Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 03:26
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Golden Flaxseed

Does anyone know anything about golden flaxseed...whether the carb count is the same and if there's any taste difference between the dark and light seed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 05:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

There is no nutritional difference between light and dark flax seed ... same amount of carbs, fiber, oil. I've had both, and noticed no difference in flavour at all when I tasted them side-by-side. Some folks might prefer the lighter coloured seed to use in baking.

Here's info. from the Flax Council of Canada FAQ's:
Quote:
What is the difference between brown flax seed and golden or yellow flax seed? Is one better than the other?

No, one flax seed is not better for you than another. Brown flax seeds provide the same nutritional benefits as golden (or yellow) ones. Both brown and golden flax seeds have plenty of lignans and dietary fibre, and both contain more than 50 per cent alpha-linolenic acid. This is an omega-3 fat which offers you health and heart fitness.

While some people prefer yellow-coloured seed in their cooking, brown flax seeds add the same nutrition to your diet as do golden ones. This means you can choose your flax seed freely. Brown flax seed may be more commonly found than golden, as more brown than golden flax seed is grown commercially.

Note: There is another yellow seed that looks like flax, but is not flax. It is most likely solin seed, a crop developed from flax. Solin seeds do NOT provide the same nutritional benefit of flax seeds. Solin seeds contain less than one-tenth of the alpha-linolenic acid found in flax seeds. Thus, the important omega-3 advantage of flax is missing in solin.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 17:40
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Thanks Doreen

You really are very helpful!
I only saw it for the first time yesterday so I bought a small amount to try. I'm not sure that I'll be able to grind it in my food processor though, might have to wait 'til I buy a grinder.

Zedgirl