Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-23, 03:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default "Food Can Be Literally Addictive" from Scientific American

Tell us something we didn't know, but of course we need the science.

Subhead: Highly processed foods resemble drugs of misuse in a number of disturbing ways

And they are completely right about that.

Quote:
Daily snacking on processed foods, recent studies show, rewires the brain’s reward circuits. Cravings for tasty meals light up the brain just like cravings for cocaine do, prompting some researchers to ask whether products such as fries or cookies can trigger addiction akin to that associated with drugs or alcohol.

Food Can Be Literally Addictive, New Evidence Suggests

All signs point to YES.

The article has arguments against, but I don't think much of any of them.

Quote:
For instance, some claim there has to be Processed foods might provoke compulsive behaviors that reinforce the need to consume more, but do they really have mood-altering effects, another criterion used to define an addiction?

As a former BED sufferer, I can say that I binged because of the mood-altering effects of sugar and processed foods. As Dr. Atkins himself says, no one binges with steak.

Quote:
In 2009 the Yale Food Addiction Scale emerged. It is used to assess whether a person displays behavioral patterns that would merit fries, shakes and other palatable foods being classified as addictive substances.

Using this measurement technique, a 2022 meta-analysis suggested that 20 percent of adults are addicted to food. People in this group go out of their way to obtain their favorite foods and often eat to the point of feeling physically ill. They experience withdrawal, fail to quit eating certain foods and continue their consumption pattern despite adverse consequences, such as disruptions to their daily routines and social activities.

We all KNOW. But designing such scientific guidelines is part of the process. We should acknowledge that people get addicted to behaviors, no? Gamblers Anonymous is a thing. Hoarding can manifest as a shopping problem. Cats and dogs overgroom from stress.

But watch and see the Tobacco Excuses rolled up for this major danger, too.

Quote:
Critics of the idea that certain foods may be addictive point out that treats such as burgers don’t induce the same kind of “high” that one might experience with opioids or alcohol. “This is totally missing in all the food addiction stories,” Hebebrand says. For her part, Gearhardt is not convinced. “By that principle, cigarettes are not addictive, right? You can drive your car while you smoke cigarettes. You can watch your children while you smoke cigarettes,” she says. She points to studies indicating that chocolate does have a psychoactive effect and can induce feelings of euphoria at least as much as intravenous nicotine given to smokers can.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-23, 12:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Tell us something we didn't know, but of course we need the science.

Subhead: Highly processed foods resemble drugs of misuse in a number of disturbing ways

And they are completely right about that.

All signs point to YES.

The article has arguments against, but I don't think much of any of them.

As a former BED sufferer, I can say that I binged because of the mood-altering effects of sugar and processed foods. As Dr. Atkins himself says, no one binges with steak.

We all KNOW. But designing such scientific guidelines is part of the process. We should acknowledge that people get addicted to behaviors, no? Gamblers Anonymous is a thing. Hoarding can manifest as a shopping problem. Cats and dogs overgroom from stress.

But watch and see the Tobacco Excuses rolled up for this major danger, too.

It's time to confirm food addiction. The comments against cite the lack of a "high" when foods are consumed, but I can tell from first-hand experience that the "high" was subtle enough to make me continue eating desserts (plural) after a large thanksgiving dinner and seemingly never get full on the sweet stuff. That's not right and is damaging to organs and metabolic function, and realizing that started me down the road to health through lifestyle changes. Eating certain things triggered an unrelenting appetite in me where there was always room for more. This is classic compulsive behavior triggered by the desire for taste, mouthfeel, and need for sugar at the times when the BG roller coaster descends. If that's not addictive behavior, then there's no such thing as addiction.

It's exactly why today after many years of successfully correcting my addiction, I never eat anything that is a combination of sweet from sugar or HFCS combined with fat and carbs. While I may very rarely and infrequently consume savory carbs in certain scenarios, I never, ever cave to the very foods that heightened my addictive behaviors long ago. It's a simple, non-negotiable trait that I follow 100% of the time, and it's made all the difference.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-23, 15:15

BF:

Quote:
One of the best and most tightly controlled studies to investigate how ultra-processed food affects caloric consumption was conducted by Dr. Kevin Hall and colleagues. and published in Cell Metabolism in 2019. The study reports intake increased by more than 500 calories each day for those eating as much as they wanted from meals composed of ultra-processed foods when compared to another group eating as much as they wanted of meals made from whole foods. Importantly, the meals were designed to be matched for presented calories, energy density, macronutrients, sugar, sodium, and fiber; only the degree of processing was varied.

