Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 06:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I don't think we can tie an ideology down to mental illness, even when it leads to what seems irrational behaviour.

Also no apparent reason--at the very least, some of them have a lot of empathy for the fluffy bunnies. I wouldn't call it no reason, I'd certainly call it inadequate reason for such extreme behaviours. Basically, they've allowed animals into their "Us" and stuck human carnivores into their "Them." I think it's a fairly normal human tendency that leads to all sorts of trouble. It's not just the mentally ill humans who have trouble getting along with other groups of people.

Oh now teaser, they wouldn't let us eat people, either. They are full of DEADLY meat, yanno.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 13:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

If a person wants to avoid meat because he/she has empathy for other animals, that's fine with me. If a person wants to avoid meat because she/he thinks it's a healthy way to eat, that's fine with me. If a person doesn't eat any food because he/she just doesn't like it's taste, that's OK with me.

What is not OK with me is when they try to force others eat like they do.

And why is it that in the USA only the veggie people that do that?

I used to work with a guy who ate nothing green. Should these people have the right to form some PETA type organization to try to prohibit others from eating greens?

Then why should some people try to deny others from eating meat?

It reminds me of alcohol prohibition.

Perhaps misery loves company (just kidding of course)

Bob
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 14:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
If a person wants to avoid meat because he/she has empathy for other animals, that's fine with me.

Bob

For me the most bizarre part is that they have to disconnect from reality to do this. Which can have unexpected consequences, like feeding pets vegan diets.

When I tried vegetarianism it did not stop at meat, either. I was eating eggs and cheese and still getting miserable and sick. But I had also discovered how many animal products made the world go around. What was the point?

The last straw was learning the glue that held all my books together was from animals. I knew I wasn't giving up reading. So I decided to work on humane issues as a far better solution than patting myself on the back for my "ethical choice."
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 08:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>The last straw was learning the glue that held all my books together was from animals. I knew I wasn't giving up reading. <...>

That's great.

I never thought about it that way. It's not just fur coats. leather shoes, and silk ties, but many other items we use daily.

I always figured I gave life to the livestock, I gave them a safe no-stress life, and offered them a painless demise at the end.

They wouldn't have been born if they weren't a food source for humans.

They live contented without wolves, pumas, and other predators waiting for an opportunity.

And since most slaughter houses now follow the Temple Grandin model, there is little or no stress before they don't know what hit them.

So I don't have an ethical problem. I am choosy about how the food I eat was raised though. No lobsters in a tank with claw bound, no chickens brought up in a tiny cage, and so on. I don't have a problem with eating meat, just a problem with torturing the animal.

Bob
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 11:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I don't have a problem with eating meat, just a problem with torturing the animal.

Bob

Exactly! Getting rid of factory farms is my goal.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 12:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly! Getting rid of factory farms is my goal.

Me too. I do to buy meat that a comes from factory farms. I have recently come across the term "ethical omnivore" and that is what I try to be.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 13:04

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
They live contented without wolves, pumas, and other predators waiting for an opportunity.

Sorry to tell you that this is absolutely false!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 15:02

BF:

Here in Florida, the second biggest beef state in the US, the steers are free from predators. I know a couple of ranchers with hundreds of thousands of acres.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We have coyote here. Never a problem with good fencing and easy alternatives in the adjacent hunting preserve.Domestic dog is the greatest risk to my sheep. My stock are spoiled, not far to walk fir water, barn, hay, grain.....typical eastern set up. Chickens roost up in the rafters. Roosters stake out their territory during the day, then roost together at night... with a generous space between. lol Their girks are currently locked up in big stalls while raising chicks. Down to two free range hens.... predators took the others.

Used to have a dog to protect the flocks but while local laws protect the farm dogs, real incidents put the dogs at fault, not the stupid city people that have moved into this farm town. sigh.

With more demand for cage free, more producers can produce this more expensive product.

And for those that want fresh eggs, hens are easy pets.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:24

BF:

Totally forgot!!

Sarahs weeknight meaks featured a dairy farm in CT. Destined for breaking up into houselots, owners of a prominant shoe company bought the farm to save it. Then bought dairy cattle, and built a new barn. The girls live a lavish lifestyle. On well bedded rubber mats, and tails washed and combed everyday. The cleanest barn I have ever seen.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:35

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Totally forgot!!

Sarahs weeknight meaks featured a dairy farm in CT. Destined for breaking up into houselots, owners of a prominant shoe company bought the farm to save it. Then bought dairy cattle, and built a new barn. The girls live a lavish lifestyle. On well bedded rubber mats, and tails washed and combed everyday. The cleanest barn I have ever seen.

That is so cool! What shoe company? I might give them my business if they are on this side of the country.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:42

BF:

Im not a shoe person, though apoarently made damous via a tv show. If I see a rerun, I will be sure to pay attention .

farm name is Arethusa Farm Dairy.

their story.
https://www.arethusafarm.com/

owners
George Malkemus III & Tony Yurgaitis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footwe...1202769306/amp/

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Nov-14-19 at 16:57.