Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:18

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph622
. . . . our diet sodas at Kroger, in fact, it's the Kroger brand. Those are substantially less expensive than the Name brand sodas. But, after monitoring my blood sugar (I have diabetes), I'm having to ask around whether anyone else has noticed that, even when they've been "good", for whatever reason, they get up the next day and maybe their blood sugar isn't hauntingly high, but it's higher than it should be for first thing in the morning, especially if you had a practically carb-free meal . . . . Thanks for any ideas you might share with me about this.

You did not state what "low carb" or "no carb" sweetener the Kroger diet sodas contain. In recent times it seems that almost every diet soda I can find has gone to exclusively using aspartame as its sweetining component. That has been reported to cause stalls on LC for years, but I don't know about raised glucose levels.

Personally, I won't touch it for other health reasons. Aspertame has been strongly indicated in numerous reports of neurological and behavorial problems with its use as well as in several animal studies. It is amazing to me that wiith all the adverse reports it has not been restricted as a food additive.

I have taken to using "senior lemonaid" instead of diet soda because of the aspertame. A small bit of lemon juice in a glass with sweet n low or stevia sweetener and fill with water and ice. YMMV

Last edited by chuck41 : Fri, May-24-13 at 09:24.
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 13:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I find that eating too much protein raises my blood sugar. I've been consciously cutting back and my fasting blood glucose has dropped 15-20 points. I'm trying to keep it around 60g a day right now.

Quote:
I'm all for truth in advertising, and I'm not trying to imply anything here; rather, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience I have. You've been careful about your carbs, you're watching what you eat, and you're therefore having to draw a conclusion about a past-preferred diet soda. With the prices of diet drinks soaring, my husband and I have determined to purchase our diet sodas at Kroger, in fact, it's the Kroger brand. Those are substantially less expensive than the Name brand sodas. But, after monitoring my blood sugar (I have diabetes), I'm having to ask around whether anyone else has noticed that, even when they've been "good", for whatever reason, they get up the next day and maybe their blood sugar isn't hauntingly high, but it's higher than it should be for first thing in the morning, especially if you had a practically carb-free meal the evening before (the only carbs were two sliced tomatoes and one thin slice of white onion). And if you didn't eat anything after dinner, and the only thing you had was a Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda. I'm not trying to hurl accusations here. I'm just wondering if anybody else has tested a bit high after drinking the Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda. My first-thing-in-the-morning number today was 172--that's WAY too high for someone who's had what I believe I've had to eat and drink. No, there were no extra crackers--in fact, there weren't any crackers at all. No chips, no milk, no fruit. My husband suggested that the sure way to tell would be for me to cut out the Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda and to have water instead. Thanks for any ideas you might share with me about this.
  #258   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 14:23
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I'm all for truth in advertising, and I'm not trying to imply anything here; rather, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience I have. You've been careful about your carbs, you're watching what you eat, and you're therefore having to draw a conclusion about a past-preferred diet soda. With the prices of diet drinks soaring, my husband and I have determined to purchase our diet sodas at Kroger, in fact, it's the Kroger brand. Those are substantially less expensive than the Name brand sodas. But, after monitoring my blood sugar (I have diabetes), I'm having to ask around whether anyone else has noticed that, even when they've been "good", for whatever reason, they get up the next day and maybe their blood sugar isn't hauntingly high, but it's higher than it should be for first thing in the morning, especially if you had a practically carb-free meal the evening before (the only carbs were two sliced tomatoes and one thin slice of white onion). And if you didn't eat anything after dinner, and the only thing you had was a Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda. I'm not trying to hurl accusations here. I'm just wondering if anybody else has tested a bit high after drinking the Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda. My first-thing-in-the-morning number today was 172--that's WAY too high for someone who's had what I believe I've had to eat and drink. No, there were no extra crackers--in fact, there weren't any crackers at all. No chips, no milk, no fruit. My husband suggested that the sure way to tell would be for me to cut out the Kroger brand diet caffeine-free soda and to have water instead. Thanks for any ideas you might share with me about this.

I'm also a typeII, and I also try to avoid aspertame, which is undoubtedly in a store-brand diet soda. My first choice is Zevia, (stevia-sweetened) but I have to order that online, as no stores near me carry it. If I want to purchase soda in a regular store, I choose Diet Rite, which is at least caffeine free and splenda sweetened.

