Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:00

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

From the article by Lyle that i linked to above:

Quote:
A good rule of thumb is to consume 1.5 grams of carbs/kg lean body mass, with approximately one half as much protein, immediately after training and then again two hours later. Additionally the consumption of carbohydrates prior to (and even during) the workout prior to your carb-up will lead to higher rates of glycogen resynthesis, most likely as a result of higher insulin levels when the carb-up begins (1,10). It is recommended that individuals consume a small carbohydrate meal approximately 1-2 hours prior to the training session that precedes the carb-up.

I could probably get into ketosis even quicker. I dont workout saturday or sunday, if i did that would speed ketosis. Also i started taking chromium this week so that will probably help too.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 08:48

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

Jalilah, I read somewhere to try to take in lots of high GI carbs immediately after your last big workout when you are maximally depleted.
That's what I'm going to try to do this afternoon.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:08

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

That's what I did. LOL. Only I didn't realize just HOW much I was nibbling on driving home from the gym!

My reaction to eating Skittles:

<----- the little girl in me

<------- the low carber in me

I was so stupid, though, and forgot to look at the back of the package to see how many carbs are in what serving size. As I'd suspected, there are a LOT of carb grams in one serviing size of skittles----and a serving size is only 1/4C. YIKES! So what do I do now... not eat anything but protein the rest of the day??

What a dork I am.

Oh... and MAN but the hunger is really kicking in big time, too.

Hope I don't cave and end up eating 18,000 calories! LOL... I don't think I want to know how many I've eaten just snacking in the car on the way home from the gym.

rakenfrakenrussinfussin!
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:31

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

i just ran some quick numbers using assumptions

150lbs * 25 % body fat = 112 LBM = 50 kg LBM * 9 grams carbs/kg = 450 grams of carbs.

I assume skittles have a hig carb count but 450 grams in a serving? Heck my whole 1 lb bag of smarties only has 400 grams in it.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:49

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
i just ran some quick numbers using assumptions

150lbs * 25 % body fat = 112 LBM = 50 kg LBM * 9 grams carbs/kg = 450 grams of carbs.

I assume skittles have a hig carb count but 450 grams in a serving? Heck my whole 1 lb bag of smarties only has 400 grams in it.

You were close! LOL. 24% body fat. The parameters I got was 556g carbs on day #1, and 334g on day #2.

Again, I didn't have all the information to input, so I'm sure it's off. I may have overshot my waist size, too. I tried not to guess UNDER, if you know what I mean.

I need to go buy another tape measure today----mine's been MIA for about a year now, and I always forget to measure weekly, or even monthly at the gym. I suppose I should get the BF calipers, too, but not sure where to find those.

Thanks for checking that for me, Doug. As soon as I get a tape measure (and hopefully I can find calipers, too) I'll get a more accurate reading.

Oh.. I remember what the other item I put in was-----my weight. After my first BFL-style free day carb up my weight went up to 161...in a day (from 157/158). I guess that was water because after about 24hrs on 20g carbs I felt smaller (if that makes any sense at all).
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 11:27

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Well, since my sexual organs have acheived there maximum deployment long ago, and if my brain shrinks a bit, maybe I won't be such a fat headed jerk, I think I will continue to add some Soy in my diet thank you very much

Regards,
Lux
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 11:50

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just bringing to your attention that it's an inferior source of protein compared to other things.

I've given tofu a fair shot in my diet; it's never worked for me.