Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 19:33

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%
Default Weight gain/Slow loss

I am putting this here as I don't want to trigger anyone or for it to cause self doubt. I have noticed there are a lot of people on this board who stay at about the same weight or lose a few pounds in a month only to put them back on again. Some over many months or years... I was wondering why this is?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 07:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

For weight loss, stalling after the first couple of weeks is not uncommon. If you keep up with it, that stall usually breaks on it's own after a couple of weeks. The first couple of weeks on LC, you do tend to lose a lot of excess fluid (giving great scale losses), but that starts to stabilize over the next few weeks, then you start losing again. If not, it's worth re-evaluating your food.

As far as regaining weight, I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons, some of which could include carb creep, too many LC treats (homemade or specialty products), or indulging in full carb holiday treats/drinks and never making a real effort to get those pounds off again.

Lifestyle changes could be a factor - if you lost the weight on home cooked foods, but have since started eating out more for some reason (working more hours, traveling for work, etc), you might have trouble staying as LC as when you lost the weight, due to hidden carbs in restaurant food.

I've also seen some people who haven't made any noticeable changes in their diet, but as the body becomes accustomed to a certain carb/calorie level, it starts to conserve energy, resulting in a slow weight regain. You also have to consider how "broken" a person's metabolism was when they started LC - if their metabolism had a very low carb tolerance when they started, the body may respond very well at first, but because of the level of impairment before starting, slowly get worse over time, resulting in needing an even more strict version of LC to maintain as the years go by.

And then of course there is age - for some people, it's difficult enough to get the weight off to begin with, even on strict LC, but as the body slows down due to aging, it becomes difficult to keep it off. I'm talking about those who are at least 40 - but by the time you're in your 60's or 70's, it really slows down unless you're extremely vigilant with your diet, or exercise excessively, and by that age, sometimes physical ability limits exercise... and you can only limit your diet so much without sacrificing muscle. So sometimes you need to just accept a slightly higher than ideal weight.

Sometimes people set up an idealistic, but unrealistic goal weight, diet strictly to lose down to goal, but find it simply isn't something that can be maintained. Also, if you've been very obese, your muscle mass and bone mass needs to be higher than normal for your height, just to be able to support the excess weight you carry. As you lose fat, you can expect to lose some of the muscle mass, but you don't want to lose much of it, and you certainly don't want to lose bone mass just to get to some unrealistic goal weight.

I'm sure there are other perfectly legit reasons that people regain weight and never take it off again - surely others will chime in on this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 08:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAus
I am putting this here as I don't want to trigger anyone or for it to cause self doubt. I have noticed there are a lot of people on this board who stay at about the same weight or lose a few pounds in a month only to put them back on again. Some over many months or years... I was wondering why this is?

Perhaps they have found a stable weight. You're describing it perfectly, not static. In a well tuned body the weight goes up a bit and down a bit and can repeat this process in the corse of an hour, day, week, month or year. Some see this as a sign of failure to control the body, and this can cause unnecessary distress in ones mind.

Peoples bodies and habits change over time. It's inevitable. We do have some slight control over our habits or at least can modify them long term but the bodies natural state is to age and eventually cease metabolism all together.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 10:17

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:

I am sure there are lots of different reasons, but when I was 75 lbs overweight, and eating a lot of high carb meals and snacks, a moderate change in my diet resulted in some weight loss. When I hit my goal, a moderate deviation from a strict low carb diet resulted in some weight gain. For some of us, it is just harder to maintain a lower weight than it was to lose weight .
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Hi Jess! I started LC in mid August. My goal was to lose about 20-25#. I’m pretty serious about losing this excess weight. I LC’d several years back lost weight but then just started ‘cheating’, if you will, with ice cream because I wanted it. Then it was French bread etc. We as human can justify anything. 🙃 pretty soon the LC lifestyle is not foremost in your mind.
LC’g is not only a way of eating (which by the way is healthy), but it is a mindset. There are LC breads, ice creams, pasta etc in the grocery. These type of items are not good for the mindset that you are trying to overcome. Theoretically, you are still eating bread, ice cream and pasta. Your way of eating hasn’t changed. Then you are out to dinner they bring rolls with your dinner, that transition to eating that bread is a very easy decision because you have been eating bread. Not too much thought goes into ‘oh that’s high in carbs’. For me, I do not ‘fool’ myself into eating foods that are made to be low carb. I eat as natural as I can. Fresh meat & veggies (low carbs) & some fruits. I do eat low carb tortillas occasionally- if I need to be out and about and need a quick easy lunch. Also salads. I love salads, but didn’t fix them when I was out - I’d fix a sandwich as it was easier to eat on the go. I now fix delicious salads. It really isn’t much trouble at all.
As far as losing weight, I’m losing slowly but losing. Days are up 1/2# then down. I can’t seem to break my lowest number -142.6# which is frustrating but motivating. I diligently watch what I eat, I weigh every morning (keeps me motivated) - but the Big Positive is the NSV (non scale victories). My pants are practically falling off. I’m getting my waist back and my hips are slimming down.
Hang in there - you’ll see changes. Good Luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 10:49

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Nothing has to be broken. The body works to defend a certain status or set point, weight, fat storage, muscle. We often have different opinions from our body about what that status should be. I think that changes in diet exercise and environment can change the body's "opinion," but it always has one.

