Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 10:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd be okay with corn-fed hogs, because the absolute percentage of calories from omega 6 would be pretty low, much of the fat on the hogs is going to be synthesized from carbohydrate, so saturated and monounsaturated will predominate. I'd rather the animals weren't given various plant oils, that's what can really jack up omega 6 content in pork fat.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 11:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I wonder if the " lard" is from commercially fed hogs ( grain fed) or more traditional feeding like pasture and vegies and etc??
Only know of two commercial farms ( farms that produce for other tables beyond their own use) that pasture raise their hogs. Bet there are others.

In the US, thousands if willing to order on-line.
http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
I like Fickle Creek on the NC list above, and Coon Rock. Have done a Farm Tour at Coon Rock http://coonrockfarm.com and was totally terrified by the giant size and meanness of the boar...he needed to become lard but is worth $$. A quart of pastured lard is $10 here, but only about $6 from a standard pork producer. Also $25 for a 25 pound bucket of lard in the regular market
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 13:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Yes, boars are risky business. The fellow at Maple Farm selects for temperament. I select for temperament in my roosters. Nothing worse than my kids carrying around a stick and watching each others back that a sneaky rooster. I finally said, after 2 years, I understand he is a pet but enough is enough. Dinner. Took kids about 2 weeks to not pick up their cudgel on their way out the door.....That rooster had a number of sons by then and I kept the nice ones.

Lard is hard to get here at the butcher, so glad to have some options!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 12:28

BF:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetable-oils

back to reading this lengthy article.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 16:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Mean roosters and mean geese. I still have memories of my Grandmother and I at 2-3 years old, walking by a lake and the geese came and attacked us. She had to hit them with her cane to make them back off. Thank goodness she had a cane!!!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 18:27

BF:

Lol. No geese here. Though my teens could handle a goose now that they are not 7-8 years old. Geese are very territorial and with youngsters around Im sure far more aggressive. My roosters protect the girls, so i have many roosters these days. Not a bad boy among them. I do use care when picking up a hen as rooster may feel he has a right to orotect her. He will get a pass for protection.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 18:31

BF:

Made snickerdoodles last night to test new recipe for sons Christmas party tomorrow.... used soybean oil.... after taste was yuckky. Even checked use by date, and that was good.

Just 2 tablespoons of veg oil left in the house.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 18:35

BF:

What would have they used in the old day to make it? Tallow or lard?
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 20:21

BF:

Most recipes i found used butter. The recipe we used in my family as kids used veg oil. Easy for kids to make as only a bowl and wooden spoon to mix.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Dec-20-18 at 12:58.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 09:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Among the poultry and fowl we raised as kids, yes, my parents were very understanding, we had a rooster named Road Apple. When my sister, at the time around 4 years, was playing in the yard one day, Road Apple decided it was time to exert his dominance on her. That became the last act in his life. Roosters are well known for aggressive behavior and the alpha rooster will certainly rule the roost.

The DD article on vegetable oils by Calihan and Scher is a very thorough treatment. It cautiously identifies pros and cons of fats and describes how vegetable oils clearly fall into the category of processed "foods." Providing the overall makeup of all fats, it enables one to pick their poison, so to speak. Good information.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 13:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I'd be okay with corn-fed hogs, because the absolute percentage of calories from omega 6 would be pretty low, much of the fat on the hogs is going to be synthesized from carbohydrate, so saturated and monounsaturated will predominate. I'd rather the animals weren't given various plant oils, that's what can really jack up omega 6 content in pork fat.

Hogs are normally fed a hard fat, saturated fat, type diet. As I remember in feeds class, they type of oil/ fat in the feed determined the softness of the pork fat. But now that you mention the contribution of carbohydrates to make the fats too, Im left looking at the effect of both the carbohydrates and the fats. The animal nutrition professor made a point about hogs and their inability to alter the fats they digest and caution about overly soft adipose tissue due to feeding liquid at room temperature oil/fats in the diet. Perhaps information has changed since I learned all this MANY years ago.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-18, 17:25

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#43   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-18, 00:29

BF:

Do you know how many bread and pie receipts include a liquid processed oil of some type? I will say that the corn bread dressing I made for my family on Christmas, I used bacon drippings but the ingredients on the pkg recipe listed corn oil.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 01:31

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

2-3 teaspoon olive oil with lots of water morning can be your breakfast and make you feel full long times if you want lose weight also. not only healthy
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Do you know how many bread and pie receipts include a liquid processed oil of some type? I will say that the corn bread dressing I made for my family on Christmas, I used bacon drippings but the ingredients on the pkg recipe listed corn oil.

Im finding all the packaged foods are just deadly.... trying to eliminate packaged foods as best I can. BUT DANG Im about back to growing and packing my own food to avoid the endless crap affecting our food supply!

Even started saving glass jars for reuse and use only the plastic ones for dried goods like beans.

Im saving all the fat from all meat sources to replace the usual oils. Pulled the extra fat from the turkey cavity and stuffed it under the skin over the breasts. THen scooped off most of the fat and into the freezer.Rendered the beef fat and made LC empinadas-- boys love these. Oops this batch was not low carb-- added cooked rice to use up the left overs. But can be LC.

Im trying to think about what our fore-mothers used for recipes BEFORE the convenience of liquid grain oils. .... me thinks there was FAR less pastries and sweets!