Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 05:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Intermittent fasting works for many — for weight loss and also for heart health

Intermittent fasting works for many — not only for weight loss but also for heart health

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...b482_story.html

Quote:
The eating regimen called “intermittent fasting” first caught my attention last year when my friend Reid Freeman, 61, who runs a factory in Lexington, Ky., told me he’d been using it to lose weight. He hoped weight loss would help with his obstructive sleep apnea, which is associated with an increased risk of heart attack, stroke and abnormal heartbeats (known as atrial fibrillation, or AFib).

Now three years into intermittent fasting, Freeman recently told me he has shed 45 pounds thanks to it — and even more important, his sleep apnea is gone, which likely reduces his risk of a cardiac event.

I had followed up with Freeman because I’d recently learned that I was at high risk for a heart attack — not because of sleep apnea but because I have metabolic syndrome. That’s a catchall disorder that includes obesity, insulin resistance or hypertension, or a combination of them, that increases the risk of heart disease and heart attack. Based on those risks, my cardiologist, Arthur Agatston, an associate professor at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, had recommended intermittent fasting to me.
Quote:
Agatston, my cardiologist, told me he thought intermittent fasting would effectively address my insulin resistance, which is caused by consuming too much sugar and refined carbohydrates (including bread, white rice and pasta). Insulin resistance often progresses to prediabetes, then diabetes, high blood pressure and even atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries.

I'm assuming this is the same Arthur Agatson who developed the South Beach Diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 08:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good article, Demi. Thanks for the link. The Mark Mattson references are particularly meaningful when citing the science behind the benefits of IF. Also, the three concerns by Orringer as to why he can't recommend IF make sense, he knows nothing and hasn't taken the time to familiarize himself with current research. He's simply reacting the way most would who are eating a SAD when told they would benefit by not eating so frequently:

Quote:
●It’s difficult to adhere to, given how culturally ingrained our mealtimes are.

●It may cause short-term hunger, irritability and trouble concentrating.

●Most physicians are not trained to prescribe such regimens.

Those who use IF to complement their WOE know that all these are easily overcome. As for the 3rd bullet, find another physician.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 10:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

It is hard to change ingrained regimes, but not impossible. Just need a good reason to change.

Years ago I struggled with reducing portions. Big plates, full glasses of milk was how I grew up. I tried pouring half or 3/4 of a glass which was an emotional upset. Embracing the kaos and repeating the effort paid off, though it truly took years. Years.

Our children are a good reason to change. To prevent another generation of obesity. My kids skip meals if they are not hungry; and have seconds when they are. A "glass" could be small like a mug, or huge like a qt mason jar. No regime.

Set regimes, as an excuse, is just a fear of change.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Jun-14-20 at 10:45.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 10:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow, thanks for that link. Surprisingly I was able to read it. I don’t usually even bother on clicking on Washington Post links as they always just tell me I need a subscription to read the article. But this one let me read.

Yeah that Dr. Orringer’s caveats are exceptionally lame and I feel sorry for his patients who are missing out on something which could be amazing for their health.

I’m also surprised there was no reference to Dr. Jason Fung. If the author read one of Fung’s books he’d know how bogus his fears are about:
Quote:
I remain on the fence for two reasons: I’ve been trained over many years that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
and would have a good chance of overcoming his own health issues.

Or as Dr. Fung says, any time you eat after fasting it’s a “break fast”, doesn’t matter if it’s 8 AM or 2 PM. 😂

And as for me, I’ve lost 30 pounds in the last three months following a Fung fasting protocol which I’m not allowed to talk about in these forums except in my own journal.

As an aside, anyone else ever suffer from autocorrect embarrassment? Autocorrect originally tried to “correct” protocol to proctologist. 🤣
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 13:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
as Dr. Fung says, any time you eat after fasting it’s a “break fast”, doesn’t matter if it’s 8 AM or 2 PM. 😂

lol we usually have breakfast when ever the food is ready. Today, 12 noon. No rush these days.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 15:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
lol we usually have breakfast when ever the food is ready. Today, 12 noon. No rush these days.
My breakfast today was 3 PM! Though at 11 AM I did have a French Press pot of Crio Bru with 2 tbsp of heavy cream so I guess that technically broke my fast.