Hedonic hunger: What does the science say?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/hedonic-hunger

Seems to be connected to the way ultra processed food messes with a person's brain. Creates larger areas of appetite to crave more of this processed food.

I had a very stressful adolescence and I know I turned to cheap treats to make myself feel better. Getting away from the stress was fundamental to my recovery..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 08:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This is something a lot of us already knew. I can't take just a bite of something and push it away.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 10:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Im addicted to butter and sugar, and cookie dough. Oh and fresh bread with butter.

Hits a spot that makes me feel good.

Oddly my taste buds have become particular about sweets. Purchased cookies taste BAD. Like spit it out BAD.

Homemade , starting with real butter, real sugar.......a deadly combination.

Can't stay away from the stuff. Better to not go there. One leads to another.

Ya, Im empathetic to drug abusers, I get it. No judgement. Only solution is to avoid and not indulge AT ALL. One,just one, is a disaster in the making.

Doritos. Its one full bag. To the last bite. Finger licking good. Better not to buy. Ever.

Molasses bars are my current struggle. Only Market Basket has them. So I can limit exposure to temptation, cause I often cave.

What to avoid? Anything packaged at the grocery
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-23, 08:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im addicted to butter and sugar, and cookie dough. Oh and fresh bread with butter.

Hits a spot that makes me feel good.

Oddly my taste buds have become particular about sweets. Purchased cookies taste BAD. Like spit it out BAD.

Homemade , starting with real butter, real sugar.......a deadly combination.

Can't stay away from the stuff. Better to not go there. One leads to another.

Ya, Im empathetic to drug abusers, I get it. No judgement. Only solution is to avoid and not indulge AT ALL. One,just one, is a disaster in the making.

Doritos. Its one full bag. To the last bite. Finger licking good. Better not to buy. Ever.

Molasses bars are my current struggle. Only Market Basket has them. So I can limit exposure to temptation, cause I often cave.

What to avoid? Anything packaged at the grocery

This is what I call the "single serving size". Doesn't matter if it's a tiny snack size container or huge Costco sized - it's still a single serving to the addicted.

I have no problem avoiding starchy and sugary foods - they all taste awful to me. Real sugar tastes sickening to me, and starch (particularly flour) tastes like paste, yuck.

Unfortunately, I have this problem with foods that are perfectly fine on LC in limited amounts (such as nuts), but my "limited amount" seems to be however big the package happens to be. I buy such things with the intention of using them them a recipe I want to make, or for times when I need a shelf-stable food to take on trips. But then the craving hits because I KNOW IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE CABINET, and... it'll be gone in no time.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-23, 12:05

Plan: 12/25/63 (c/p/f)
Stats: 218/207.8/155 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well, this is exactly why I came back here yesterday after months of binging. Carbs are 100% an addiction for me.

I need to be here and the support to continue after countless relapses.

I knew for weeks now that I wanted to stop sugary and overly processed food. Many nights I went to bed thinking "I'll start TOMORROW."

Very troubling was the time I ordered a red velvet cake on doordash and they called from the store to say they didn't have any. I felt rage. Pure rage. I remember thinking "wth is wrong with me?"
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 06:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain
I knew for weeks now that I wanted to stop sugary and overly processed food. Many nights I went to bed thinking "I'll start TOMORROW."

Very troubling was the time I ordered a red velvet cake on doordash and they called from the store to say they didn't have any. I felt rage. Pure rage. I remember thinking "wth is wrong with me?"

I urge anyone with UPF issues read the book, Ultra Processed People.

It will help you understand. It helped me with similar extreme feelings in my own past. Also, as DH figured out relatively recently, with his birthday chocolate pie tradition ending up in the garbage.

"I realized I was thinking back to when my grandmother would make it, with real milk and it had a skin on the pudding part, and a crust that had taste, and this THING just tasted like dirt, no matter what part I ate!"

He said it made him realize how UN-natural the food has gotten.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 06:16

BF:

Are cookies ultra processed? I think we could make a case that it has an effect. I indulged in some homemade level ingredients in a few items I don't have the energy to make myself. Either way, I can control it. While others, like the gf pretzels, trigger the same "bottom of the bag" impulses.

But when I made my own cookies, they were heavy with butter or cream cheese, and only lightly sweetened. That's a factor, too. Everyone has their own troublesome combinations.

But we have real food comparisons, and I wonder how often other people get that opportunity. We have one REAL bakery, which peels the apples and uses real butter and boy is that place busy

I think if we can tell the difference, our bodies can. So step one is to concentrate on real food, and getting rid of the worst offenders, first. I'm safer than I used to be because I love, and crave, steak and eggs and cream cheese omelettes and pork sandwiches in coconut wraps. I eat treats every day.