Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 04:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Angry Experts Condemn Keto. Will People Finally Stop?

Experts Condemn Keto. Will People Finally Stop?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...perts-rank-best

Quote:
U.S. News and World Report ranked the keto diet near-last for the third year in a row, and other outlets have begun to question it, too. Will we finally get over keto this year?

For the third consecutive year, the annual U.S. News and World Report ranked the exceeding popular keto diet as one of the worst possible diets to follow. The ranking is culled from medical journals and government data, plus input from a panel of health and nutrition experts; since at least 2018, this review process has placed keto at or just above the very bottom of the list. Yet people continue to follow this diet, shoveling heaps of protein and fats into their mouths and eating so little carbs it makes them physically ill.

The core notion within keto (short for ketogenic) is that it forces the body into “ketosis,” where it preferentially burns fat because there is no carbohydrate-derived fuel to use. (Never mind that your body can absolutely burn fat without being in this state of forced stress.) To achieve ketosis, the keto diet advises getting most of your calories from fat, eating moderate amounts of protein, and eating fewer carbs per day than are in an apple. Studies have shown that sort of diet to be helpful for children with epilepsy and people with diabetes, but in an otherwise healthy person, it’s routinely discouraged.

As the old adage goes, third time’s the charm!!!!! Even though doctors and scientists have been hollering about this for years, it seems the idea that keto is Bad may finally be working its way into the grander ether. A recent CNN report (published on “National Keto Day,” a thing made up by Vitamin Shoppe) poses the obvious question: how has a diet so despised by health experts remained so popular? “Experts say it's because its legions of fans are focusing on the short-term benefits of fast weight loss, without factoring in possible long-term risks,” CNN reports. And in a recent keto explainer in the New York Times, Whitney Linsenmeyer, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, chalked the diet’s popularity up to America being in “a state of carbophobia;” additional experts warned against the long-term effects (like increased risk of cardiovascular disease) keto might have on the body.

Keto can seem like a fun, flirty diet compared to other, even more rigorous options: you can eat cheese, steaks, even hamburger patties. That’s fun! But eating fewer than 20 grams of carbs per day, as the diet advises, is unhealthy and unsustainable, as David Katz, founding director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, told CNN. (The average recommended range, for comparison, is between 225–325 grams of carbs per day.) Eating so few carbs even sends many new keto-ers into something called the “keto flu,” a sure sign your body is extremely pissed off at what you’re doing to it.

VICE has routinely (rightfully) admonished keto for some time, and now it finally seems, with this third slap on the wrist, many others are catching on. Thank god, and god speed.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 05:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I don’t take heath advice from Vice Media, so don’t care that they have admonished keto forever. Not David Katz nor Stephen Guyenet either.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 11:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When I read crap like this, I question the rest of the material they publish.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 13:37

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
When I read crap like this, I question the rest of the material they publish.

Yup.

ETA: Check out the author's twitter feed. She's getting reamed! https://twitter.com/hannahsmothers_...271501253402630

ETA2: I'm going on 5 years of "unsustainable" low carb eating.

Last edited by tess9132 : Tue, Jan-07-20 at 13:52.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 14:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Yup.

ETA: Check out the author's twitter feed. She's getting reamed! https://twitter.com/hannahsmothers_...271501253402630

ETA2: I'm going on 5 years of "unsustainable" low carb eating.

This was a good one!

Quote:
sashaluvstrump
‏ ~LisaPar656
7h7 hours ago
Replying to ~hannahsmothers_

You should read ~KenDBerryMD book Hannah before you write articles as foolish as this one.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 15:37

BF:

I picked this out from one of the pro-keto tweets on the author's feed. I need to look up this doctor because what he has to say in this free podcast is very interesting!

Episode 134 – Dr. Nadir Ali is a keto cardiologist

By Brian Williamson

Podcast: Play in new window | Download
https://www.ketovangelist.com/episo...o-cardiologist/

Dr. Nadir Ali lives and works in Houston, TX. And he’s not afraid to admit that he and his fellow heart surgeons were wrong about a lot of things. Mostly about the impact that a ketogenic diet has on a person’s heart health. Dr. Ali is an avid cyclist and he works with athletes regularly. He’s also made it his mission to educate his patient, his peers, and the general population about the benefits of lchf/keto and how it is healthy and appropriate for humans to thrive.

