Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 02:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low-carb revolution for diabetes patients

Low-carb revolution for diabetes patients

https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news...betes-patients/

Quote:
A TRAILBLAZING scheme to reverse type 2 diabetes is being extended across Keighley and Craven (in West Yorkshire, UK) following “astonishing” results among test patients.

The revolutionary eating plan saw an 85% drop in diabetes medication for people who took part in the initial pilot scheme through local GP surgeries.

The Very Low Carbohydrate Diet Programme, spearheaded by doctors in the Modality Partnership, helps patients manage, or even reverse, diabetes without medication.

The first trials, which began early in 2018, also showed improvements in control of diabetes, cholesterol levels, and reductions in body fat and overall weight.
Quote:
Medical professionals across the UK are working to persuade the NHS to modify its advice on dealing with diabetes and adopt low-carb diets as a mainstream treatment for patients.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 06:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Trailblazing indeed. (I love how that word ended up in all caps in the article.)

You'd think part of medical training would include the history of diabetes treatment. You'd think that training would include the fact that before the invention of injectable insulin, the ONLY way for diabetics to control blood sugar was by strictly limiting carb intake. You'd think that over all those decades, more than a few med students would have a moment, realizing that perhaps it would still be possible to treat diabetes that way.

You'd think it wouldn't have taken so many decades for anyone to realize the advice that "you must eat a minimum of 30 g carbs per meal" nonsense they've been telling diabetics for so long is just insane.

You'd think that they would have figured out long ago that every patient eating the exact way they've been told to eat only continues to worsen. But no - they continued to shrug their shoulders, lamenting that there was nothing else they could do other than increase insulin dosages.

I wonder how long before they figure out that they could significantly lower the number of new diabetes cases by cutting the amount of recommended carbs for everyone?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 09:20

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

That's excellent news! It's great that we're seeing more stories like this. It may be old hat to us, but most people still think that cutting fat and going vegetarian is healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 12:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Doctors are old school..... way behind the times......

Thrilled to see the continued push for LC support..... the tidal wave is building !!! Hoping to see it crash into the US!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 12:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Excellent post, Calianna. My grandfather graduated from med school (U of Toronto where Banting & Best discovered insulin) in 1920 and knew all about low-carb/keto diets for diabetics (and epileptics). In the early days of insulin availability, patients were NOT told to eat all the carbs they wanted and just "cover" it with insulin. WWI & WWII probably helped to curb sugar intake. As a family physician in the US during the Depression and beyond he helped patients who couldn't afford much insulin to cut their carbs to save on drug costs and promote better health (less loss of extremities to gangrene & vision to retinopathy, and at lower cost).

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Oct-10-19 at 13:10.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 12:58

BF:

Makes me sad that doctors knew what to do...... the current mess must be due to changes in the 1970's.....one doctor with a loud voice, and government agencies jumping to conclusions jyst to get programs on place no matter how poor the data......maybe todays doctors have been as victimized as the rest of us.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 13:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Makes me sad that doctors knew what to do...... the current mess must be due to changes in the 1970's.....one doctor with a loud voice, and government agencies jumping to conclusions jyst to get programs on place no matter how poor the data......maybe todays doctors have been as victimized as the rest of us.
And Big Pharma pushing drugs to doctors and government agencies. Patients heard what they wanted to hear - why cut back on junk food when there are drugs for your condition? … and more drugs and surgery to cover the side effects as your life becomes more miserable. They should all be given the alternative, a diet that can spare them from side effects and disease progression.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Oct-10-19 at 13:11.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-19, 13:49

BF:

so so true.

And the rediculous cost in cuurent health care due to all the related diseases that become chronic..... all avoidable.

We NEED a reversal in all these diseases.....because they ARE avoidable.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 06:47

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

One of my kids had to write a research paper and he chose low carb eating. One section of the paper was all about the food pyramid and how it came to be. Apparently, the senator that was the head of the agriculture committee was snubbed by the cattle ranchers in his state, while the wheat farmers supported his reelection. And so the food pyramid was born.

The indoctrination ran deep. I can recall that in the late 80's I'd sit around with my college roommates and we'd be eating fresh-baked whole grain bread, congratulating ourselves for eating something both healthy and delicious, and laughing at the thought of what would happen to us if "they" ever said bread was bad. Even back then, skinny as I was, I would be famished and shaky an hour after eating a bowl of raisin bran or oatmeal with skim milk, but I didn't make the connection until 30 years later.

I feel so stupid now, but I can't fault doctors (who probably aren't as carb sensitive as I am) for not figuring it out either.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-19, 08:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, it's been a long process to relearn what was common knowledge back in the day when people didn't have "convenient" frankenfoods to have a quick meal. Whole foods prepared as meals in the times before wheat and other grains were re-engineered for faster growth and pest resistance were far healthier when accompanied with a healthy serving of animal protein.