Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%
Default "New" product review: sandwich thins

Hi everyone.

I have been dutiful, every weekend I make these big deep-dish pizza quiche -style eggy things out of the big muffin pan, and the have made a terrific low-carb INSTANT breakfast on busy weekdays. Even my husband eats them, heats ours in the oven while I dress the girls. Problem is, they are designed to be eaten on some kind of wrap on the go-tres messy. I have thus far kept it to a minimum by incorporating two slices of crappy $1/loaf sandwich bread, at 12 net carbs/slice, and I eat as little of it as I can get away with. Thats probably not going to fly with the new regimen.

Now, couple of months ago, I found these sandwich thins. I have been known to eat a lot of egg and chicken salad from one side of these things. And a hearty serving of cream cheese and bacon and im in heaven. But I never really considered them low carb fare.

for one roll:

100 cal
1g fat
21 carb
5 fiber
16 g net carbs
5g protein-wow, that tells me theyre actually using the WHOLE grain. what a concept.

so i could get away with half a roll, theyre pretty sturdy. so 8 g fiber for breakfast, plus whatever veggie ive added to the eggy mixture this week.

what do YOU guys think about them? workable, usable, or a slippery slope?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 19:05
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Well...not knowing what the exact ingredients are, I can't give you an opinion. Why don't you post the ingredients.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 20:32

Geez, its like pulling teeth, I cant FIND an ingredient list online, and its been a coupla months since I tossed the original package. the ones I have are orowheat, but I cant find them, here is the "arnolds" version. close enough? When I was really athletic, I ate orowheat a lot, seriously crunchy bread. I mean, they would tuck literally, whole seeds in this bread, I would have to floss afterwards. They seemed really into the true "whole grain" deal. I guess for normal humans, this is the best option. This product seems just as chunky/crunchy.

Kinda makes me wonder, since they dont reveal the whole ingredients list. I was kind of basing everything on net carbs vs usefulness.

I was just curious what the LC community thought about it, at large. Seems the attitudes towards dreamfields has certainly shifted.

Arnolds:
Whole wheat flour, unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], water, cellulose fiber, yeast, polydextrose, wheat gluten, sugar, cracked wheat, rye, salt, ground corn, canola oil, preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), grain vinegar, guar gum, cultured wheat flour, brown rice, oats, monoglycerides, soybeans, triticale, barley, flaxseed, millet, citric acid, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sucralose, soy lecithin

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyp.../#ixzz1J5E3Fw2h
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 20:54
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Whole wheat flour, unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], water, cellulose fiber, yeast, polydextrose, wheat gluten, sugar, cracked wheat, rye, salt, ground corn, canola oil, preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), grain vinegar, guar gum, cultured wheat flour, brown rice, oats, monoglycerides, soybeans, triticale, barley, flaxseed, millet, citric acid, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sucralose, soy lecithin

Sorry, it just looks like bread to me. You wouldn't find it in my shopping cart.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 21:06
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Arnolds:

Yes, way too many highly processed grains for me...I wouldn't buy it either.
Sorry!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 04:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Have you tried the Atkins revolution roll recipe or Cleochatra's adaptation, the oopsie roll?

I make mine using mayonnaise instead of the original cream cheese (to save my cheese allowance for other things) and have found that if I cook a third of the recipe in the microwave as one large bun instead of ovenbaking them they turn out fairly "bready". this suggestion was from a member at a different support board, not my own invention.

I also sometimes spread the "batter" out to make round slices of it that work well for sandwiches
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 11:21

hi, ellen. the egg muffins basically ARE the oopsie rolls. aThey would be fine to eat with a fork, but unfortunately, they usually get eaten in the car on our way downtown. hmm.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 12:08

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I wouldn't buy them either. Just flatter bread.

I just eat such things in old-fashioned wax paper. Like what they wrap around messy street food like gyros.

or you can google "primal sandwich replace" and there are articles out there.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 14:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I wasn't going to do this but decided to share what I do.

I do eat this Ezekiel bread from this company:
http://www.foodforlife.com/

I get it at my local health food store and allow 1 slice every couple of days. Sometimes it is my 1 serving of starch for the day and thats OK with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodforlife
Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products

Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products are:

Flourless,
Organic,
Complete Protein,
and Sprouted Whole Grain
We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.

Ezekiel 4:9® Bread, made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat. Try it served warm to release its exceptionally rich nutty flavor.

This Biblical Bread is Truly the Staff of Life

I'm sue that it is sold in Northern Calif.