Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 11:23

Plan: Metabolic Diet
Stats: 313/295.4/210 Male 176 cm
BF:46%/39%/15%
Progress: 17%
Cool It's hard to be a lowcarber in Italy

Hi,
I'm Fabio, from Milan, Italy.
As I can see, there is just one another italian here, Jacopo from Venice.
This is a good demo of the number of italians that are aware about LC dieting. :-(

I'm in Metabolic Diet since October and I'd like to find someone who is following the same plan to exchange opinions about the best supplements to use to integrate the diet, maximize weight loss and avoid the problems that one could have.

You can imagine how is difficult to be a lowcarber in Italy where we are used to eat bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, vegetables and fruit in large quantities. However I probably have a good attitude to this diet, since I like very much meat, fish, eggs and cheese and the availibility of olive oil it's not a problem here!

Ciao,
Fabio
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Ciao, Fabio. Di' "caio" àlla bella Italia per me, e scusame per il mio brutto italiano. Non ho mai visitato Milano neanche Venezia. Vorrei bene, ma.....

Capisco che nella paese di pasta e pizza questa vita di "lowcarb" non è facile, ma almeno puoi mangiare secondo piatto e poi ancora secondo piatto etc. Spesso quando sto cercando un pranzo "lowcarb" quì in Inghilterra, provo di trovare un ristorante Italiano, perchè là c'era un buon scelto di carne e verdura.

In ogni caso, buon appetito!

Gez
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 08:24

Plan: Metabolic Diet
Stats: 313/295.4/210 Male 176 cm
BF:46%/39%/15%
Progress: 17%
Default What a surprise!

Hi Suleika,
it's a great surprise to me reading someone that writes in italian and is not Italian!!! Why did you learn our language? It's because of your occupation ("classicial musician"... WOW!)? I knew an Irish girl at Dublin, seven years ago, who spoke italian because she studied it at school where she was studying to became a "violinista".

What cities did you visit in Italy? Don't waste your time visiting Milan, in any case. Yes, the cathedral (the "Duomo") is very nice and a day spent in commercial streets it's a must, but if you search for the Italy that usually the foraigners expects, Milan it's not the good place. It's the richest italian town, but also the most chaotic and industrial zone you can find in our country.

You said the truth about the fact that it's easy to find a restaurant where to have a dish with meat and vegetables. In fact I've no problems at this. The hard part it's that in Italy most people it's so used to have pasta in it's diet every day, sometimes twice a day, that a lunch without pasta seems to be uncomplete or not satisfying.
As I said, I found that this diet is good for me and my wife is supporting me very well in this choice, but for my friends, parents and collegues, I appear like a "little green man coming from Marts".

I'm sure I did a lot of mistakes, I hope you can understand what I've written. :-)

Bye.
Fabio

Last edited by Fabio : Sun, Dec-07-03 at 08:26.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/? Female 63
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Fabio,

Although I am not from Italy, my parents are. I know how you feel about the pasta. My mother puts pasta with every meal, and the desserts!!! When I go to visit I just eat the meat and vegetables but she yells and me for letting all the other food go to waste. I have to say they are slowly getting used to it.
I don't point out that I'm on a diet and just put what I can eat on my plate.
Good luck!
Julia
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 16:02
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi, Fabio -
I blame Italy for falling back into high carb eating back in February! OK, not really, but my trip to Italy last winter certainly didn't help. I had a wonderful time in your country, but I must say that the thought of maintaining my low-carb eating was just too much work over there! It can be a difficult lifestyle in THIS country and the US is much more low-carb friendly than Italy is. Good luck, and I hope you find some other Italians who can help support your efforts.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 12:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm going to be visiting Rome in the spring, and I am convinced I can eat low carb fairly happily eating meat, cheese, frittattas, and vegetables--with a little wine--that's only fair, don't you think?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 13:58

Plan: Fat Flush Plan, slightly modified
Stats: 187/168/138 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio
Don't waste your time visiting Milan, in any case. Yes, the cathedral (the "Duomo") is very nice and a day spent in commercial streets it's a must, but if you search for the Italy that usually the foraigners expects, Milan it's not the good place. It's the richest italian town, but also the most chaotic and industrial zone you can find in our country.

