Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 18:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstartz

That's identical to our listing:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.p...9038&do=details

Basic Data
Energy 289 kcal
Energy 1206 kj
Carbohydrate, by difference 14.95 g
Sugars, total 0.52 g
Fiber, total dietary 11.8 g
Starch 0.19 g
Sucrose 0.10 g
Glucose (dextrose) 0.14 g
Fructose 0.14 g
Lactose 0.00 g
Maltose 0.00 g
Galactose 0.14 g
Protein 3.39 g
Total lipid (fat) 26.66 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Fatty acids, total saturated 3.678 g
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated 16.952 g
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated 3.142 g
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 18:41
Rather Be Ballooning

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Okay, they all are basically the same. (Of course, Atkins still says we can take 5 or those 7.5 carbs off our count....)

Why have the PECC category on 'My P.L.A.N.' if the CARB and PECC columns are going to be the same?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 18:56
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstartz
Okay, they all are basically the same. (Of course, Atkins still says we can take 5 or those 7.5 carbs off our count....)

Why have the PECC category on 'My P.L.A.N.' if the CARB and PECC columns are going to be the same?

Because some companies don't subtract the fiber, and if the tool finds the fiber has not been already subtracted, it will reflect that in the PECC

This is only a small subset of the entries that has that.

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 19:16
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Alrighty then!

Thank you ever so much for spending so much time and energy with this. It is truly appreciated!!!

Donna/dstartz
Wondering if we could have a fiber column so we know how much we're getting in our diet....
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 07:48
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

This kinda freaks me out, I mean, it looks like everything I've been eating already has had the fiber deducted, and I've been re-deducting it. Also, most of my LC products that claim to be so low carb, already have deducted the fiber and are blatently lying on their packaging that they didn't. To stay at 20 carbs, my my veggie intake needs to be cut dramatically..
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 08:57
Forum Founder

Well, the situation is bad, but not that bad.

The problem is that some subtract fiber, and some don't. There's no easy way to find out if it's one way or the other.

However, I've been researching this issue in depth, and might have found a way to narrow down the uncertainty.

Stay tuned, there will be a new thread with the new findings, and an update to our database.

Wa'il
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 12:52
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

According to the USDA site (ASCII file of the nutrient definition file http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco...sc/NUTR_DEF.txt ), they use the CHOCDF method of carbohydrate measurement, which is the following, and does not subtract fiber.

CHOCDF> Total carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, alcohol and ash

These are the different methods:

<CHOCDF> Total carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, alcohol and ash

<CHOCSM> Total carbohydrate calculated by summation of analytical values of free sugars, dextrin, oligosaccharides, starch, glycogen

<CHOAVLDF> Available carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, fibre, alcohol and ash

<CHOAVL> Available carbohydrate, calculated by summation of analytical values of free sugars, dextrin, oligosaccharides, starch, glycogen

<CHOAVLM> Available carbohydrate expressed as monosaccharide equivalent
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 12:59
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Okay, never mind. I got a reply in another thread which answered this question. Thanks to Wa'il.

Here is the thread that explains it, for anyone who comes along and has the same question.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234348
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 13:22
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog
According to the USDA site (ASCII file of the nutrient definition file http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco...sc/NUTR_DEF.txt ), they use the CHOCDF method of carbohydrate measurement, which is the following, and does not subtract fiber.

CHOCDF> Total carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, alcohol and ash

These are the different methods:

<CHOCDF> Total carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, alcohol and ash

<CHOCSM> Total carbohydrate calculated by summation of analytical values of free sugars, dextrin, oligosaccharides, starch, glycogen

<CHOAVLDF> Available carbohydrate by difference, calculated as 100g minus the sum of grams of water, protein, fat, fibre, alcohol and ash

<CHOAVL> Available carbohydrate, calculated by summation of analytical values of free sugars, dextrin, oligosaccharides, starch, glycogen

<CHOAVLM> Available carbohydrate expressed as monosaccharide equivalent

Note that these methods are further explained on pages 8-9 of the "Composition of Foods Raw, Processed, Prepared USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 17", where it explictly staes that label are allowed to use any of these two formulas:

Quote:
For formulated foods, calorie values (source codes 8 or 9; for more information on source codes, see p. 24) generally reflect industry practices (as permitted by NLEA) of calculating calories from 4-4-9 calories per gram of protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively, or from 4-4-9 calories per gram of protein, carbohydrate minus insoluble fiber, and fat. The latter method is often used for high-fiber foods.

Wa'il