Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 17:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Well Thanks goodness for this forum, and especially this thread. I started back on Atkins a few days ago doing things just as I was taught here on the forum back in 2002.....20 carbs a day, learn to love fat again and don't forget protein. More or less keep carbs at 5%, protein at 20 to 25% and fat at 65 to 70%.** I've been doing that for 4 days now (lost 3 lbs by the second day). Today I decided I should take a look at "The New Atkins Made Easy". Doctor A must be turning over in his grave. I'm staying with what works.

**PS And stay away from franken food ! (as in frankenstein)

Last edited by jude : Thu, Apr-21-16 at 17:15.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:28

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 420/420/200 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I want to be sure I'm doing this right.

Yesterday I ate:

1/4 lb. Roast Beef (Boars Head)
1./4 lb. Pastrami (Boars Head)
Smoked Salmon
Antipasto Salad from restaurant (included 2 slices mortadella, sopressata, prosciutto, 2 slices provolone, 2 slices fresh mozzarella, 4 olives, 2 slices tomato)

Today:
Turkey Pepperoni (package said 0 carbs per serving)
Asiago Crisps (package said 0 carbs per serving)
Sugar Free Vintage Flavored Seltzer (0 carbs)
Grilled Chicken salad (iceberg, tomato, cucumber, 10 green olives, olive oil, red wine vinegar)
3 Italian sausages in tomato sauce (from a takeout place)
Diet Pepsi

I've been drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Am I doing this right for the induction phase, or should I be mindful of serving sizes and calories. Today, I counted 650 calories and 0 carbs from the pepperoni and Asiago crisps. Am I doing something wrong, should I modify, or am I doing good?
  #198   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 20:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Your food looks good but it seems like I've read that many men eat about 2-3 times that amount of calories.
  #199   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 22:58

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi J....welcome to the forum. Your food list is a good start, although the tomato sauce from the take out place likely had sugar in it. Eating out isn't easy, especially in the beginning. I'd be suspicious of the asiago crisps. Have you registered at Fitday? It's free and a great website to record the food you eat. It's true that calories aren't a big factor with Atkins, however if you record at Fitday, you'll very likely learn that your calories are too low. You need to eat more fat. A good bit of advice I was given years ago was "Shop the perimeter of the store." That's where all the 'real' food is.

Here in the forum, check out "Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List". It's the first sticky on the Atkins thread, which is under Daily Low-Carb Support.

There's so much support and information here that my best advice to you is "Explore" Good Luck and eat well !
  #200   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 03:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, you have the hang of it though note that cheese is limited to 3-4 oz. As you have already realized, cheese is calorie dense (not that you need to count calories) but that is why in Atkins there are limits on dairy and cheeses (in addition they are way too easy to overeat because they are so tasty). Including those Asiago chips...the Whisps from Costco read <1g, so yours are likely just that allowed labeling variation when by package/serving size used, 0g is allowed on the label.
The version of Atkins I use the 3 cups of vegetables are not only allowed limits but Required, as is 2 cups of a salty bouillon. Your digestive system will thank you to go lighter on the cheese and add some more vegetables and salt.
  #201   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 14:46

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 420/420/200 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I didn't detect sugar in the marinara sauce (I don't order from chain places. I live in Brooklyn, and order from real Italian-owned restaurants. Sicilians don't put sugar in the "gravy"). But I certainly didn't go over 20 net carbs yesterday.

Today, I think I'm pretty much safe.

I had a salad with tomato, lettuce, green pepper, and a few black olives with Caesar dressing, and 2 bacon cheeseburgers on a bed of lettuce with tomato from another takeout place for my late lunch/early dinner.

I'm on the go all the time so being able to shop and carry around food is something not really feasible for me, but I want to do it.

I was tempted to buy peanuts to eat before I got on the train, but I figured it's not worth breaking the rules of induction for a salty 6 net carb snack. I'm trying to not eat anything in between meals, to break compulsive eating patterns. I'm super satisfied now, and maybe for dinner, I'll have some protein.

For tomorrow's dinner, I thought of cooking some broccoli with garlic and olive oil, chicken breast cut up, and some Italian sausage (no nitrates or sugar) and red pepper flakes, topped with some romano cheese.
  #202   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 06:48

Stats: 240/240/180 Female 5 ft 7 in.
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for this info. I printed it out for my binder.
  #203   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Good read. Thanks.
  #204   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 11:10

Plan: Atkins/SB hybrid
Stats: 185/185/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Okay learned folks, let's see if I'm doing this right.

Today thus far:
B: 2 egg nests with a sprinkling of cheddar
Coffee with a splash of HWC & SF Coffeemate Italian Sweet cream

L: 2 oopsie rolls with tuna mixed with mayo and a couple of leaves of mixed greens
1/3 cup of canned asparagus

Water throughout the morning.

D (planned) Hamburger patty w/ mixed greens, mayo, mustard on oopsie roll
Mashed cauliflower

Yea or nay?
  #205   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 04:45

Eccentress...that menu sounds perfect to me! I'm not a fan of the coffeemate due to the corn syrup and soybean oil in it...but those coffee creamer flavorings are allowed on Atkins. If that or one diet soda a day is what keeps you Low Carb with a good meal plan like above, then go for it.
  #206   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 05:51

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Eccentress...that menu sounds perfect to me! I'm not a fan of the coffeemate due to the corn syrup and soybean oil in it...but those coffee creamer flavorings are allowed on Atkins. If that or one diet soda a day is what keeps you Low Carb with a good meal plan like above, then go for it.

Thanks! Yeah the coffee-mate is a guilty pleasure. SF wouldn't have corn syrup in it though, would it? I could read the label myself I guess

I feel really good with the exception of the morning headache and the carb cravings in the evening. The headaches aren't exclusive to the change in my WOE though, because I've often had them. A couple of Advil usually sort that out fast. As far as the carb cravings, well...sugar-free jello (I bought a big flat of those pre-made) with some homemade whipped cream sweetened with Stevia and a splash of vanilla have been my go-to. It's sort of a band-aid on an amputation, but it helps a tiny bit. Nothing like withdrawal...ugh....
  #207   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 06:44

The diet itself is dehydrating and everyone becomes dehydrated a bit more during sleep. I drink a half liter of water before drinking coffee in the morning. With all this water coming and going, also be sure you are getting enough salt..both may help with the am headache.

Get Your Salt: http://mail.forum.lowcarber.org/sho...75&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-19-17 at 07:15.
  #208   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 07:34

BF:
Progress:

I'm pretty sure sinus issues combined with dehydration (I've always had an issue keeping my H2O intake where it should be) are the cause. I think I consume quite a lot of salt, but maybe not? after reading that thread, I'm thinking it's something I should look at. But I only have 1 kidney so have always been a bit cautious about sodium.
  #209   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 16:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I live in the desert and have been struggling with my allergies, much worse for the past entire year. I drink lots of water, but I have dry eyes, dry skin, dry everything.

One thing none of the doctors or anybody else mentions is using humidifiers.

I had an "aha" moment, got mine out of the garage and started using it in the bedroom at night. Everything got better, so I got another one for the ground floor of the house. I've been able to cut out my allergy meds completely, using Nasacort spritz every morning before my walk among the pollen shedders. Some days I don't even use that, as I don't like relying on medications.

Just an idea which might also help others.
  #210   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 06:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/198/154 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress:

hello again! maybe its a silly question but I wonder if salami and sausages are admitted? thank you very much for your patience and forgive my English I'm Italian