Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 17:02

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Jude, I've just seen the pic of your baked donuts in this thread and I'm wondering ... if the sweetener was omitted, some salt sprinkled in instead and you used beef dripping (from a roast) in the holes, would the result be anything like Yorkshire Puddings? SWOON! Served with juicy beef gravy ....
Babs
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Jude, I've just seen the pic of your baked donuts in this thread and I'm wondering ... if the sweetener was omitted, some salt sprinkled in instead and you used beef dripping (from a roast) in the holes, would the result be anything like Yorkshire Puddings? SWOON! Served with juicy beef gravy ....
Babs

You know, flavour-wise this could work...BUT you'd have to use a neutral or unflavoured protein powder (and I've only done this so far with a straight up whey protein isolate PP, no blends, though I can't speak for anyone else) and the texture is more cakelike, not a fluffy airfilled popover.

Between thee and me, I'd seriously consider more of a "Dutch Baby" or Clafouti approach to get something resembling a Yorksure Pudding/Popover. And what a coincidence, I did make one of those Clafouti items once, a zillion years ago. I'll see if I can dig up the recipe.

~later~
Ok, Rosebud did a Strawberry Clafouti recipe (it's listed in the Sweet Treats Contents thread, here's the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=210827 ) back a couple of years, she used almond meal, whey PP and slightly less (fewer? ) eggs and sweetener than I did.

I have a Blueberry Clafouti recipe that uses either soy flour (defatted, usually MUCH less "beany" tasting) or soy protein isolate -- take your pick, added egg white for puffiness and somewhat more sweetener. Mine is posted in Sweet Treats as well:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=331567

The recipe is old enough, at least 4 years or more, that I don't remember what I thought of it except I think I liked the isolate version slightly better, but I kept it so that's a good sign.

If you're feeling adventurous, maybe you'd like to take a crack at making a savoury version that resembles Yorkshire Puddings and then posting it somewhere?

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Apr-16-07 at 21:46.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 02:26

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Thanks Jude - it's now on my list for experimentation. It sounds good as it is, so I might try the sweet version first before doing the Yorkshire sub. For some reason, I was never any good making Yorkshires except with a packet mix
Babs
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 12:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
... For some reason, I was never any good making Yorkshires except with a packet mix
Babs

IIRC, I think the trick was always to let the batter sit (packets are pre-gelatinized starches, parcooked) and rest a longish while, get those little starch granules all soaked...and preferably to room temp.

I think. No way I'm going to test it!

#110   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 14:10

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 000/000/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Yup. Baked. That's been answered (and done), see post #90 right here...though I really like the waffle iron idea, too. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm going to give that one a shot.

Thanks!

Sorry, I am guilty of not reading all the posts. I printed the recipe a several post back and just tried them this past week. When I tried them in the waffle iron, I remembered someone had asked if you could bake them. I may make waffles in the morning.
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 07:17

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If they'd work in a waffle iron... surely they'd work in a pizelle maker too!
  #112   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 06:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:

Finally got around to trying the basic vanilla recipe to make pizelles - absolutely wonderful!

Be sure so spray the pizelle baker really well with pam before you start. I was afraid I would have to spray it before each set, but I was able to do an entire double batch of the recipe without them sticking.

Also be sure to let them get good and brown before trying to remove them from the pizelle baker, otherwise they're just too soft and will come apart. But once they're browned, they're very crispy and crunchy. (albeit very, very delicate)

I can just imagine how good these will be with a little of Elle's chocolate whipped cream on them...
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:16
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

I just tried this recipe (the original) and was very impressed. They were GOOD!
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-07, 17:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/219/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

locarb donuts????????? What will they think of next?(tee hee)
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 22:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Just bumping so I can remember to try these.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 21:20

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 165/150/135 Male 5'4"
BF:

i think these would be amazing topped with cocoa powder and maybe some peanut butter filling oh my
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 08:45

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I made these this morning in a muffin top pan. They came out more like crumpets - a little hard, but very good! I put butter and SF jam on top. They did taste a little chalky, though, probably from the protein powder.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 16:29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64
I made these this morning in a muffin top pan. They came out more like crumpets - a little hard, but very good! I put butter and SF jam on top. They did taste a little chalky, though, probably from the protein powder.

I used a similar pan, back a ways....in this very thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...335#post6604335
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 18:19

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 165/150/135 Male 5'4"
BF:

i made a different topping for this, about 6 tbsp of heavy cream a little bit of melted butter vanilla cant remember how much was about 1-2 tbsp and a packet of splenda put it on stove top and heated it till it became syrupy and then poured over doughnuts amazing
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 16:28

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

I bought my first container of Designer French Vanilla Protein Powder yesterday so I could try these. They came out great! I didn't use any splenda though since the protein powder already has 2 carbs per scoop, I used a teaspoon of SF DaVinci Kahula instead since I didn't want to add any extra carbs. I topped them with a bit of whipped cream cheese & cinnamon.

I also tried them using my waffle pan lightly oiled with my left over applesmoked bacon grease. Even better.

So yeah. This is a keeper.

Thanks for this one!

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4