Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/192/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default probiologic/capricin has anyone tried this?

I'm having a terrible time with yeast. My stomach is almost always bloated. And while doing Atkins I really didn't lose any weight. I wonder if the yeast problem was the cause.
My doctor proscribed nystatin, and I got capricin and a high potency acidophilus and bifido bacteria supplement from the health food store.
Has anyone else tried this approach?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Cathie:
I hear ya.
Ask your doctor to switch you from Nystatin (shown to depress your immune system in some studies) to Diflucan and make sure he or she DOES NOT give you a script for the 150 mg pill. Make sure it is the 100 or 200 mg pill (your insurance will only pay for ONE, I wrote ONE 150 mg pill because that is the dosage for Diflucan for Vaginal yeast infection).
I get bloat after I consume sugar alcohols.
My weight loss is very slow too and YUP, that would be the reason for little or no weight loss.
Read Atkin's chapter on Candida.

Take as many of those acidophilus pills as you need. There is no limit. The idea is to get those guys to start crowding out the yeast and sending them on their way.

Diflucan gives you very little die-off reaction while being very powerful on the overgrowth of fungus.

Stick with Atkins because you'll need it with a fungal infection but be wary of anything sweet that is not stevia or splenda (there are some that say even splenda will give you a problem but I haven't experienced any of it - my gut grumbles and bloats with things that bother it).

Go easy on mushrooms, vinegar containing foods, alcohol and even dairy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 23:16

BF:

I forgot to mention that I take acidophilus pills everyday - even when I feel great to keep the yeast in check. I've had a chronic infection for over 8 years now and it is a fight of me against them all the time. Some people get over it and some don't (I'm that second yucky categorie).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/192/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the input Jeanne,
I would never have thought that yeast could cause such a terrible problem.
The acidophilus and capricin seem to being doing great. I'm not nearly as swollen and the scale is already moving down a wee bit.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 17:27

BF:

That's great Cathie

Perhaps that is all you need for your infection.
Congrats on the weight loss!

I'll see you in skinnyville
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:07

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Jeanne...once you have been taking the acidophilis for some time and feeling good, did you notice a speed up in your weight loss?

I have been doing Atkins Induction strictly (by the book, no frankenfoods) for 7 weeks and have lost just 5 pounds. Out of the blue last week I got attacked by the yeasty beasty for the first time since my last pregnancy (no I'm not preggo...phew)

I have cut mushrooms out...my only possible remaining culprit and began taking acidophilus daily.

I'm now wondering what sort of difference I should expect. Will I see a take off in weight loss?

Oh...I'm taking one tablet daily 1 million CFU. Is that enough or should I change that dose?

(edit: sorry make that one billion CFU daily. That's the dose in one tab)

Last edited by toning_up : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 07:10.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 23:07

BF:

Hi Toning_UP:
Sorry to get back to you so late on your question. My doc prescribed 30 days of Diflucan 200 mg for me and after I finished that round I REALLY started to drop the weight. Unfortunately, I was undergoing Fertility treatments and had to get off the diet (I really went off the deep end and ate donuts - I don't even like donuts) for about 2 months. I'm back on but made the fatal mistake recently of eating some Carbolite CHEWY FRUIT candies (AVOID AVOID AVOID) and even after eating 2 tiny candies my gut went ballistic!
I am maintaining my weight (which is a heck of a plus at any stage in my life) but I'm not losing. I'm waiting for the right time to start up on my Diflucan again (I become a raging, nasty, evil, devil spawn). It effects me psychology - the die-off reaction that is. Diflucan is known for giving very little die-off but what die-off I have comes through in my mood - I'm just not nice when I'm medicated

Short answer: yes, after getting fungus under control weight loss is a breeze.

P.S. you may be having a food allergy issue. If you have insurance (I say this because for many years I did not and a recent report said 30% of Americans do not - not surprising with the costs) get bloodwork done for food allergies. I am allergic to some strange stuff - watermelon, almonds, green beans, soy (ok, that's not so strange) and dairy.

Good luck and hope I was able to help.

Jeannie