Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Conscious Combining
Stats: 182.8/171.8/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Hello! I am a New (Old) FC'er

I am back to FC - I am a rather strict combiner, it has always been the only food plan that really works for me long term as far as eating healthy food and sticking with it. I had been under a lot of stress finishing grad school and yadda yadda yadda... gained a ton of weight. So I am on the straight and narrow. I started with my food plan five days ago and I feel really good. anyway would love to chit chat with other combiners!

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 22:21

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

Welcome.

Not sure exactly what food combining is but if it works for you that's great. Good luck on your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:

Basically Food Combining is an eating plan in which you do not mix carbohydrates and proteins. Low-carb diets like atkins have some elements of food combining in them but they are not necessarily food combining plans.

J.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 02:52

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Good luck with your journey Jenn. Are you following a particular book or just basing it on your own knowledge?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 07:55
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Robert,

My nutritionist in the late 90' to early 2000's was Judy Mazel - she is known for writing the beverly hills diet. The diet takes a lot of flack but Judy just used the same food combining rules in that book that are found in Hays, and then after her in Fit for Life, Somersizing and the Marilu Henners book. So I follow Judy's rules, but they are similar to the rules you would find in any food combining program. Judy called her way "Conscious Combining" so thats what I do.

Judy's books are mostly out of print. You can still get the New Beverly Hills diet but honestly its not as clear about food combining as the 81 book. She also wrote a book called the Beverly Hills diet Lifetime plan (in england it was called living with the beverly hills diet) which also has a lot of great info on food combining. If you can get past how dated the books are - and if Judy's personal style does not turn you off, they are great books. She was an awesome person to talk to! always bubbly and positive! I was the thinnist and most healthy I have ever been when working with her. I have gotten thin since but never in a healthy or positive way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 09:22

Hi Jann. I just found the original '81 book online and ordered a copy. Thank you for all the information.
Robert
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 06:21

Well Jenn I've just read The Beverly Hills Diet '81 edition. All that fruit! Weeks of it! It's not a plan I could follow I'm afriad. I like my food combining more Hays style. Still if it works for you then good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:

HA! yeah the fruit.... but I was more suggeting her thoughts on general food combining. Fruit is not as big a part of maintinance on the 81 plan but the fruit detox at the start is rough, luckily its not somthing that gets repeated unless you have been going hog wild for 6 months or more,,,,

starting 5 out of 7 days with fruit is the recomendation on maint... anyhow I think any food combining plan is good.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-10, 08:57

Plan: Fit for Life
Stats: 156/156/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Same boat

I too did food combing over 20 years ago with great success! Only time in my life that I lost weight and felt great. I have made several attempts to reurn but with no success. I need to make the commitment so maybe we can support each other.

Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 00:30

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Are you still around trying this? I need support too!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 16:16

Plan: Fit for Life
Stats: 156/156/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am still here :-) I have lost 6 pounds so far!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 11:15

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

That is great! I am trying to get back started! I know that when I did it I swore to myself to never forget that this works for me! Obviously I didn't have much faith in that I was going to stay true to it. But here I am trying to get back remembering that it indeed works!

Congratulations on your weightloss!