Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 12:00

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

With a large percentage of the population on statins, you would think that the number of people being hospitalized for heart failures would be declining if the statins were beneficial.

I just saw this article that is headlined US Heart Failure Hospitalization Rate Almost Tripled Over 3 Decades.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 14:04

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Which leads me to wonder why anyone would prescribe a statin when aspirin is dirt cheap.

After Metformin in whatever form and whatever dose reactivated my GERD, I dropped aspirin (1/4 tablet) and it seems to have solved the problem. If I had not had my statin doubled, but rather dropped to a very low dose I suspect the reaction may not have happened (Overdosed, book).
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 22:10

Plan: all meat with IF
Stats: 284.5/259.9/153.0 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 19%

I like how they state in the article that half of all heart attacks occur in people with "normal or low cholestoral,'" which of course clearly points out that cholesterol levels have no correlation to heart attack risk or causality in heart attacks.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 00:05
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I remain amazed that these drugs are prescribed around the world to so many people. I am further amazed by people who will take them, knowing they can do no good at all, because they are afraid their doctors will refuse to treat them if they refuse to take statins.

I've watched researchers in my field take huge leaps of reasoning without realizing what they are doing and seen where that huge leap bit them in the butt. Statins affect heart disease is a huge leap of reasoning.

The issue is that all the information provided to prescribing doctors is dogmatic in its strong belief in the use of statins. Medical doctors virtually never hear or see anything that suggests anything to the contrary. Second, only a small percentage of physicians have the epidemiologic and statistical training to read and thoroughly comprehend the subject matter literature that would allow them to become educated skeptics.

Quote:
But, I could have sworn that there have been other papers showing that it is likely the reason statins have any effect is because of their anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, I thought that was in Taubes book. Which leads me to wonder why anyone would prescribe a statin when aspirin is dirt cheap.

There aren't thousands of drug reps trying to sell aspirin to prescribing doctors like there are for statins. Unfortunate, but true...but I'm assuming that was a rhetorical question on your part Liz.

--Melissa
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 20:47
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Medical doctors virtually never hear or see anything that suggests anything to the contrary.
Unless they get stuck with me as a patient! I'm known to be somewhat outspoken around doctors, not to mention stubborn!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 21:15

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
Unless they get stuck with me as a patient! I'm known to be somewhat outspoken around doctors, not to mention stubborn!

Oh man it's so good to see I'm not the only one. I already have one doctor who won't speak to me (which is fine.. he was a jerk anyway and I had been looking to replace him since the first second I stepped in his office) and a gynecologist who stiffens up when I come into the office.

My BF was going to recommend his dentist to me, but before he makes up his mind he wants me to promise I won't yell at the guy. I told him I couldn't make that promise.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 21:48

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Dentist don't peddle over-hyped uneffective and potential dangerous drugs. At most they will exhort you to floss.

So there should be no reason to yell at him. If you do, then maybe you're the problem :P
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 23:28

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Cholesterol is not by itself a disease nor is it a predictor for disease. Statins therefore can't be considered beneficial. Except perhaps that they make a lot of money for a lot of people.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 23:31

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Dentist don't peddle over-hyped uneffective and potential dangerous drugs. At most they will exhort you to floss.

So there should be no reason to yell at him. If you do, then maybe you're the problem :P

Perhaps your dentists aren't as much of fluoride pushers as mine have been
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 05:31

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

All I can say is, thank God for the NHS. The prescribing budgets are so tight here, I can't imagine the UK ever pushing for statins to be prescribed to all healthy adults in case a few of them benefit at some point.