Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 13:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default High Carb Green Vegetables

After not getting in enough greens for calorie boost day again, I serched through our most wonderful carb counter to find high carb green vegetables. I realized afterwards that I should have added the fiber counts for future reference. I'll get to it later!

All the counts are for 100 grams raw weight, which is roughly 3 1/2 ounces.

Artichokes – 11.8
Green Soya Beans (Edamame) – 11.05 This is a bean so I'm not sure if it should be used
Kale – 10.01
Dandelion Greens – 6.40
Brussel Sprouts – 8.67
Green Beans – 7.75
Okra – 7.21
Snow Peas – 7.20
Collard Greens – 5.69
Savoy Cabbage – 6.10
Green Cabbage – 5.43
Broccoli – 5.24
Mustard Greens – 4.7
Asparagus – 4.54
Swiss Chard – 3.74
Green Peppers – 6.43
Green Cauliflower – 6.09
Chicory — 4.70
Beet greens – 3.97
Celery – 3.65
Arugula – 3.65
Looseleaf Lettuce – 3.5
Spinach – 3.5
Chinese Cabbage – 3.23
Romaine Lettuce – 2.37
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 13:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up thanks Karen

Wow, this is terrific, lots of variety. Since we're using total carbs not effective carbs for the Calorie Boost days of this study, don't worry about the fiber counts.

You bring up another good point, that I've been noticing for myself too. That is using the weight of the food as the measuring guide. A spear of broccoli can weigh anywhere from 150 to 250g. Depending on how coarsely chopped it is, the cup measure could be way off too.

I was eating only 1/2 an avocado on the first week's Fat Fast day, since I read that the carb count is high-ish ... around 12g (less 5g fiber). That's for an 8 oz Hass (from California/Mexico). I weighed mine, it's barely 5 oz whole.

thanks for this!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 13:52
Forum Founder

BF:

I have a groovy scale at home and of course there are scales everywhere at work.

The one at home is a Salter Aquatronic. It has grams, ounces and can also weigh liquids and convert them into liquid ounces or milliliters.

When I weighed the green beans for breakfast yesterday I was quite shocked to see what a large amount 3 1/2 ounces were. The opposite was true last night when I was looking at the tuna belly in the bag before preparing it. I thought it was about 4 oz., but it was 8! Weighing is the way to go!

One of the things I'm enjoying about the Study is that I haven't stopped learing new things since I've started. Salads and spinach are always a default for me, but now I see that it will be easy to get the 25 grams of green.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 16:50

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

After reading the most recent postings about Green Veggies, I am more confused than ever as to how much of these I eat during my Calorie Boost days.

Are the 25 grams of green vegetables the net weight after the fibre has been deducted or is it including the fibre?

As an example, I have been eating 3 cups of broccoli because Fitday rates this as 24 g. of carbs. I find that they do not show the fibre content of individual foods, only the total consumed for the day.

Am I correct in assuming that on Karen's list that I would have to now eat 5 cups of broccoli to meat my 25 gram requirement.

How did we arrive at this 25 gram green veggie requirement, without fibre?

Thanks for any enlightment that I may receive.

Regards
Joe

P.S. I don't believe that the Calorie Booster helps the cause towards losing weight.

After eating 1000 calories on Fast Days ( which translates to 5.5 lbs. per pound) and then my having to jump up to 2366 calories to achieve 13 lbs. per pond weight the next day. My average normal LC day is approximately 1400 calories (or 7.7 lbs. per pound) It does not compute in my slow computer.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 17:11
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Are the 25 grams of green vegetables the net weight after the fibre has been deducted or is it including the fibre?
It's total grams of carb including fiber; do not subtract. However, on your regular Low-carb days, if you normally subtract fiber in the program you're following, then by all means continue to do that. I do.
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that on Karen's list that I would have to now eat 5 cups of broccoli to meat my 25 gram requirement.
Joe, the foods that Karen has listed are for 100grams of the food, which might not equal 1 cup. I believe that Fitday uses the USDA values, which is the same as our Carb Counter tool which Karen used ... of course, Wa'il's counter uses the most up-to-date release (July 2001) ... and I am completely UNbiased.
Quote:
A proper and scientific study has to have guidelines and standards for all to follow. We all must be eating the same things in the same amounts in the same pattern of Fast days followed by Calorie Boost ... Otherwise, if we each just did our own thing willy-nilly ..... any results would be meaningless. I'm not sure if in the end it will give me any grand results either, but for the purpose of the study, I try to follow it as exactly as possible -- and yes, in the first week I ate veggies that were not green. Ooops!
Quote:
P.S. I don't believe that the Calorie Booster helps the cause towards losing weight.
Y'know ... I think we have consensus on THAT one. I tolerate the Calorie Boost day following the Fat Fast .... much better than the one following the Lean Protien Stillman day. That's a killer for sure!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 18:30
Forum Founder

BF:

I think the Calorie Boost day does help because you have to somehow make up your calories for the week. If you kept your calories low - and it is hard to eat the day after both fasts - you would go into starvation mode.

If your average calories per day are 7.7 per pound, they are to low. They should be at least 10 per pound to again, prevent starvation mode. Anyway, your average daily calories for the week is 1561, not too far a cry from 1400.

