Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 12:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Middle-Aged Middle 6 Week Cure

So, I got my book and I'm skipping a lot of the low carb justification stuff since I'm already pretty familiar with it. I'm planning to start right after my next TOM because I know I'll be taking NSAIDS then as I get awful cramps. And that'll give me time to wean off caffeine (damn it all, I have to do that again?).

Who else is planning on doing this?

Oh BTW, don't use Pea protein powder. It is nasty. Someone suggested hemp but I've had hemp wraps and they were vile tasting. Right now I think I'm going to use raw or pasteurized eggs (home pasteurized).

Link to book

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-11-09 at 12:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 12:13
Experimenter

BF:

Oh yeah, does anyone have a good source for the Leucine and BCAA supplements? I'd probably prefer both in powder or liquid form as you have to take so much I think it'd be a lot of pills to swallow.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 13:07

Plan: Moderate carb
Stats: 296/144/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 101%

I have always admired Dr Eades for the amount of critical thinking he displays in his blog entries.

But I have been unable to find study references in their own bibliography for some of the things they assert in this book.

So, I think this will just be a good source of low-carb recipes for me, and a reminder to eat 'low-carb clean' when I start to backslide. As I get the time, I'll look up studies that address the points in the book I'm most curious about.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 14:40

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i'll be curious to see if there is much difference betw their other lc plans.
if it's pea protein, i am not interested.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 16:32
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
i'll be curious to see if there is much difference betw their other lc plans.
if it's pea protein, i am not interested.

Pea protein was just something I tried because I don't want to use whey. It's horrid. Don't buy it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 18:17
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Who else is planning on doing this?

My copy should arrive sometime next week. I'm trying to be fairly paleo, and I've heard there are shakes involved, so I'll be looking at them with an eye to keeping them clean, so to speak. Is that what the protein powder is for, Nancy?

And ditching caffeine...oh, what the hell. I'm ready to try that for the 14,327th time.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 18:25

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Oh yeah, does anyone have a good source for the Leucine and BCAA supplements? I'd probably prefer both in powder or liquid form as you have to take so much I think it'd be a lot of pills to swallow.

Yeah. I'm going to give the plan a try! I figure what do I have to lose, except maybe some weight? And that has not been happening anyway. In fact I actually started today!

Like you I skipped a whole bunch of the early part of the book - all mainly stuff I'd read before in lots of other places. But I may end up going back and re-reading some of it.

I don't know if it's a "good" source necessarily but I got BCAA powder from Vitamin Shoppe at:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/....jsp?id=VS-2042
because they are having a sale currently where if you buy one item (selected items) you can get a second one for 50% off). I ordered it yesterday and selected the free shipping, and got a notice it would take 7-10 business days to arrive!

Well I wanted to get started, and there is an actual brick-and-mortar Vitamin Shoppe not far from where I live, so went out there to buy some to tide me over until my order arrived, and I got home and found the delivery from Vitamin Shoppe right on my front doorstep!

I guess the "7-10 days" is a canned message they send everyone. But their shipping warehouse is less than 10 miles from my house so I guess that's why I got it so quickly.

I only bought the powder but the do have capsules also. Hmm, think it's time to go downstairs and get my third shake.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 18:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilnxtthur
But I have been unable to find study references in their own bibliography for some of the things they assert in this book.

I've only skimmed a lot of the book so am curious as to which things in particular you refer. Dr. Eades himself has said about this book:
Quote:
"When you write a book for the layman – as we did this one – the publisher makes the call as to whether citations will be included and, if so, how."

So perhaps the studies are cited elsewhere. I admit I have not looked, but just making an observation. You could probably ask about it at his blog.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 19:09
Experimenter

BF:

Or consult their website 6weekcure.com
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 19:14
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I found some at iherb.com for cheaper than vitamin shoppe, but not with the 50% of deal. What else do we need? Protein powder, got it. Silymarin, got it on order. Am I forgetting anything?

It's going to take me awhile to wean myself off caffeine... again.

