Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 09:16

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

OMG. I tried a pancake version this morning and I swear it is THE BEST thing I've had in a long, long time!

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream, water, sf maple syrup

Nuked for 2 minutes and as promised by Nancy, I had one happy tummy!!!

Heavenly!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 01:55
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Oh, I am SO glad I stumbled across this thread tonight! I'm trying this in the morning!!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 14:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 308/260/175 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 36%

Tried a version of the brownie bowl and I know that I'm going to be in love. Of course I read so many of the versions last night when I found the thread and didn't write any of them down that it was just hit and miss this morning but yummy none the less.

1/4 c CQ
1 egg
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp Splenda
water to blend and 2 minutes in nuker

I took a LC Russel Stovers Chocolate (looks like the treasure chest) candy and melted it and used it for a frosting. YUM YUM YUM!!!

Thanks ever so much for posting this idea as I have decided that the day I weigh in I am going to allow myself to go for it!!!

Will post back with any interesting combinations and check back for any new ideas.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 15:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The pancake idea is great! I love all the variations people are coming up with. Yeah! I put some SF chocolate in my brownie bowls sometimes! I wonder if there are SF caramels out there?
  #65   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 15:48

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
And I made a microwave mini cheesecake version which was dangerously good!

Did you say cheese cake???? OMG! How did you make it?! hehehe
  #66   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 17:16

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

OK, I have MiniCarb stuff (bought for 50 cents ~ box) up the yazoo. That being said, I used the zero carb baking mix for muffins that DH can take to work. I also eat the muffins I've been experimenting with. For DH though, they have to travel well and these most certainly do. They were moist and good. These would also lend themselves to Potatofree's wonderful cream cheese frosting.

1/4 cup MiniCarb Zero Carb Baking Mix
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
2 Tbs[ ground flaxsee meal
1 egg
1/2 mashed banana
Small handful of chopped walnut meats
Brown Sugar Twin to sweeten
Cream added until batter consistancy

Nuked in heart shaped molds for 2.5 min. Made 4 hearts. These would freeze really well.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 17:19

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Julie Huck.......

Julie, I just read the ingredients listed on my Designer whey protein powder. There is absolutely no mention of lactose anywhere.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 18:27

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wonder if there are SF caramels out there?

A few weeks ago I found sugar free vanilla caramels in my local dollar store - They were made by a company called Asher's (located in Pennsylvania apparently and a "fine chocolate company"). They were EXTREMELY good. Maybe they can be found on the internet? I had never heard of the brand before and really haven't looked into it any further.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 21:32

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Hi lonewolf I kind of just winged this. But I did like it a bunch.

Microwave Low Carb Bowl Cheesecake

Cream Cheese 4 oz
heavy whipping cream 1/4 cup
splenda 1/4 cup
egg 1 each
vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
lemon juice 1/2 tsp

I warmed the cheese a bit and then mixed everything together until it was smooth and then put it in the microwave for 2 to 4 min. You can see the center just starting to firm up. Now here's the hard part. Refrigerate until it's cooled off. I admit I couldn't make it that far. I ate it before it had a chance to cool. Loved it though. Best thing was that there wasn't the rest of the cheese cake calling my name sitting in the refrigerator afterward. Ideally this would be 2 servings. 1 serving being 361 cal, Carbs 5g, fat 33.5g, protein 7g.

And! Thanks Dawna I'll have to pick up some whey protein powder

Julie Huck

Last edited by Julie Huck : Thu, May-05-05 at 21:39.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, May-06-05, 03:28
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Just made one of those "breakfast bowl omelets"!

1/3 cup almond meal
1 egg
a little over 1/8 tsp. baking powder
a little bit of shredded cheese
a small handful of cooked bacon pieces

Put a little bit of butter on top after it was done. That really hit the spot!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 17:00

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Thanks so much for letting me know how you made the cheesecake bowl! I'll have to try that one for dessert!

On those Ascher's candies, my local LC/vitamin store carries them. The guy says they are the best LC chocolates out there, though he carries several different brands. They have too much sugar alcohols in them for me though.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 09:39

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I finally succumed to all the hype and joined the cult of the bowl muffin. Wow- I had to keep going back and reading the carb count on the ingredients because I couldn't believe something so full of tasty bready goodness could be legal! I made superaunt's pancake version, and I finally used my Atkins bake mix that I've had laying around forever. I think I'll decrease the cream next time. I liked it, but I used 1/4 cup of cream and the other 1/2 cup liquid was water and the other syrups. Since I gobbled it up by myself, I'm thinking I should probably go easier next time on all the calories from the cream.

So, I have a question. Has anyone tried baking this in an actual oven, rather than the microwave? I know that starts to become a whole lot more like cooking, and less like microwave magic, but I'm curious. Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 10:01

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

Hehe

Well, I don't know about everyone else and I could be wrong on this one, but I practically do use flax with everything. It's such a great ingredient!! I've even turned my 85-year-old grandmother on to it!! It's such a great, great source of fiber which may be lacking in some of our lc diets. Just be sure to freeze it after you use it so it stays fresh longer.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 11:23

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by superaunt
Hehe

Well, I don't know about everyone else and I could be wrong on this one, but I practically do use flax with everything. It's such a great ingredient!! I've even turned my 85-year-old grandmother on to it!! It's such a great, great source of fiber which may be lacking in some of our lc diets. Just be sure to freeze it after you use it so it stays fresh longer.

Thanks for the hint on freezing it- I didn't know that. I'm getting pretty excitied about this flax thing. I just read the thread on flax bread. I can't get it out of my head that this is too good to be true!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 05:44

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
Thanks for the hint on freezing it- I didn't know that. I'm getting pretty excitied about this flax thing. I just read the thread on flax bread. I can't get it out of my head that this is too good to be true!

It's even better if you grind it yourself. I use the golden flax (just because I prefer the taste). I keep the flax seeds in the freezer. Then I grind enough, in a coffee grinder, to fill a small ziploc disposable container (which I also keep in the freezer). This will last me a few days unless I am using a lot for a recipe.

The already ground flax is very handy, especially if you are using a lot, but I, personally, think that the taste of freshly ground is superior.

Phyllis