Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 10:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My favorite spinach recipe involves browning mushrooms in butter, sauteeing down the spinach, and then adding cream and black pepper and reducing it to a delightful sauce. Incredible!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 12:18

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

An interesting fact about Dr. Atkins. He wasn't just someone who lost weight and decided to make a living telling others how to do it.
He writes that he completed his studies in Internal Medicine and Cardiology in 1963.
By 1972 he had introduced 10,000 patients to the diet and 99% of them lost weight and that's when he wrote his first book.
By 1973 he was already being attacked by AMA.
He said that the panel basically proclaimed that Dr. Atkins was not telling the truth.
He says that is when he began to question mainstream medicine,
He found recommendations for unnecessary and futile surgery, recommendations to use dangerous medications instead of safer agents, recommendations for invasive and risky diagnostic procedures that provided less information than safer tests--perhaps worst of all their total refusal to consider vita-nutrient therapies.
Once he learned how consistently people benefited from vitamins, minerals and amino acids, he sought to develop therapeutic combinations of these nutrients that would serve to replace side effects-laden pharmaceuticals.(pp34)

I'll stop here.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 14:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
My favorite spinach recipe involves browning mushrooms in butter, sauteeing down the spinach, and then adding cream and black pepper and reducing it to a delightful sauce. Incredible!
Oooo yummy!! Maybe tonight! I bought a boatload of mushrooms at Costco (dang that store!) and this sounds perfect.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 14:21

BF:

Quote:
By 1973 he was already being attacked by AMA. He said that the panel basically proclaimed that Dr. Atkins was not telling the truth.
All this was an incredible nightmare for Dr. Atkins. My paperback edition of the 1972 original Diet Revolution contains the entire text of the Statement of Robert C. Atkins MD to the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs April 12, 1973, before which he was summoned after being called a quack and a charlatan who might actually be killing people. After a very reasonable, measured rebuttal of many criticisms, Atkins concludes his statement:

"The responsibility of this committee evaluating the usefulness of this dietary regimen is made considerably easier by the fact that this diet is easily amenable to comparison with the more conventional diet since both can be used by the same person for the same purpose and the results compared. Would it not be a shame if this committee were to form a conclusion on the basis of testimony by non-observers of the diet, by speculation or ivory-tower deductions, when the actual answers are so amenable to controlled scientific investigation, which could be commenced immediately? I personally know what results such studies would yield; I have seen the results many thousands of times. But I know that an investigating committee would only be satisfied with independently-acquired data. I submit that these scientific facts should be assembled before arriving at even a tentative conclusion."

Alas, Dr. Atkins. Since when did scientific facts--or any facts for that matter--serve to guide congressional actions? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited by bkloots : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 14:26.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 15:07

BF:

Alas, Dr. Atkins. Since when did scientific facts--or any facts for that matter--serve to guide congressional actions? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

#21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 13:56

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I, too, take several supplements Dr. Atkins recommended in Vita-Nutrient Solution. I still find that book really helpful.

The boron for hot flashes, for example, really helped.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 08:47

BF:

While shopping for additional information, I discovered this thread from June 2015. It was helpful to me again, so I'm bumping it up.

This thread also reminds me that a successful LC lifestyle isn't a smooth journey. It has stops and starts, bumps, and crashes! (We're talking Christmas here!)

Now that I'm off to a fresh start in 2016, I can review the things I've learned, or tried to, in the past.

Thanks to many experienced and helpful people here, I don't have to go it alone.

Happy new year!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 07:53

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I just bought Dr Atkins book on supplements. It was one of those $.01 +shipping books on Amazon. It is in perfect condition and came with a surprise. It is signed by the good doctor himself with birthday wishes to Bonnie, whoever Bonnie is. The book is filled with information and well worth the small price.

Jean
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 08:08

BF:

What a nice surprise Jean.
An autograph copy for one cent. Wonderful!
That is such a great book, I bought it second hand as well!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 17:10

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I have also bought this book second hand for $1 and well worth it. The part I'm currently trying is the acne protocol, which recommends vitamin A and zinc. What a pain to have acne at almost 50 years old!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 19:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I very much enjoyed reading this thread and now am going to buy Dr Atkins book on supplements. And take D3 again. This thread is one of the reasons I love this forum so much. Thanks.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 19:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Here's the autograph, for only $4.00 including shipping:

#28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 13:57

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

I’m careful with chromium as it displaces calcium and most supplements have it in excessive amounts.