Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 05:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/234/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Maybe a Stupid Question but I'm confused????

I've known about the Atkins Diet since the 70's, I've read the book. When I read these threads I'm getting a bit confused on something......I am on Induction, I've done quiet well, I've lost 8 pounds in 9 days, I haven't cheated the first time.

Question: When you say only 20 grams carbohydrates a day, do you mean the grams in everything??? Or do you mean 20 grams over the FREE/LEGAL food you can eat like meats & eggs?

I looked at the Carb Counter and found that eggs had 1.4 g fried, and bacon has 1.5 g per slice. I was thinking....if I eat 4 fried eggs ~ 1.4 g per egg, that's 5.6 g carbs. Then there's the bacon at 1.5 g per slice times 4 slices, equals 6.0 g carbs. That's a total of 11.6 g carbs. Boy that just about BLOWS the day!

I have always thought the FREE/LEGAL foods were all you can eat, don't over do it, just eat till satisfied.

I haven't eaten any cheeses or peanuts because I've read that they can contribute to a stall. I'm just holding off till I get bored.

For now, I'm mainly eating meats, eggs, just a bit of veggies to give taste when I make tuna or chicken salad. The veggies I've eaten are onion and celery.

I drink LOADS of water a day, trying to kick the habit of regular coffee. I drink so much water that going to the bathroom so many times a day is becoming a hassle.

I've also checked and I am in ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atkins means 20 grams of carbohydrates over and above the "free foods". When we speak about it here, we like to make people aware that there are carbs in some of the free foods like the ones you've listed above and things like coffee, artificial sweeteners and cream.

Some people choose to include the carbs of the free foods in the total count for the day, some not. It's just something to be aware of.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/234/140
BF:
Progress: 3%

Karen, thank you so much for clearing that up for me. At the present time my motto is: "Keep it Simple". I find when you read too much into something that I get side tracked, confused and fall off the wagon. I'm trying my best to stay on the WOE because at my age I think about health risks. I do want to look good, be slim and everything that goes along with weight loss. But for now, I'm thinking more in terms of being healthy.

Thanks again,
Debi
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 14:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But for now, I'm thinking more in terms of being healthy.

That's the best way to think. With the big picture in mind, you won't run away in a screaming fit. The people who are most successful look at the long term abd view weight loss as a happy bonus.

Karen