Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 22:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool home-made Ghee (clarified butter +), and variations

Ghee and clarified butter are wonderful, and give a rich flavour when cooking foods. They can be used where plain butter cannot, since the milk solids have been removed ........ there's less risk of scorchinng at higher heat.

Homemade Ghee

1 pound unsalted butter

Place butter in a saucepan and slowly melt over medium heat. When the butter comes to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered and undisturbed for about 30 minutes. As the water content is gradually evaporated, the butter will foam and make crackling noises. The color will initially be a cloudy yellow.

You'll know that ghee is ready when:
  • Noise changes from crackling to a boiling sound.
    Foaming almost ceases.
    Milk solids at the bottom turn from white to tan.
    A crusty film forms around the edges of the pan
Immediately remove from the heat --- ghee can easily burn. (If it burns it will begin to rapidly foam again and turn dark brown instead of golden). Cool slightly.

To strain out the milk solids use an ultra-fine stainless steel strainer or cheesecloth. The strained out solids may be used as a flavoring agent. (wonderful in an omelet or scrambled eggs) Makes 1-1/2 cups. I recommend keeping it in the fridge, although some resources say it's fine at room temperature.

per Tbsp (15 ml) - 0g carbs, 0g protein, 13g fat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** This is how I've made it; many cookbooks will have slight variations to these directions. My general rule of thumb is --- if you think the temperature is too hot, you're right .. .. Turn it down a notch. It will brown rapidly once it starts ... have the sink filled with cold water, so you can put the pan in it to halt the process. If it's truly burnt and scorched, too bad, throw it out. But, if it's just a light shade of brown ... it's still usable -- the flavour will be quite nutty and pronounced. I like it sort of half-way .. a bit more golden than plain clarified butter, but not completely brown!

enjoy!

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 22:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

This is wonderful, I've made it several times ... and I'm going to make another batch tomorrow. I've used it for meats, lamb and beef ... scrambled eggs (yum!) .. fish and especially vegetables -- mushrooms, onions and zucchini are awesome sautéed in seasoned ghee ... or you can melt it and brush on slices of eggplant for broiling or grilling.

Seasoned Ghee

1 pound unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 cup/125 ml)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon crushed cumin seed
1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cinnamon stick piece, about 1" long
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (preferably whole seed)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace

Combine butter, onion, garlic and spices -- and proceed as for plain ghee. You will have to watch it carefully .. since the colour will be more golden from the spices. When it's ready, strain out all the solids, and refrigerate.

Carb count will be a trace for the whole recipe ... 0 per Tbsp.

Doreen