Dr. Ali is very smart, very thoughtful, and very easy to talk to. I know you’re going to love listening to him.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 18:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I picked this out from one of the pro-keto tweets on the author's feed. I need to look up this doctor because what he has to say in this free podcast is very interesting!

Episode 134 – Dr. Nadir Ali is a keto cardiologist

By Brian Williamson

Podcast: Play in new window | Download
https://www.ketovangelist.com/episo...o-cardiologist/

Dr. Nadir Ali lives and works in Houston, TX. And he’s not afraid to admit that he and his fellow heart surgeons were wrong about a lot of things. Mostly about the impact that a ketogenic diet has on a person’s heart health. Dr. Ali is an avid cyclist and he works with athletes regularly. He’s also made it his mission to educate his patient, his peers, and the general population about the benefits of lchf/keto and how it is healthy and appropriate for humans to thrive.

Dr. Ali is very smart, very thoughtful, and very easy to talk to. I know you’re going to love listening to him.

I just listened to the end and if you've ever wanted to hear a thorough explanation of cholesterol (from the low-carb perspective), this is it.
He is apposed to statins. Says that most cardiologists have no understanding of cholesterol and how it works in the body. Talks about CoQ-10 and it's importance. If you want to Fast forward to 16 minute time you can skip a lot of the intro and get to the meat of his interview.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 20:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

It’s undoubtedly true that a lot of people are hopping on the Keto Train for a fast weight loss ride. Then they hop off, until the next fast weight loss trick comes along.

These are not the people for whom the ketogenic way of eating can bring a lifetime of restored health and well being—people who are not about to stop doing what makes such a wonderful difference to them—and their doctors know it. They don’t have to read scary news reports to decide what’s good for them.

For starters, keto isn’t a “diet.” We abandoned that term a long time ago, and good riddance. If it isn’t a Lifetime WOE, it won’t work, whether it’s LC, ATkins, Keto, or (ack!) Weight Watchers.

On we go!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 21:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

The headline says "Experts Condemn Keto" but the question people need to ask themselves is "experts in what?". Who declared them experts and why? Clearly the answer is not "experts in keto" for if they were they would not be speaking this drivel. So perhaps these are experts in self promotion and keto bashing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 13:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
The headline says "Experts Condemn Keto" but the question people need to ask themselves is "experts in what?". Who declared them experts and why? Clearly the answer is not "experts in keto" for if they were they would not be speaking this drivel. So perhaps these are experts in self promotion and keto bashing.

Well stated. My sentiments as well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 14:15
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Just to add my opinion:
46 years into ketogenic eating (first it was called Atkins), I'd stand my good health against any other women in my age group. Who listens to "agencies" of any kind any more? We've been lied to for at least the past 50 years about just about everything.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 15:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Just to add my opinion:
46 years into ketogenic eating (first it was called Atkins), I'd stand my good health against any other women in my age group. Who listens to "agencies" of any kind any more? We've been lied to for at least the past 50 years about just about everything.

People may not be listening to agencies but many people still listen to their doctors as if doctors know something about nutrition and health. One of the best decisions I made, quite a few years back, is to not assume that everything my doctor thinks is necessarily true. If I had not done my own research and taken charge of my own health I would no doubt be either still quite sick and on many prescription drugs or perhaps even dead. I feel quite fortunate to have enough independence of mind to go my own way. I carefully select my "experts" and then try out their advice in my own n=1 experiment. All things considered, it's turned out quite well.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 15:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The average recommended range, for comparison, is between 225–325 grams of carbs per day.

Hey! That was where I was eating when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now.

It must have been the WRONG carbs...

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Jan-08-20 at 16:20.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 15:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Hey! That was where I was eating when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now.

It must have been the WRONG carbs...

Yeah, just not enough fiber hulls and livestock feed carbs
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 18:35

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I think that the only carbs that would not negatively affect my health would be sawdust. I'm not sure how my intestines would handle it though.