Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:04

Plan: SS
Stats: 204/204/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Breadcrumb Substitute???

I understand there is a receipe in "Fast & Easy" called Shake it and Bake it for chicken that gives you a substitute for breading. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 09:43

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Post Recipe from her latest book

Somersize Bake and Fry Mix

2 cups dehydrated onion, about 5 ounces
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves, crushed
1¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese

Put the dehydrated onion in the work bowl of a food processor. Process for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese and process for 30 second more. Add Parmesan and pulse to blend. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 weeks.

(This you can use to ‘bread’ any number of things. Chicken, shrimp, fish, pork chops, mozzarella. Dip whatever you desire to fry in beaten egg and then in this Bake and Fry Mix. YUMM.)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 17:46

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I don;t know much about somersizing or if this is ok, but i just made the most deeeelicious chicken breasts. Dipped in egg and then dredged in barbeque pork rind crumbs. Baked at 375 for 30 minutes-sooo good and soooo easy!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:02

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up Yes it looks perfect!

Thanks for the recipe dcbrowne. Shall try it out tonight I think.

MB
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 01:05

BF:
Unhappy What Am I Doing Wrong?

I HAVE GAINED TWO POUNDS IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS ON SOMERSIZING!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Here's some sample meals I've been eating. I have eliminated all sugar, flour, pasta, starchy veggies, and funky foods.

Breakfasts
spinach & egg bread recipie with ham or cheese
or
egg crepes with mushrooms

Lunches
chicken salad with mayo or oil, lemon juice and egg
or
grilled hamburgers with cheese and bacon and a side salad

Dinners
grilled steak with veggies
or
baked fish with veggies
or pork chops with veggies.

I'm drinking the water - 64 oz/day. Max 2 cups of half caff coffee with half & half or heavy cream and Splena or Equal in the morning. Ice tea instead of diet soda, I may have had three diet cokes a week, where I used to drink 4 or 5 a day (decaffinated).

So why am I gaining instead of losing????
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 10:32

BF:
Default Are you measuring?

It's a good idea to check not only your weight, but your measurements as well. Sometimes you'll go down in weight and sometimes inches and not always at the same time.

Have you changed the amount of exercise you do in addition to eating differently? If so it's possible you've gained muscle weight and lost fat at the same time but since muscle weighs more you've ended up with a net gain.

You haven't listed any snacks at all. Is everything you ate listed in your post? If so, you have been eating pretty much an Atkins induction diet and should be losing. You might post on the general topics forum and see if there are more suggestions for you there. Also, start a journal here and write in it what you eat each day. That makes it much easier to pinpoint what is going on.

Diana Schwarzbein talks about sometimes gaining a little weight as your body adjusts to a new WOE. I have not read her book, but I have often seen it quoted on this site when people gain in the very beginning.

I'm so sorry you're not seeing the results you want yet, but if I were you I'd stick to the way you have been eating and give the plan more time. Each of us has a different background coming into this WOE and that effects how we adjust to it. People who have yo yo dieted for years tend to take longer to lose weight on almost any plan, for example.

Hang in there!

MB
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 12:41

BF:
Default Thanks Donna!

Made the baked chicken in pork rinds and it was delish! Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch...

MB
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 23:13

BF:
Default Thanks for the encouragement!

Mamabeek:
My snacks have mostly been pepperoni or cheese. I think I've gone overboard on the cheese. I have been having it for snacks and been having a lot of snacks through the day. I usually try to include veggies, like celery with cream cheese. I figured out the pepperoni chips - microwave is best between paper towels. I also got the spinach bread recipie from the latest SS book, which is terrific, and have had a slice of that for a snack. Sometimes with a piece of cheese, sometimes melting cheese on the spinach bread.

I learned how to make the ice cream - Splenda, heavy cream, some flavored extracts and a little food coloring do wonders. I found instructions for making ice cream with Ziploc bags, ice and salt on the Low Carb Cafe. Just use a small bag with your ingredients and a large bag with ice and table salt, mix about 5 minutes, rinse off the inner bag, and toss in the freezer for an hour. Careful, the bags can split - the person who came up with that one is a genius. Now I know I will invest in an ice cream maker as a reward once I start losing some weight.

I had not heard about some people taking a little longer for the LC WOE to kick in, so hearing that you have seen others go throught it on the web does make me feel better - thanks for that!

I don't think I'm losing inches because my clothes feel tighter. I have not been excercising because I've had company, and I wanted to see the impact of the diet in the first two weeks or so. That may have also been a mistake Company leaves tomorrow, so its back to my workout tomorrow.

Is is possible to eat too much? Maybe I'm overeating because I can have so many tasty (i.e., with fat) things that I have not had in a while (cheese, beef, pork, cheese, pepperoni, cheese).

I was really missing bread a few days last week, but was able to avoid it. Does that get easier? Does this WOE become "normal" and start to feel like you are just eating what you like? Maybe as I integrate this into my usual life, and get over the novelty of BACON, I will eat smaller portions.

PS, the shake & bake is super - I'm going to leave out the red pepper next time, but I used it to fry Zucchini - works great!

Also tried grilled eggplant with olive oil, a little tomato sauce or some red bell pepper and some mozzarella - yum! You sure do cook a lot with LC! I never spend this much time in the kitchen! I'm not complaining - it actually feels great!

Again, thanks for the encouragement!

davinci
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 23:41

BF:
Unhappy Yes, I think you can eat too much!

One of the things that Suzanne mentions in her books is that some people overeat when they first start because they are so used to having restricted portions.

I went through exactly the same thing with cheese, but what stopped me was how constipated it made me! I was eating cheese "crackers" (nuked cheese slices until they were hard and lacey) string cheese, cheese on everything, cheese IN everything, cheese, cheese CHEESE!!! I love cheese. I still eat plenty but not quite like that. Then I went through a whipped cream phase where I ate that with every sweet snack all the time. I think those two things were responsible for my first plateau. Had I begun that way I probably would have gained instead of losing.

Yes, this WOE does get to be routine and because you can have whole grain breads and cereals and rice it's not so bad. I had a hard time with the no-fat thing on the breads (what the heck good is bread without butter or mayo or cheese?), but finally got used to it. The very low carb breads were a lifesaver too, so I could have bread to mop up my fried eggs once in a while!

Once you settle into what you are comfortable with I think you'll probably stop wanting to eat so much. Her recipes are incredibly good, aren't they? It's no wonder we overeat sometimes! I have to try the spinach bread; you make it sound so good! I'd seen it in her book but hadn't gotten around to trying it. I loved the shake and bake and the tater tots were awesome, but my DH is not supposed to have onions (acid reflux problems), so I had to let those recipes go.

Sometimes all the cooking does get tiring, but I'm starting to slide into a "menu" of favorites so I don't have to think so much about how to make the stuff or what to shop for. I can't remember ever cooking this much without burning out on it though. I think the positive reinforcement of the food being so GOOD keeps me in that apron!

I love reading your posts because you talk about what you've cooked. I always like trying new things and sometimes I need a reminder to go back and try more stuff out of my recipe books. This WOE is definitely NOT boring, no matter how it works for you.

MB