Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Fustrated - Thomas 1951

High all,
Just wanted to drop y'all a line to introduce myself. My name is Thomas1951 a 64 year old hypertensive diabetic since 1994. I'm currently on a ketogenic diet for the last 6 months with no results. Could someone please point me in the right direct and tell me why I'm on a plateau and what I'm doing wrong - Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 20:31

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Thomas, welcome! I never heard the term hypertensive diabetic, what is that?

Tell us what you eat daily, everything each meal, food and beverage.

Start a journal, write your weight, blood sugar, and intake daily.

Pick one plan and stick to it.

Read this forum. The people here won't let you down.

I hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 20:47

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 275/275/200 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Hypertensive Diabetic means he has High Blood Pressure and also is a Diabetic.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 03:39

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you look up Dr. Jason Fung online, he changes lives, he's amazing . I know it was a real eye opener for me. He has a website, blog and vidoes. Study this forum hard. There's a ton of info that can help you heal yourself. I was having same issues and I'm slowly clearing it up. I've lost family to this disease and hate to see so many struggle. Dr. Fung is a real blessing. Best of luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Back, Thomas

So I can see from your previous posts that one year ago this month you were asking the same questions. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...29&page=3&pp=15

Let us know what you have been doing since then. Are your stats and profile current? (tap UserCP to edit) Were you able to get off all medications? Have you contacted the doctors suggested? Are you still working with a VA RD who supports your plan? In addition to the HealClinic distance program, Dr. Westman now has all his information and 21 FAQs https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourLife/?fref=ts on a free on-line program site: https://www.adaptyourlife.com

I also started with New Atkins for a New You and it worked well for me, until it didn't. Here are Dr. Westman's 10 tips to break a stall, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202 and you will see #8 is "old Atkins" or counting total carbs (20g total carbs per day). That is what many here and in his local support group need to do after being overweight/diabetic for a long time, and 22 years is that. (Think you were down to even fewer carbs last time...what is your TC per day now? When you say Ketogenic for 6 months, was it less than 20g Carbs? Did you test blood ketones?)

It is the diet with the most clinical evidence for optimum weight loss and reversing diabetes, simply called a “No Sugar, No Starch” plan, also a little booklet on Amazon. A video introduction, the diet plan (the Two Week Challenge) and his studies on reversing T2 diabetes, obesity, fatty liver, PCOS and more are now all at: http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Please also spend some time reading back through threads at the Diabetes forum. This recent page has much good new advice. Note a FREE Diabetes summit is going on right now, Dr. Westman's interview will be available one more day: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...isplay.php?f=45

Dr. Fung has already been mentioned, the other new doctor to consider is Dr. Sarah Hallberg. There is so much new info there since you last visited.

The simpliest, only 18 minute TedxTalk explaining insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity is by Dr. Sarah Hallberg.
Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
It has had almost 700,000 views in 11 months because her explanation is so clear and concise. Also her 15 minute How To Start LCHF is helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4D...eature=youtu.be Both videos found on YouTube or FitterU.com

I could go on and on...better stop now As others have replied, we need to know more what you are eating, to offer specific suggestions such as you may be eating too much protein, fake foods, whatever. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-20-16 at 03:06.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 18:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Jey100,
I am actually amazed that you remembered me after a full year. I have done a lot of research on atkins and the ketogenic diet. I have kept a year long log of what I have eaten on a daily bases, and it follows atkins to the letter. I have lost 4 lbs in a year, and that's the Gods honest truth. So now I'm on a Keto diet since Jan 2016.I've read Westman, Moore, Hallberg, Volek, Phinney, Fuhrman, Berg, Emmerich, Givens, Mancinelli and more. I believe through research that the real reason why I can't seem to lose is that I'm extremely Insulin resistant. Do you agree with me? I started the Keto diet and going to give it a year. I just came off a 5 day fast ( water only) and lost only 1.25 lbs.
I can send you a list of what I eat daily, but the list would be pretty long. I'll look up all the sites you mentioned and see what I can find. Thank you once again for such a quick response and hope to hear from you soon.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 19:15

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If the list is long, you may be eating hidden carbs, Thomas. I say that because the list of foods most of us who eat very low carb eat in a day is: whole foods, and that's it.

Example (me, today)

Today I had two cups of tea, one with HWC, two eggs scrambled with HWC, bacon and cheese, along with two strips of thin bacon for breakfast.

Snacks were 1 cheese stick and 2 tbsp of almonds.

Dinner: burger (80% fat) with two slices of cheddar cheese, 1/2 avocado. Had Siggi's full fat yogurt (9 gms carbs) with cream, and herbal tea, which I'm currently drinking with some more HWC.

OH, probably 7 8 oz glasses of water along the way, and I'll have another by bedtime.

See? not a lot of ingredients.

