Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 13:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
By the way, have you ever calculated the numbers for one of your bowl muffins? You know, calories/carbs/protein, etc?

I keep switching my recipe around so it's hard to do! I'll toss a pure CF one into fitday and one with CF/Rice bran and post the results.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 14:00

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know it's a dumb question, but what, exactly, is a bowl muffin? Sounds like a hairdo or something.
  #168   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 14:19

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Nancy_LC has posted her bowl muffin recipe in a couple of places. Here is the one I copied. Haven't tried it yet, but I will pretty soon.

My new Bowl Cake tastes like a very light banana/nut muffin.

1.5 Tbl of Coconut Flour
1 tsp Baking powder (less might be possible)
1/2 tsp (approx) of banana extract
1-2Tbl of sugar equivalent sweetener
Ack! I misread my bottle of sweetener.
1 egg
1 tsp of oil (might be optional)
1-2 T. of chopped walnuts (optional)

I mix the dry ingredients together, crack in the egg, add the other wet stuff and mix until it gets to the consistency of library paste. Then add water until it gets loose and easy to stir (2 Tbl). The coconut flour is THIRSTY and absorbs a lot of liquid. The consistency should be about like thin pancake batter.

Microwave for about 1.5 minutes (in my oven), maybe less. If you overcook it it'll be too dry.
  #169   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 14:47
Experimenter

BF:

The concept is a muffin you can mix and cook in a single bowl.
  #170   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 171cm
BF:
Progress:

Some simple foods:

I'm not sure if fermented foods are really paleo, but as there is saurkraut recipe, I'll give this:

Fermented fish from Finland's Savo/Kainuu region

Caution: don't let the fish touch the ground, or really anything, or it may caught botulism, and it won't be nice. In Norway there died 3 people in 30 year period from eating fermented fish, so it's probably not very big risk.

Ingredients:
Fish (this should not be extremely lean fish, like pickerel for example, it should have atleast as much fat as roach)
Rye flour (optional, this just speeds the fermentation process, and results in different tasting fish)
Salt (also optional)

Take out innards of the fish, leave the kidneys intact, also take off the laminas and head. You can either leave the bones intact or take them off. Don't wash it, but you can rub out some mucus if you want, but the final result is not as strong then.

Now take some wooden/glass/plastic sterile barrel. It's best if you can use some that has air-tight cover to it, but it also should be small enough so you can put something heavy on it so it will put some weight on the fish. Now just put some flour in the barrel, put some fish on it, then some salt, then some flour, then some fish, then some salt etc. until you've used all your fish. Put the cover on and take some sterile weight and put it on the cover. Let sit in warm place for 3 days, then for some weeks in little bit colder environment. The fish has turned red when it's ready, and the meat will separate from the bones very easily.

If you don't want to use any salt and/or flour, just leave them out. I won't take any responsibility if you die after eating this, maybe I forgot some vital part of this recipe.

Boiled organs:

Take liver, kidney, tongue and/or heart. Boil until they/it suit your preferences on softness etc. Put some salt and/or fat on them if you want. Liver and kidneys don't need much boiling of course.. use the boiling water for soups.

Fish soup:

Ingredients:
Everything that's left from a fish after the filets have been cut off, expect entrails. The fish should be big enough, weighing maybe atleast 1kg.

Cut big heads in two parts. Simmer fish parts in water for maybe 15 minutes, take them off the water. Separate all meats you can from the fish heads and other parts, including eyes (you may eat them separately if you want). But the bones back in the water, simmer for about an hour (this shouldn't be done according to laws of culinarists, but nah, it just gives some different flavours to it, I'll say. I'm not sure if this is wise thing to do with very fatty fish, as the fats may oxidize too much). Percolate the water. If you want to use veggies put them there now. Simmer or boil until veggies are soft enough for you. Put the meats in there. Season with whatever you want. Purée.

It's messy and takes some time, but it's a good way to use fish heads and other stuff like that.

Edit: the fish weight (1kg) is for the whole fish before the filets are cut off.
  #171   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 14:10

BF:

I found some sugar-less Smoked Salmon at Whole Foods last night, so I bought two packages, then couldn't figure out what to do with it without bread or crackers. Found this. The picture on the recipe looked beautiful and summery.

Smoked Salmon Salad
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 English hothouse cucumber
2 bunches watercress, trimmed
1 small Granny Smith apple, cored, thinly sliced
8 ounces sliced smoked salmon
preparation
Whisk first 4 ingredients in small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper. Cut cucumber crosswise in half. Using vegetable peeler, cut into long strips to form ribbons. Scatter cucumber, watercress, and apple on 4 plates. Tuck in slices of salmon. Drizzle dressing over.
  #172   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 17:55

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

ohhh......sounds good, what's the brand of the salmon, maybe I can find it somewhere
  #173   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 10:34

BF:

The brand was Blue Hill Bay. They had a lot of varieties of smoked fish, but only a couple were labeled "sugar free." The rest had the usual amounts of sugar.
  #174   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 12:35

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Making this tonight and I'm really excited. Chicken Under a Brick:
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/...nder_brick.aspx

Here's the instructions on how to debone it and such, although I'm just using a half chicken that I got from the store (I like dark meat and DH likes light, so half a chicken is a perfect meal for us ):
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00138.asp

I'm also making cauliflower with a roasted red pepper sauce. Recipe:
1 red bell pepper
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1.5 tablespoon olive oil

roast the bell pepper at 350 for one hour. remove from oven and wrap in foil and let it cool. remove the skin and the seeds and put in the food processor

heat the vinegar and garlic together in a small saucepan for several minutes, then strain the vinegar into the food processor. add the oil as well.

process until smooth (this is the end of the actual recipe, although for my sauce I also added a small pinch of sea salt and a small pinch of red pepper flakes)
  #175   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 22:08

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm going to write down my whole cauliflower thing, because it came out really really well.

ROASTY CAULIFLOWER
-----------------------
heat some olive oil in a cast iron skillet with 1 clove of peeled, smashed garlic

add cauliflower florets and a pinch of sea salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower gets brown and roasty

once it's roasty, remove the pan from the heat and cover. let it sit for at least 5 minutes

serve drizzled with the roasted red pepper sauce from my previous post

If you like garlic, make sure to eat the nice browned garlic clove. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know why, but this was really really good tonight.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 10:28

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Not a recipe per say but a useful item I found.

Better Than Boullion makes ORGANIC beef and chicken boullion base. It does contain a little cane sugar and maltodextrin, but it doesn't contain a single ingredient I don't recognize and specifically it is gluten and soy free. I've been looking for nearly 2 years for one that was safe on both counts.

No, it isn't as good as home made stock but its a mostly legal short cut when needed. Make sure its the organic though. The regular has both soy and gluten!
  #177   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 11:40
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah! If you go to their web site they have a shocking number of types of things... even lobster flavored.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 10:33
Experimenter

BF:

Paleo Porridge (I think this might become a new comfort food for me)
3 Tbls of coconut flour
coconut milk poured on top until it becomes soupy
chopped pecans
(sweetener if you want)

Microwave until hot.

It was good!
  #179   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 11:05

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Paleo Porridge (I think this might become a new comfort food for me)
3 Tbls of coconut flour
coconut milk poured on top until it becomes soupy
chopped pecans
(sweetener if you want)

Microwave until hot.

It was good!

Mmmm, that does sound good! I wonder if Whole Foods has coconut flour?
  #180   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 11:09
Experimenter

BF:

You can order it online from netrition.com, simplycoconut.com and a number of other places.

I think next time I'll put a pat of butter on it.