Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 17:56

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Who wants to play coach? (For a runner)

I'm training for a ten mile run and I have the luxury of setting up a true training schedule instead of my haphazard runs of the past. My body has healed from last year's weight loss and I have more stamina. I know all the RW formulas for how much I should be running, but I'm curious what you would do? I can run 40 minutes over my lunch hour 5 days a week with a long run (60 minutes) thrown in on Fridays. I can arrange to run twice on some days and hope to add a long run Saturday morning. I run about a 12:00 pace so my 60 minute run is 5 miles and the other runs are around 3 miles.

Altogether I come up with a pretty paltry total mileage for the week compared to "real runners". Today I felt great at the end of my 40 minute run and really wanted more, so I feel like I'm ready to expand, but I would have to add a segment after work. The other option is to do shorter "tempo" runs or hill training.

How much would you be running for a ten-miler? What would be your schedule? I did the race last year and clocked 2:13 which I am hoping to improve on. I am motivated and would love to do 1:55 - 2:00 (11:30-12:00 pace - I'm slow!)

I am fifty-five pounds lighter now, but my "base" pace has not improved at all. That run took me such a long time because I had not trained for the second five miles and I spent a lot of time hunting down bathrooms.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 21:32

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

I do all of my training plans on Runnersworld.com. Their Smart Coach feature is really nice.

If you're mainly focused on just finishing comfortably, I think the schedule you have now is great, but you need to increase your long run slowly over your training until your longest run is about 2 hours or so. Depending on how long you have to train, move that long run up by 5 - 10 minutes per week until you're there. You might want to have that longest run 2 weeks before your race and cut back a little (25 - 50%) for the last 2 weeks to give your body a rest.

If you want to get faster, speed work, hills, tempo runs are all good ways to build speed. Again, runnersworld.com is great for a specific plan. You can do tempo runs or even intervals on your lunch run if you get a Garmin or its equivalent. You can track how far you've gone in your regular lunch run and speed up and slow down as needed.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 03:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 160/160/125 Female 1.65 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love playing running coach!

Don't worry about your speed too much at the moment, and enjoy your running. That you feel like going on at 40 minutes is great.

Intervals, or speed sessions will help your speed, but what you really need now is to build endurance. When limited for time during your lunch break, including as many hills as possible (don't be concerned about pace) would help.

It's most important that you bump up your 'long' run to as close to the race distance as possible. This must be done incrementally, and as close as possible to folllowing the '10%' rule. (Do not increase your total milage for the week or of a session by more than (around) 10%).

Running twice a day is not a good idea as it is likely to lead to injury and/or illness in all except the elite, highly trained athlete. Even then, it is a good idea to practice alternating 'hard' and 'easy' days - it would be workthwhile to follow suit: assume that your long run is 'hard', and ensure that it is bookended by sessions of much easier intensity. For your other hard day/s, try adding in the hill sessions, or some fartlek, speed play where you set yourself some goals such as racing yourself to the tree at the end of the street, or see how fast you can run for 4 street lamps.