Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:21

Plan: haven't yet
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Metforim Makes me Sleepy

I am up to one 500 mg pill a day. It makes me so sleepy I'm like a zomby at work. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it. Will it go away. I take 137 mg of thyroid a day. I have also been real sick to my
stomach. I wondered if maybe I needed to take it in the evening with milk or something like that.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hmm...can't say I've ever had a problem with the Met making me sleepy. If you're also hypothyroid, do you think maybe your thyroid still isn't functioning properly? I know that was the cause of my fatigue, and started feeling better once my thyroid supplement was increased.

As for being sick to your stomach, that very well could be the Met - it has that effect on a lot of us at first. How long have you been on it? For me, the tummy trouble lasted about two weeks. I discovered that the best time (again, for ME) to take it was in the middle of my meal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 08:00

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 201/183/170 Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%

I was SO sleepy the first few weeks of taking my Glucophage. It gradually went away. I was also pretty yucky in my belly so I was switched to non-generic and that seemed to help... but I am taking generic at the moment (financial, non-generic is $$$$$$$ and generic is $7) with no problems.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 09:22

Plan: Complex carbs
Stats: 263/226/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 33%

I was sleepy on metformin when I was upped to 1500mg - I had been fine on 1000mg. Doc upped me to 2000mg and I've not had a problem since.

HH
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 21:06

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 21%

Metformin made me tired, grumpy, sleepy and I overall felt like crap. I hated it so I stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tketner
I am up to one 500 mg pill a day. It makes me so sleepy I'm like a zomby at work. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it. Will it go away. I take 137 mg of thyroid a day. I have also been real sick to my
stomach. I wondered if maybe I needed to take it in the evening with milk or something like that.

Thanks,
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:39

Plan: none
Stats: 146/126/105 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

I think metaformin has many benefits. I have been taking it for 6 years for my pcos and diabetes. When I'm not on metaformin i get very bad cravings and it helps suppresses it. For the first 2 weeks I had bad diaherria! After that my body started to get accustom to it and the diaherria stopped. But I do get very tired and fatigue. I started taking a multi vitamin and a mutli b vitamin. I noticed I have more energy. I heard that metaformin can cause a b defiencieny in result can cause you to become very tired. I don't know can it cause anemia? My doctor told me I am slightly anemic.