I don't agree. Milan at night, when the traffic slows down, is beautiful. Not as romantic as Venice and Florence and some areas of Rome, but nevertheless, fascinating, especially at Xmas.

Elisa
Italian, too - from Sardinia
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

I just revisited this thread and there's a post missing. I did write one, I remember well, but it's not here. Maybe I forgot to click on "post". I remember writing in Italian for Fabio. It was ages ago now.

Are you still there, Fabio?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 03:38

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio
You can imagine how is difficult to be a lowcarber in Italy where we are used to eat bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, vegetables and fruit in large quantities.

it is hard-err here too usual ppl here can eat white rice, rice and rice about 3-4 times a day...potato, banana all those tea-time snacks hmmm....

guess we're in the same boat
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 06:36

BF:

I just got back from a week in Rome. I didn't think it was harder to stay low carb than in the U.S. Pasta and pizza and rice are everywhere in the U.S. now as well, and we tend to eat them as the main course. At least in Italy is usual to have chicken, veal, beef, or fish as a main course at dinner. The first course can easily be a salad or something like prosciutto. I actually lost some weight on my trip! The gelato was the hardest thing to pass up for me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 06:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleika
I just revisited this thread and there's a post missing. I did write one, I remember well, but it's not here. Maybe I forgot to click on "post". I remember writing in Italian for Fabio. It was ages ago now.

Are you still there, Fabio?

Gez, I can still see your post--it is #2 in the thread.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 22:21

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Pasta and pizza and rice are everywhere in the U.S. now as well, and we tend to eat them as the main course.

true

my bf said he's never eaten so much rice in his life than he did here since the last 3 months (this was 3 years ago) and it was funny cuz i've never eaten so much bread in my life than i did since with him!

adding to how much rice eaten on this part of the world...i can buy bread n give it to my family for breakfast and none will eat it! but they'll have full stack of rice meals the whole day round! i managed to introduce them brown rice tho...they dont really like it lol!

but now i do prefer bread than rice at least the wholegrain one won't cost me too much bad carb cheers
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 160/158/140 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 10%

Fabio...Buon Giorno..I have news for you. It is difficult to be on LC in Milan, "yes", but if one is Italain or Italian Decent, it is also difficult and right here in U.S.A. too. Because I was raised the same way you were. On Pasta, Pizza, Potatoes, delicious Italian Pastries etc. etc. The brain NEVER forgets these wonderful foods. So, I try very hard not to even have one taste, or I crave them all the time. My mom, God Bless her Soul, always said, "Mangia, Mangia eh fatti grossa". To give a guest some food, was our way of entertaining them. So, now I must pay the price and get all my old ways, in the past where they belong.

Mary1568
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 11:58

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Ciao Fabio, anche parlo/scrivo in italiano - cosi cosi - e non sono italiana - sono tedesca-americana. In ogni caso - il resto in inglese in caso i altri sono interessati.

It seems ironic that on one hand you find it hard to low carb in Italiy, on the other hand South Beach certainly is in part modeled after the Mediterranian diet - in the book, he describes how the low fat diet was developed - that studies showed a correlation with high fat and obesity, with one exception that was bascially ignored: Mediterranian countries. So South Beach has some of those elements - stressing veggies, fish and olive oil. I have been in Italy, and it certainly isn't common there, like in America, to eat pasta or Pizza as your only course - it seems portions of pasta are much more reasonable, more as part of a meal, and it is so easy to just order meat and veggies!

But I can see your point too - bread is everywhere, especially white one!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 12:50

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Well like most of you guys im italian too...work with a whole bunch of italians too...so if you think its not hard think twice...dont have to be in italian when you come from an italian family to find LC hard...but thats where the italian character kicks in...pig head...so you try hard hard hard to say NO dont want that dont need that...yeah ok easier said then done...in italy they arent all overweight...alot especially the new generations are very good looking and slim...they walk everywhere in italy...not worth taking your car out and its all hills...so you can be careful if you have a will...another advantage tons of fresh food...so thats good too...dont forget, italian food is the basic of all international dish...im sure even the italians not living in italy eats fresh cause you were brought up like that or you got caught in the american wave all fast, boxed, frozen etc...so we're all in the same boat and lets all hang in there...

lan