or irritation, researchers Victoria Chan said.

"There is no question that obesity is the underlying cause. We have identified a new problem related, in part, to the increasing amount of fat in patients' buttocks," Chan said.

"The amount of fat tissue overlying the muscles exceeds the length of the needles commonly used for these injections," she said.

The 25 men and 25 women studied at the Irish hospital ranged in age from 21 to 87.

The buttocks are a good place for intramuscular injections because there are relatively few major blood vessels, nerves and bones that can be damaged by a needle. Plentiful smaller blood vessels found in muscle carry the drug to the rest of the body, while fat tissue contains relatively few blood vessels.

Obesity affects more than 300 million people worldwide and is based on a measure of height versus weight that produces a body mass index above 30. An estimated 65 percent of U.S. adults are overweight or obese.

It seems not only should we concider outselves lucky if our Doctors operate on us, we probably wont get enough medication anyway
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 15:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

What a load o' hooey!

True, the length of a standard IM needle is 1" .. however, longer needles are available, and have always been available. Also, the gluteus isn't the only site appropriate for an IM injection; there's also the large muscles of the upper arm, side of the hip and the front of the thigh.

My opinion, as a nurse who's given many IM injections, is that the problem isn't because people have big butts -- there have been big butts since time began . The problem is that the practitioners giving the injections don't know enough to use a longer needle or to choose an alternate site.

Sheeeesh.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 15:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was going to say, I have a lot less fat on my upper arm than I do my butt.

Now that I think of it... why do they give you shots in the butt when the upper arm is so much easier to get to?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 16:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Now that I think of it... why do they give you shots in the butt when the upper arm is so much easier to get to?

It depends on the volume of the injection. The larger gluteal muscle can tolerate a larger volume, whereas the smaller deltoid muscle can only absorb about 1 -2 ml at a time.

There's a small risk of hitting a nerve when giving an injection. In the case of the gluteal site, the risk is quite low as the sciatic nerve isn't near the site where the needle is inserted (for an older child or adult). In the upper arm, the radial nerve runs a little closer to the surface, and the deltoid muscle is smaller, so it's a bit riskier, but not a problem for an experienced person.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 16:29

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have been a nurse for 29 years, and I totally agree with doreen T.............many a times I used longer needles fro heavy patients. I had an OB patient once who weighed around 400 pounds, and I used a spinal needle to make sure I reached her muscle. However, they'e just not teaching the new generation of health care providers some of our tricks, and common sense!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 16:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ah! Interesting facts on shots! Thanks for the info. I got a cortisone shot in the hip once. I thought it would hurt like hell, and it did the next day, but the shot itself wasn't all that painful. The doc mixes a bit of novacaine or something with the cortisol and he thinks that helps.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-05, 19:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed when I read this! We used a standard 1 1/2" needle for ALL IM injections in adults. That's a lot of needle! We also had 2" ones around....just in case. In many people you had to be careful you didn't go too deep! You also use your fingers and hand to spread and compress the fat so you don't have as much to go thru!

I have had to give a patient an arm shot when the butt might have been better....but in most cases the other muscles were ample enough. I never had a situation where I couldn't get the needle deep enough...and that was something that was drummed into us..to make sure it was in the muscle, not fat!

And believe me, I've seen some pretty impressive butts in my day! LOL
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 04:56

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

speaking as a pear, better fat on the butt then the belly!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 11:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

This article reminds me when my brother was at school and his plus-size teacher was explaining that she had an illness that meant she needed to inject herself everyday in the bottom ..................................

He asked if she was going to use a javelin

You could imagine the response that got

Jackie