I personally did bounce around a lot on a low carb diet for something like a decade. Lost 20 pounds initially, that stayed off but anything after that was impermanent. A more ketogenic approach for the last couple of years, including things like the MOAR PHAT and eating less protein approach that's become so controversial has me consistently leaner without causing my lean mass to waste away.

For me at least--things seem to go, the less insuinogenic or more ketogenic the diet, the lower my body weight. As long as I'm eating to appetite--if I eat to be hungry, undereat, I'll not sustain any weight lost that way. It makes sense that a weight the body naturally settles at will be easier to maintain.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 12:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

I struggle with untreated ADD. THat is I dont access the pharma drugs as it has moved to $100 for the first dose by my very pricey insurance. Soooo, Im using OTC options to boost the dopamine. ADD in itself is about how the brain
poorly controls impulses and planning. My first goal every morning is to get in the first dose, then to get in multiple doses thru the day.

ADD meds are VERY controlled. A new prescription every month. Yes that is right, a phone call every month, before my 30 day dose runs out. Give the doc time to write up the script, get the phone call, go to office with ID in hand, sign for the script and deliver it to the drug store. Then wait 15-20 minutes. I have learned to wait, just sit in a chair and wait, because I have forgotten to come back. Then show ID again and sign for the meds.

It is enough that I have to do this for my son. I could no longer do it for both of us, and then with the increase in annual fees, I gave up. At least I have my OTC supplements, and dont run out of those. A drink mix with apartame, and a one pound package of tyrosine from online source.

Otherwise, there has been other issues: getting an ice tea filled with real sugar after just discussing a low carb diet; asking for low carb item at a chinese restaurant, but the sauce had something in it that turned on the "EAT" mode; an injury that limited movement to kitchen and bathroom; a change in job from fast paced to standing still despite protest; stc.

I do best when I make my own foods; avoid family events and try to stay mobile and get my basic OTC supplements.

Someday I would like to have all the fat cells melted away..... so they stop calling for a refill.

Great question Jess!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 17:31

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Jess. I've been an LC "disciple" since the last century. The last millennium! Needless to say, I feel like I've read it all, tried it all, totally been there, done that.

Quote:
And then of course there is age - for some people, it's difficult enough to get the weight off to begin with, even on strict LC, but as the body slows down due to aging, it becomes difficult to keep it off. I'm talking about those who are at least 40 - but by the time you're in your 60's or 70's, it really slows down unless you're extremely vigilant with your diet, or exercise excessively, and by that age, sometimes physical ability limits exercise... and you can only limit your diet so much without sacrificing muscle. So sometimes you need to just accept a slightly higher than ideal weight.

I like this view. Eventually, you just have to figure out what you can live with in the body you have. I've been dreaming of "thin thighs" since I was 18 years old. My body begs to differ.

I'm grateful for this site and all the information and, well, fellowship I've enjoyed over the years with people who struggle against Mother Nature. However, in the last analysis, it's being reconciled with Mother Nature that counts. I've learned that, too.

Good health has a major component of good luck. Cancer? It isn't because you did something wrong. Making peace with who you are is important.

I'm grateful that the pioneers of low-carb eating gave me tools I can use to make my life and my health way better.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 04:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Perhaps they have found a stable weight. You're describing it perfectly, not static. In a well tuned body the weight goes up a bit and down a bit and can repeat this process in the corse of an hour, day, week, month or year. Some see this as a sign of failure to control the body, and this can cause unnecessary distress in ones mind.

Peoples bodies and habits change over time. It's inevitable. We do have some slight control over our habits or at least can modify them long term but the bodies natural state is to age and eventually cease metabolism all together.

This summarizes my point of view. It's a journey of discovery, and you'll learn quickly that weight is only one component of health along with many others. One can set a goal for what is thought to be an ideal weight, and then once achieved, find that the ideal weight is something else, lower or higher. The dynamic that I've learned is that I may have started a strict low carb approach due to wanting to lose weight, but in the journey, I've learned so much more about the many factors in my lifestyle that make me healthy. Enjoy the journey of self discovery.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 05:50

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Rob Abides. I don't know about you all, but I take comfort in that
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 10:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Rob Abides. I don't know about you all, but I take comfort in that

Well played, thud, well played.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 19:06

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Thanks for all the replies - Particularly the very personal ones. It is most appreciated. To those that struggle with every pound of loss, I really think you are inspirational