Oh! DAG oil... whatever that is.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-11-09 at 19:23.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 19:37

Plan: PaNu---Dr. Kurt G. Harris
Stats: 160/160/125 Female 64
BF:31%/30%/20%
Progress: 0%

I just got my book yesterday from amazon, i think i will start the plan tomorrow, it seems like a great way to get back on the low carb wagon especially since i've been back sliding a lot lately My mom moved in with us and keeps tempting me with her delicious, but oh-so-carby southern cooking, so hard to resist when i can smell it cooking and see everyone else chowing down!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 06:16

BF:

Quote:
It's going to take me awhile to wean myself off caffeine... again. Oh! DAG oil... whatever that is.

Well I actually gave up caffeine about 6 weeks ago, so I'm ahead of the game there. The milk thistle is something I've been taking regularly ever since I had my gall bladder problems in 2007, so I'm already on board there. I admit I have not gotten my head totally around the DAG oil yet. They talk about Enova oil (which I admit always gives me a double take as I keep feeling like they mean the food I give my dogs, which is Evo Innova).

But when I read about it at http://www.enovaoil.com/ it trumpets that it is lower in saturated fat than canola oil and is cholesterol-free, and
Quote:
"Enova® brand oil is created from a blend of soy and canola oils...Enova® oil contains more polyunsaturated fatty acids and less saturated fatty acids than both olive and canola oils."

None of that especially endears it to me! I have not gotten my head around why the Eades recommend it so highly. As a diabetic I suppose I should like the sentence that reads:
Quote:
"decrease in HBA1c levels was actually noted in those diabetics consuming Enova® oil (compared to consumption of traditional vegetable oils) which would be indicative of improved glucose control."

Except that I don't really use vegetable oils anyway, and this sentence smacks of the "whole grains are healthier" mantra, but only when comparing them to highly processed grains - neither is desirable. So I'm skeptical of something that touts itself as healthier than something I would not touch anyway because of the unfavorable Omega6 content. It's like saying eating an oatmeal cookie might give me better glucose control than eating a Twinkie. But eating neither is better yet.

I could find nothing about Omega6 on the company site, but on another site I found this:
Quote:
"The ratio of Omega 6 fatty acids to the more beneficial Omega 3 fatty acids in Enova is 10:1. Ideally this ratio should be closer to 3:1, since excess consumption of Omega 6 has been linked to high blood pressure, inflammation and other chronic diseases."
The same site also adds, however:
Quote:
"Substituting Enova for conventional oils may help lower blood lipid levels, especially triglycerides. Although research is still continuing, initial studies have shown reductions in post-meal triglyceride levels of more than 30%; other studies showed some fat loss, too."

I guess I'm not 100% convinced as to why I should use it. Maybe I need to look at that section of the book again. The company site lists Stop and Shop as one of the supermarket chains that carry it, and that's my "local".

I suppose if I was one of the people chosen to pre-test the diet with my complementary copy of the book I would feel obligated to follow everything to a T, but since I bought and paid for my copy I'm under no such obligation so I'm still hesitant about the DAG oil.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 09:32
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe I'll just use coconut oil instead.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 10:02
Experimenter

BF:

Oh just remembered. I got some whey protein from iherb.com. It's Jarrow (I use a lot of their supplements) and has absolutely NOTHING added. This is great, then I can use cocoa and Da vinci syrups and make my own flavors. When I used flavored/sweetened (usually with stevia) whey proteins before they always came out too sweet when I added Da Vinci syrups.

Price was good too. 2 pounds for around $18

If you order from iherb.com then the code ~~~~~~ will get you a $5 discount.
Link here

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Sep-12-09 at 10:11.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 18:28

BF:

Quote:
Oh just remembered. I got some whey protein from iherb.com. It's Jarrow (I use a lot of their supplements) and has absolutely NOTHING added.

I have not seen Jarrow protein but I do like unflavored protein. I bought some Designer Whey Natural (which is unsweetened or flavored) from Vitamin Shoppe for a similar price ($17.64 for 2 pounds). It's true it can get overly sweet otherwise if you add DaVinci syrups to it.

So this is my second day on the program. I've been hungrier than I would have liked to be but Dr. Eades claims this should pass after a few days. We'll see. I suppose I need to get potassium too, which is something I have not been taking. The multi I've been taking only has 80mg.