Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 11:50

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus
Hi everyone,

Female, 49 years old, starting a very low carbs diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus
I don't count my carbs. I just try not to eat too many. I eat nuts only once a week and maybe 100 cal a serving (very little), no alcohol (never), sweet potatoes once a month (backed), rice 1/2 portion once a week (brown rice) and fruit only one serving a day (usually: apples, berries, pears and peaces)...

I also eat only chicken, fish and turkey, no red meat. Dairy products rarely (once a month some hard cheese). And no sugar or processed food. I would have some dates (no sugar added) sometimes or raisins (no sugar added) or black chocolate but only a little and only a few times a month.
I think you've gotten some good advice to check out vegetarian low carb options.

While there are some people who can lose weight on a paleo diet, such as the one suggested by Mark's Daily Apple, it isn't a "very low carb diet." It's at least 100g of carbs per day, possibly much more. If you are happy eating a paleo diet and getting the results you want, I think it's a great option. For most people though, this is more of a maintenance level. Many people can't lose weight with this level of carbs, and I think that may be what you're experiencing.

Very low carb (aka, "keto") is under 50g of carbs/day (most people are even lower at 20–30g).

The fruit you are eating is easily 20g–25g per day alone. And if you add one of the other items you mention on a daily basis (rice, sweet potatoes, dates, raisins, etc.) that's easily another 25g. Plus the veggies you're likely eating and incidentals (nuts, cheese) are easily another 20–30g, depending on what you're eating and how much.

This is a guess and you won't know what you're eating until you track every single thing you eat for several weeks. Once you are armed with this information, you can make changes to see how they affect you and you get the results you're looking for. I know people often think tracking is too much of a hassle, but if you're not getting results, you need to get serious rather than vague about what you're doing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 12:35

Plan: verylowcarb
Stats: 223/205/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8

Very low carb (aka, "keto") is under 50g of carbs/day (most people are even lower at 20–30g).

I know people often think tracking is too much of a hassle, but if you're not getting results, you need to get serious rather than vague about what you're doing.

Hi and thank you.

Indeed, I suspect that I eat more than 50g of carbs daily. You are probably right, I do have to track everything. Yes, it will probably be harder in the beginning but I presume that I'll get used to it. I'm not going to do it for the rest of my life anyway.

Thank you again.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 05:15

BF:

I'm doing good, I lost a few pounds quite fast these days and I'm very happy about it. I started to follow IF 16:8 every other day; to exercise almost daily; to eat more fat and to drink more water.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 09:43

BF:

Hi again,

I'll do my best to experiment with 2 days/week following a 2 meals/day and IF 18:6. I'll skip the breakfast and only have lunch and dinner 2 days/week.

I'm 202 lbs this morning, was 201 lbs two days ago but I worked out with weights like crazy these days. I always gain a little weight when I lift weights.

My diet is really good and I'm very active so...doing very well. Hopefully I'll lose some more and hit 199 lbs sometime at the end of this month.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 08:20

BF:

Was not able to eat only 2 meals/day. I got hungry. I'm not going into extremes anymore for now. Plus I do work out almost daily so I need to eat when I get hungry.

I'm in the process of reading Chris Kresser's book: "Your Personal Paleo Code". I realized that I did make a few mistakes regarding my current diet. I'm not done with the book but I've learned some new things.

I'll start fresh tomorrow with 14 days of clean and correct Paleo plus IF 16:8.

Last edited by Melilotus : Tue, Apr-16-19 at 20:19.