The the green vegetables helps to keep things "running smoothly" after a day of fat ond one of lean meats.

If you use good vegetable fats (and meat fats) on calorie boost days, it is quite easy to get your cals up without stuffing yourself. Now that I have discovered what green vegetables are highest in carbs and posted them, there shouldn't be a problem with overeating.

Quote:

We didn't. The instructions were to eat 25 grams of carbs in the form of green vegetables. ECC was never mentioned.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 21:02

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Yhanks Doreen and Karen for your prompt explanations to my queries.

Therefore as I understand it as of now--- I should eat on Calorie Boost days only 25 grams of green veggies which include fibre grams.

Therefore I have to find out the fibre grams in Karen's list and add them to her gram count to arrive at the proper gram count for each green vegetable that I consume.

I am certainly pleased that I have such knowledgeable Low Carbers to guide me on this programme.

This exercise is certainly teaching me how to accurately apply the LC WOE in order to properly follow the DR. A. plan.

I believe now that I have been doing it wrong ever since I started in mid March.. I cannot see how anybody can truly do Dr. Atkins if they do not accurately count the carbs., etc.

Regards
Joe
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 21:15
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by jomil
Therefore I have to find out the fibre grams in Karen's list and add them to her gram count to arrive at the proper gram count for each green vegetable that I consume.oe
Joe, I checked the carb counter .... Karen's list shows the total carbs, including fiber. There's no need to add anything more to the numbers she gives.

No need to make extra work for yourself...

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 10:42
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile

Ok, this isn't a higher-carb green vegetable, but one that gets overlooked way too often.

Parsley

I love parsley, use it a lot. The flat leaf or Italian variety has the best flavour IMHO. 100 grams of parsley would be at least 2 packed cups after chopping, or a huge bunch. I chopped up the leaves of an average-sized bunch, and it weighed ~50g, and packed it into a one-cup measure.

50g / 1 cup packed .... chopped parsley has =

18 calories, 3.2g total carbs / 1.7g fiber, 1.5g protein, 0 fat

AND

- over 100% of the RDA for vitamin C, E and selenium (all anti-oxidants)
- 50% RDA vitamin A, 40% RDA folate
- 227mg potassium

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 11:08
Forum Founder

BF:
Cool High Carb Green Vegetable Dip

Here's an easy way to get those veggies in. I'm finding that pur้eing them helps decrease the "bulkiness" quite a bit, and easier on the tum to ingest.

100g broccoli (approx 1 cup)
1 large green onion
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp grainy dijon
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground cumin
dash salt

- Steam the broccoli -- rinse under cold water, and drain well. Finely chop along with the onion in food processor or blender. Add mayo, dijon, herbs .. adjust seasonings as desired. Chill for at least an hour for flavours to blend.

calories: 437
Fat: 45g
Carbs: 9.5g (8g from green veg.) / Fiber: 4g
Protein: 5g

- Absolutely yummy with pork rinds, strips of cold roast beef. I don't have any at the moment, but I imagine it would taste pretty terrific with cold roast lamb as well.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 11:44
Forum Founder

BF:
Cool Variation

I had some brussels sprouts that needed eating ... so .. pur้ed them for this dip. I made a few changes to the seasonings as well, and left out the onion. It was pretty awesome, if I must say so ... and I think pur้ed veggie dips are going to become regular features around here.

Brussels Sprouts Dip

100g brussels sprouts, steamed, drained and cooled
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper to taste

- Process sprouts until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and pur้e. Chill for an hour to let flavours develop.

calories: 436
Fat: 44g
Carbs: 10g / Fiber: 4g (8.5g from green veg.)
Protein: 4g

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 11:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Variation

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
1 tsp grainy mustard

Doreen, when you say "grainy mustard" do you mean the kind with the seeds?

Thx.
Nat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 12:16
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Doreen, when you say "grainy mustard" do you mean the kind with the seeds?

Yes. You could use any dijon-type mustard ... the carb counts are similar (not honey sweetened type, obviously). I have Grey Poupon Country Dijon (President's Choice Country Style is good too). Carb count is 0.9g for 1 Tbsp (15 ml) .... so 1 tsp (5 ml) is 0.3g carbs

Doreen

p.s. - I would also add a Tbsp fresh lemon juice, but not for the Calorie Boost days of this Study project. It's not a green veg. carb
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 12:39
Forum Founder

BF:

Neither is mustard.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 13:02
Forum Founder

BF:
Talking ya, I know ... but the lesser of two evils

Technically, shouldn't be having the following either -

- coffee, tea, tisanes
- spices of any kind, garlic, ginger, not even black pepper ... herbs would be ok, since they are from green leafy plants
- flavour extracts
- tamari or soy sauce
- mayonnaise (the egg)
- eggs, egg substitutes
- seafood
- chicken livers
- ham, bacon, deli meat .. unless guaranteed sugar-free
- packet or bulk sweeteners
- plus other stuff I can't bring to mind at the moment.

Only "acceptable" zero carb things would be plain meat, poultry fish, oils, ghee ... water, distilled vinegar, salt. Period.

I'm glad I'm coming to the final days of the project. There are elements I'd like to continue to play with, but a few I'll be going YIPPEEE when it's done .... like today is my final Calorie Boost day ... soiled by a blob of mustard on the end of a spoon.

Doreen