Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 21:52

Plan: south
Stats: -/-/- Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default what about a bowflex?

hi everyone,
i posted this question on some other forums in here but i am super curious about the bowflex to supplement my workout, i think i can get a very specific workout and hopefully create a habit out of using it. i dont awnt to get a treadmill, my friend offered me his, but i dont want it, i can run outside and can always use fresh air!~!but i am thinking about getting this one called the Bowflex Revolution. I have been on south beach and have lost almost 4 pounds but need to exercise also. anyone here have a bowflex??? thank you so much for your advice!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 21:54

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi there,
I have the bowflex extreme and love it. Wish I used it more though And trust me you get a work out!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 16:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Bawdy loves her Bowflex!

It's easy to move from one weight to the next, and from one exercise to the next. AND, you get a GREAT workout.

I got mine second-hand off eBay. The company is so great, they've even honored the life-time warranty and guarantee. There have been a couple recalls lately, but even though I wasn't the original purchaser, they sent me the fix kits for free. The company really stands behind its products.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 15:30

Plan: SB
Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

I have a bowflex and I too love it. DH and I try to work out but lately, we have been rather lazy. We bought ours from the Bargain Finder for $500 but it is really a $1,000 machine.

QUESTION - DOES ANYONE WANT TO START A WEEKLY EXERCISE THREAD WHERE WE SHARE OUR WEIGHT LOSS AND IN PARTICULAR HOW WE ARE ALL DOING ON OUR BOWFLEX - IT MIGHT GIVE ME MORE INCENTIVE IF I HAVE TO REPORT IN~~ YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE?

Feel free to e-mail me!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 33%

Been using ours since March and yep the results are showing. I like it and would help anyone get the most out of theres
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 21:48

Plan: Nothing Specific Now
Stats: 194.5/191/165 Female 5ft 6in
BF:33.8%/31.1%/25%
Progress: 12%

I have the bowflex select tech dumbells and LOVE them! 5lbs to 52.5lbs and they increase in 2.5lb increments. They take up so little space too. They are just perfect for me
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 07:38

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 191/136/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

Just got one for my Birthday, havent got to use it totally yet (just put it together) but from experimenting with it, I know this is exactly what I needed! Great machine!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 11:13

Plan: Cyclical Keto
Stats: 167/162.5/150 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

being in the business i would suggest just about any other home gym but the bowflex.

1. there was/is a class action suit because people are getting hurt on it. (the part that holds the seat up is plastic)

2. the resistance isn't constant. as the bow bends it generates more resistance. ie. on a chest press with a 10lb bow. it will actually start out at much less than 10lb and then work its way up. they tend to spring back (after all, it is a bow) and this can also cause an injury.

i could go on and on, but i dont want to type forever.

i would suggest (in the same price range) a Parabody (Life Fitness) CM3, or a Hoist V2 gym. both are made by companies with known names in health clubs, and with the same quality steel and cables. they are both cable motion gyms, so you get the same iso lateral work out.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-05, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Combination
Stats: 235/160/150 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Bowflex Powerpro Owner

I would recommend the Bowflex as an excellent piece of equipment. I am not sure what machine you are referring to, but I have an old Powerpro that is about 12 years old. I use it pretty regularly and can tell you they hold up well and give you a good work-out. The previous poster is correct about the fact that they can spring back. However, I don't feel this is any more dangerous than a weight stack, which you can get a body part caught in; or free weights which could be dropped. With any piece of equipment in which you get a good work-out there is some inherit danger. As long as you are careful and take the necessary precautions you should be fine.

Depending on your strength level, you may need to consider how much weight you need. My Bowflex has 410 pounds of resistance. At my size, that is more than enough for my upper body. For my legs, it really isn't enough for a challenging Leg Press. I do single leg presses (one leg at a time) and that is plenty enough challenge. The weight you need will depend on your size on strength. Adding additional power-rods is fairly easy, so don't worry it you start with a base machine and then have to add some weight.

The aerobic rowing feature on the machine isn't that great. However, overall I find the Bowflex to be a great machine. It holds up well and gives you a good work-out. You can also do over 60 exercises on the machine.

The variety of exercises may confuse first-time users. There may be too many options. For overall conditioning I would make sure to include a Bench Press, Row, and Leg Press. Those three exercises work most major muscles in your body. From there add exercises that will help round out the body parts your want to work on most.

Brett