Also, I try to eat within a 10 or 11 hour window, because that helps keep insulin lower, too.

I know it can be frustrating to have to deal with the damage we've done to our own bodies. But being T2D as long as you have been, you ARE very insulin resistant, and it will take time and precise eating.

That's why Janet recommends that you hook up with one of the doctors who are committed to helping diabetics lower their BGs with diet, and to increase their insulin sensitivity, as well.

Unless you have been trained to do that, you won't be as successful as you can be. We've seen so much success from working with these amazing men and women!

Welcome back, Thomas!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 03:54

Quote:
I am actually amazed that you remembered me after a full year.
I do have a good memory (all those healthy fats in my diet ) but actually what happened is noticed you had 16 posts already, then tap on your name to read through them my secret is out. A year ago you were starting to lose 3-4 pounds a week and had reduced your insulin by 70%. Did you regain those or have to increase insulin? Your BG was normal after a few weeks...are you off all meds now? Insulin is a fat-storing hormone so if still on it, that alone may be blocking weight loss, plus your insulin resistance. I know it sounds "crazzzy" as Dr Fung says, but he suggests longer fasts for IR. Plus very a LC diet, Dr Westman's plan is on the DietDoctor two week challenge or the Adapt site.
But if you are still on meds you must be careful adjusting dose...are you still working with your VA? There are many more LC doctors and diabetes educators but they may not be covered by your insurance. Also support groups may help you. Any chance you retired to the DC area? Big new support group in WV close to DC, and beside us here some Facebook pages specifically for "Reversing Diabetes". I had the same reaction as MickiSue to your "long list" of foods...eating LC is pretty simple and usually results in eating less food but without hunger. Eating 1-2 meals in a compressed time, giving your body time to rest without food, is a helpful eating pattern I mentioned last year.

Also a brand new "Eat to Your Meter" article, try testing some of the foods you have been eating. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-to-your-meter/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-23-16 at 05:10.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 06:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1951
Hi Jey100,
I am actually amazed that you remembered me after a full year. I have done a lot of research on atkins and the ketogenic diet. I have kept a year long log of what I have eaten on a daily bases, and it follows atkins to the letter. I have lost 4 lbs in a year, and that's the Gods honest truth. So now I'm on a Keto diet since Jan 2016.I've read Westman, Moore, Hallberg, Volek, Phinney, Fuhrman, Berg, Emmerich, Givens, Mancinelli and more. I believe through research that the real reason why I can't seem to lose is that I'm extremely Insulin resistant. Do you agree with me? I started the Keto diet and going to give it a year. I just came off a 5 day fast ( water only) and lost only 1.25 lbs.
I can send you a list of what I eat daily, but the list would be pretty long. I'll look up all the sites you mentioned and see what I can find. Thank you once again for such a quick response and hope to hear from you soon.

Hypertension plus losing only 1.25 pounds on a five day water fast suggests water retention issues. If everything else remained the same, and you'd lost 1.25 pounds of pure fat in five days, that would only provide 550 calories per day, it's highly unlikely that your metabolic rate would ever go down that low, that leaves water. If you're resistant to the highly diuretic effect of fasting (the numbers suggest that not only didn't you lose water during your fast, you actually gained a little water weight), it's not surprising if you're also resistant to the smaller diuretic effect of a ketogenic diet. This sounds like something you need to get your doctor to help you figure out. I don't want to be alarmist, but if it turned out that this was due to something like heart failure, the earlier you catch it, the better your options are.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 08:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Teaser,
Let me first say "Thank You" for your quick response. First of all I take Furosemide 20mg for water retention every morning. I just left my doctor at the VA several days ago and he told me that my heart was "strong with no problems", but this is a doctor who thinks the atkins and ketogenic diets are garbage science. Maybe its time to look for a civilian doctor, but leaving in mid western Florida does not leave you a lot of options. Thanks Teaser
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 10:07

Good catch by teaser. I have a friend who had water retention and was hospitalized. After all the tests, it was not a heart issue,nor some of the commonly listed reasons, but a build-up caused by "an infection". They were able to drain it in hospital and then diuretics at home. Jimmy Moore has a number of docs on his list in mid-west FL, some are chiropractors, not MDs but check http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com and PrimalDocs, then call to check if really LC.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-23-16 at 11:07.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Dear Jey100,
Thanks for the help, I'll follow up on your blog you gave me.
T. A. Stevens
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 12:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for the thanks. A good friend on the forum was recently diagnosed with heart failure, so it's sort of on my mind.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 11:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Teaser,
I have found through life experience that their's no small detail that should be over looked.
tom stevens
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Dear JEY100 and Teaser,
I'm going to go on a ADF and on my eat day stay with a Ketogenic diet for 30 days. If I can loose around 5 pounds, I'll stay with that program. I'll also stay with what i'm doing at the gym, unless you have a better idea.

Thank you
Thomas1951