Here's an interesting article from Dr Mercola about how aspartame can raise blood sugars
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n-diabetes.aspx
Quote:
Story at-a-glance
  • A new study showed that two additives often put in everyday foods to enhance flavor (Monosodium Glutamate or MSG) and reduce calories (Aspartame) can actually cause an increase in fasting blood glucose levels
  • Aspartame alone can cause an increase in fasting blood glucose levels and reduced insulin sensitivity, but when combined with MSG they caused an elevation in both weight and fasting glucose levels
  • Aspartame and MSG are not only both excitotoxins, which can lead to neurological damage, but they interfere with the release of insulin and leptin, which are hormones intricately involved with satiety and fat storage
  • In order to prevent, and reverse, type 2 diabetes, eliminate not only sugar and grains, but also artificially sweetened, MSG-“enhanced” diet foods from your diet, in favor of real, whole foods

Also, Nancy makes another good point - you don't state how much protein you are eating, but beyond your protein requirements, it is converted to glucose and can raise blood sugar/stall weight loss. There's a few online calculators around to help you determine your protein needs.. Jenny Ruhl's is my favorite for diabetics
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058429.php
Then a little food tracking like in fitday.com will help you determine how well you're hitting your targets.

Oh, and you may be caffeine sensitive as well. Dr Bernstein writes in his book that caffeine may raise blood sugars for some diabetics. You did say caffeine-free soda though, but just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by MizKitty : Fri, May-24-13 at 15:57.
  #259   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck41
You did not state what "low carb" or "no carb" sweetener the Kroger diet sodas contain. In recent times it seems that almost every diet soda I can find has gone to exclusively using aspartame as its sweetining component. That has been reported to cause stalls on LC for years, but I don't know about raised glucose levels.

Personally, I won't touch it for other health reasons. Aspertame has been strongly indicated in numerous reports of neurological and behavorial problems with its use as well as in several animal studies. It is amazing to me that wiith all the adverse reports it has not been restricted as a food additive.

I have taken to using "senior lemonaid" instead of diet soda because of the aspertame. A small bit of lemon juice in a glass with sweet n low or stevia sweetener and fill with water and ice. YMMV

Lemonaid, that I make here, Iced tea...again I make it...or water is about all I drink now. Occasionally I will buy an unsweetened iced tea when out as long as it is real brewed tea..but mostly I drink water.

Stevia or organic (ALWAYS organic) honey are the only sweeteners I use and they are used VERY sparingly!Most folks do not like my lemonade as tart as I make it!

I used to drink diet soda, a lot...but I would get this weird, I dunno, tight feeling in my lower rear back (kidneys) it was the same type of feeling I get when I was about to have a kidney stone episode! I have been diet soda free for over a month now and have not once had that feeling when I used to have it almost all the time! And if I drank too much diet soda and too little water it got worse!

I also had issues with horrible after taste and dry mouth when drinking diet soda, or crystal light for that matter. Soooo, all the "diet" and "no sugar added" items are pretty much off my list! It is a slow process weeding them out but as I find them, poof! They are gone!
  #260   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/101/110 Female 5 2
BF:
Progress: 130%

Love Quest bars!
  #261   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-15, 13:19

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

What Happen to this topic. I will start it back.

I love Quest Bars also. had the cookies n cream through out the day.
  #262   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-15, 07:58

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I think that over time most of us in this for the life-long haul realize we do better with real food and less "products." Having said that, sometimes conveniences are necessary in the real world.

I keep a few Quest Bars on hand for times when I've worked many days Ina row and I'm running low on real food to take to work. I also keep Quest Chips in the pantry since they are handy for road trip snacks.
  #263   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 15:43

Plan: LCHF & Paleo
Stats: 170/150/140 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Anything containing gluten or sugar!!

There are so many "low carb " products out there which contain blood sugar raising ingredients such as gluten and sugar. This is not low carb to me. Same with artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose and maltitol. I avoid these as much as I can! Low carb for me also means healthy and nutritious.
  #264   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 12:32

Plan: Slow Carb
Stats: 110/110/125 Female 5"0'
BF:26%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi
I think we should start compiling a list of "low carb" products that contain hydrogenated oils, and should be avoided all together. Especially for those who are less informed, and automatically assume a product labeled as LC will be healthy, so, pitch in and list any products you know belong to the list:

1. Special K LC cereal - contains partially hydrogenated oils
2. AdvantEDGE Morning Bars - contains partially hydrogenated oils

AVOID Both!

Add to the list

I like to try and make my own LC snacks which are generally cheaper and healthier. As much as I love them, I Don’t eat pretzels, chips, or microwave popcorn. Unfortunately snack foods are rewarding, but they increase my appetite and are addictive.