Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 02:56

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question Metabolic Resistant, Meat Fast, Fat Fast plus Pig out Day once a Week…

I have been doing a lot of reading on “starvation mode” and how to boost your metabolism, mainly from people on LC and athletes

The way for them to “know” they are not in “starvation mode” if by finding their own daily personal caloric energy expended (all of us are so different, how much activity, how much muscle we have, how much exercise we do a day plus the energy your body usually needs just to survive at your own age and weight) finding that “personalize number” you go and rest only 500 calories from it, that will be the “perfect lowest” number of calories you should eat a day so you wont be on “starvation mode”. Only 500 calories under that number…

In other words “starvation mode” is subjective, if you spend 3000 calories a day, then with eating 2500 calories a day you won’t be under “starvation”, but if your daily caloric number is 1800, then the lowest you can go is 1300 calories so you won’t be on “starvation mode”. (this is just for people that are trying to accelerate the process of losing weight when the normal LC diet is not working, how to find the lowest total calorie you can eat without jeopardizing your metabolic rhythm, your body muscle and health.)

Then you enroll in a weekly meat-fat fast, this means that once a week they only eat meat or fats, I still can't understand the difference very well but they also make sure one day a week they over eat some 500 calories..

This will look something like this :

Find your lowest calorie intake, i.e. 1400 calories, with comfortable Low NetCarb.

1. Mon.............1400 calories............25g Net Carbs

2. Tue..............1400 calories............25g. net carbs

3. Wed.............meat fast..................(only meat = 0 carbs)

4. Thu..............fat fast.....................(80% to 90% fats = fast boost)

5. Fri.............1400 calories..............25g Net carbs.

6. Sat............2000 calories..……....(boost calories, pig out day)

7. Sun............1400 calories............25g. Net carbs.

I wonder if someone here do a week fast as a rule? Or add more calories once a week to keep your body from being always on the same amount of calories? And well I have never done a meat fast, does it work? That will mean one day with 0 carbs right?

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:17

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 206/206/145 Female 5 FEET 7 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 0%

I Am Interested In Hearing What People Have To Say About The Fat Fast Also. Are You Considering Following This Week Fast?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 08:00

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%

I routinely do one day or at times two days a week that I PIG OUT but only on high fat/meat foods hence it would kinda fit the description above. Essentially my other days seems to be rather benign and I follow a strict calorie diet (about 1200-1400) and very few carbs. This has been the only way that I have broken my goal weight and slowly worked my way lower (now I have a new goal weight).

Anyhow I am not sure about the scientific approach to it all but for me it's always what I call the "shock your system" method. Every so often introduce something that freaks yours system to bits -- whether it is a high carb day or a massive high fat day or even a cleansing day where all you have is tea or water or whatnot. Again I play with this all the time and in other words I am trying to not let my body get used to anything long enough.

Hopefully others will reply so we can see some more ideas or results for that matter in regards to what you suggested.

Cheers
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 08:53

BF:

Shock your system

I like this concept, I will start doing this for myself and see if I can see new advantages.

I have been on Ketosis for 37 days now and not one pound has shown on the scale, I have gotten a lot of tips here, that lead me to a very clean diet (no cheese or any processed food, just mayo) and my range is 1200 calories 20g. netcarbs 60 to 75% fat with exercise etc…on the other hand I also went to check my blood test for thyroid problems, cortisol levels, insuline resistant or other possible thing that might be slowing me down.

Upping the calories as some have suggested have only make me gain, so I just decided my body was different, I have try upping my fat but then I only eat like 600 calories or get very upset stomach, so I decided to start this idea of “keep my body guessing” and see where this lead me to. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You might be interested in a project we did here in 2001

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...+study+stillman

It worked really well for some of the participants and not as well for others but no one gained any fat from doing it!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
You might be interested in a project we did here in 2001
It worked really well for some of the participants and not as well for others but no one gained any fat from doing it!
Karen

Constipation

I have controlled my Constipation by taking away all my dairy products and by adding some Fiber, I wonder if when you do a Fat Fast, (where you can’t have fiber) does people experience Constipation? **for people that have problem on this are..¡!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:19

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've heard many people say that a once in a while pig out will keep the body from kicking in "starvation" mode. I may have to try that. I'm having trouble getting past 200.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 00:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I wonder if when you do a Fat Fast, (where you can’t have fiber) does people experience Constipation?
Well, on a Fat Fast there is almost no residue from the food you eat so it would make sense that there would be no bowel movement.

Karen