Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 14:27

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Some quotes from the article.

"It’s true that whole fruit contains sugar, but it is natural sugar. The sugar we would be wise to limit is added sugar, found in regular soda and many highly processed foods. When you eat an apple, a pear, a peach or some berries, their sugar comes wrapped in a fiber-rich, water-rich, nutrient-rich package. That fiber slows the release of fruit’s natural sugar into your bloodstream, preventing a sugar spike, especially if you eat your fruit as part of a meal or snack that contains protein and healthy fats."

'What about juice? Juice has been vilified (likened to soda but with more nutrients) or glorified (consumed freely because of those nutrients). Although drinking juice every time we’re thirsty isn’t a good idea, 100 percent fruit juice in moderation — an 8-ounce glass per day — adds nutritional value to the diet without adding excessive sugar. Orange juice, in particular, does not appear to affect blood sugar, possibly because of the soluble fiber and pectin that makes it into the glass, as well as the phytochemical hesperidin."

Sounds like the author has a fruit association agenda to me.

There are always scientific sounding articles that are really propaganda in disguise. There are others that are well meaning but wrong too.

And sometimes what works for one is poison to another.

Sometimes this makes it hard to know what to believe. And it sometimes takes time for us to know what works with each of ourselves.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 14:34

BF:

One also remember these things about fruit:

1) Fruit used to contain much, much, much, much less sugar than it does now. We have used selective breeding for better taste pretty much since the 'invention' of agriculture. I understand the few wild apples left are quite tart or bitter and not sweet.

2) Fruit usually ripens right before the 'starvation season' -- that is winter in the temperate zones and the dry season in the tropical climates. The animals that consume the fruit when it is ripe and in season will gain some fat, this will give them some reserve to allow them to last through the starvation season. The ones who had the sweet tooth, survived, many of those who didn't have a sweet tooth died in the starvation season, and thus we have inherited that sweet tooth.

Me? I can't eat it and stay in ketosis.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 16:31

Plan: Eat Rich Live Long
Stats: 176/154/147 Male 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default My experiments with "natural" fruits

I had high cholesterol with adverse ratios (Trig/HDL, Chol/HDL) and high levels of inflammatory markers like CRP.

All this went away when I cut fruit to <= 2 a day (e.g. two oranges). I was able to make it all come and go by changing only my fruit intake.

The "natural" sucrose in fruit is the same as any other sucrose, apart from a little vitamin C and fiber. And the fruits we eat now are bred for size and sweetness, bearing little relationship in most cases to the original natural fruit. They were certainly not available in unlimited quantities all year around.

A lot of medical people just parrot the stuff they memorised at school, with little insight.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 02:52

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Imagine actually reading these things and making wrong decisions based on them.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 08:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, timjosling. Yes, fruit can cause metabolic disruption depending on the types and amounts one eats. I stay away from all sweet fruit; although, I may occasionally have some blueberries. Avocados, cucumbers, peppers are in play for me, mostly avocados. You seem to understand the impact of fruit and need for control in this case. Enjoy the journey.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 11:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Imagine actually reading these things and making wrong decisions based on them.

There is a lot of misinformation out there created by people with an agenda.

The fruit growers will come up with a faux-scientific study published by a group they created with a healthy and scientific name as an advertisement to sell fruit.

The grain people actually pay the American Heart Association millions of dollars every year to tell us not to eat meat but to eat cereal instead. Oh, it's not an out and out bribe, but a tacit bribe in the way of huge donations.

I remember when 4 out of 5 doctors recommended Camel cigarettes to calm your nerves.

There are PR companies who carry out the agendas of certain groups to convince us what is bad for us is good for us. And visa versa.

Bob