Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 02:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/155
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default stall, stall and stall

Help!!!!!!
I started on Atkins March 1st. Lost 14 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then it started to get tough. I lose 2-3 pounds,gain 2 pounds and it goes on for 4 weeks. Then I go down a little bit and it starts all over again.
My normal daily intake is about 12-15 carbs and around 1250 calories. I tried L-Carnatine etc. and it does not go down.
It is so frustrating to see my weight go up without any reason.
I do not want to take any Xenadrine or whatever, because I react really strong on any kind of medicine.
What can I do to get my weight down instead of up and down.

andreah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 03:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Andreah,

Actually, low carbing isn't a quick loss diet for most people.

Most of us can expect to lose 10% of the weight we wish to lose during Induction, followed by 5% per month after that. So I think you are pretty much on course. In fact, 16 pounds in 11 weeks sounds pretty good to me!

LC weight loss happens in fits and starts. A true stall means no loss of pounds or inches for 4 weeks. Have you measured yourself? Maybe you've lost some inches as well as pounds.

Maybe the advice on this site about plateaus and whooshes may help.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 04:25

Stats: 160/137/125
BF:
Progress: 66%

Well thats what I don't understand about the stall. I work out 5 to 6 times a week. 40 minutes of vigorus cardio and 40 min on low weights for toning and 3 times a week a brisk walk at night for about 50 min. Shouldn't I be losing at least a 1/2 a pound a week? I gave up on this diet for 5 days because I got so frustrated. Then I kept reading online and found out its normal to stall. I still think I should be losing weekly and not stalling due to activity. Well my brain says that and my body says no no no! Still just the same I won't give up this time. I'm eating good. I'm not craving sugar (which is great) and I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. And the glory of it all is Im not GAINING!!!!!! But why can't I lose just a tinsey OUNCE after all my hard work!!!

Laurie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 06:49

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Have you changed anything since your successful weight loss period?
More stress, medication of some kind?
Otherwise, your body may be getting used to your workout and diet. If you are doing cardio, switch machines, or better yet - run and try to increase your speed daily and increase your cardio to 60 min from 40 gradually if you have to.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:26

BF:

Well, I'm not much of a runner. Even in school I use to skip gym just to avoid running. I've been at the gym since March and I change routines quite often. But, I'll try to up a level or so on my cardio and see how that goes.

Thanks for your advice

Laurie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:50

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Treadmill

I too used to 'cut corners' at practice in school and walk during runs in gym
I was a rebel !
I also stayed away from the treadmill for 2 years of my 80 a month gym fee.
Then one of my coworkers finally lost that last 10 lbs on the treadmill. We were both cardio 'queens' and I knew that we did the same levels at the other machines so I relented and one day walked over and got on the thing.
Well, lucky for me I had cardio conditioning but I realized that with that conditioning that jogging -NOT running was a cinch ! Before too long I began to jog faster-never have I run
But let me tell ya, the pounds FELL OFF. It was like a sudden miracle ! So get the courage up and go for a trot ! Or do what the others [many of them almost too skinny] at the gym do and walk at an incline. The ability to change speed and incline make the treadmill the perfect metabolic challenge machine ! If you have access to one, it may be the dream machine for you that it was for me.
Good luck, I know YOU CAN DO IT
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:41

BF:
Talking

Well aren't you very inspiring I did just a couple weeks ago get on the treadmill and all of a sudden I felt as if I could jog..I went up to 5.4 and either pooped out or got nervous and stopped at about 40 seconds later...it did feel so good though and then I did it again and then I NEVER did it again I kind of got into the Stairmaster and stopped walking the treadmill except for warmup. So, I'll tell you what, I'll get on the treadmill tomorrow and try again..and if the pounds don't FALL OFF like you said, I'm jogging right over to your house LOL

Thanks for the little tip and you will see me yahooing if it starts working.

Take care,
Laurie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:47
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Sounds to me like you are not eating near enough for your body weight so your body maybe holding onto you your fat because it thinks you are starving it.

Another thing is the carbs are so low. Are you eating your mandatory 2-3 cups of veggies daily.

You need this natural fiber to help flush that weight away.

Rosebud is right - you need to realize this is a slow and healthy process when done right.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 11:41

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%
Default Re: stall, stall and stall

Quote:
Originally posted by andreah
Help!!!!!!
I started on Atkins March 1st. Lost 14 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then it started to get tough. I lose 2-3 pounds,gain 2 pounds and it goes on for 4 weeks. Then I go down a little bit and it starts all over again.
My normal daily intake is about 12-15 carbs and around 1250 calories. I tried L-Carnatine etc. and it does not go down.
It is so frustrating to see my weight go up without any reason.
I do not want to take any Xenadrine or whatever, because I react really strong on any kind of medicine.
What can I do to get my weight down instead of up and down.

andreah

Hi!

the same exact thing started with me. I would fluctuate the same 4lbs for the entire week. So you know what I started doing? Using Fitday and looking at the reports (you can see a downward trend even though there is a rollercoaster effect)...and also weighing every morning and then averaging out the week, then subtracting the average from last week's average. It still showed at least 1.5lbs loss per week. Which seems like a bit of a disappointment in comparison to the 3-4lbs per week I was losing when I started...

But the body can't lose weight at that rate for too long before it either stops to take a breather or slows down. In fact, it's healthier and there have been studies that show the slower it takes a person to lose the last weight, the more likely they are to keep it off! Which is more important than losing it, if you ask me.

I did Hydroxycut for about a week, that seemed to speed things up a bit... but it slowed right back down. I'm just accepting the fact that things will be slower from here on out. Probably partly because I only have about 15 lbs until my goal weight.

Also remember if the weight you are currently at was one you were at for a long period of time in life. My body was this weight for over a year and I'm having a hard time getting it to let go!

Good luck!

= Meagan
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 11:44

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunswept
Well thats what I don't understand about the stall. I work out 5 to 6 times a week. 40 minutes of vigorus cardio and 40 min on low weights for toning and 3 times a week a brisk walk at night for about 50 min. Shouldn't I be losing at least a 1/2 a pound a week? I gave up on this diet for 5 days because I got so frustrated. Then I kept reading online and found out its normal to stall. I still think I should be losing weekly and not stalling due to activity. Well my brain says that and my body says no no no! Still just the same I won't give up this time. I'm eating good. I'm not craving sugar (which is great) and I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. And the glory of it all is Im not GAINING!!!!!! But why can't I lose just a tinsey OUNCE after all my hard work!!!

Laurie

Also... you mentioned you were eating 12-15g carbs per day? This may sound totally nuts, but add on another 5g and you may just see that sucker budge. Sometimes we get too less carbs and it slows us down.

Hey, throw us up an example menu of a typical day for you.

= Meagan
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 22:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/155
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Re: stall, stall and stall

Quote:
Originally posted by tekunoroji
Hi!

the same exact thing started with me. I would fluctuate the same 4lbs for the entire week. So you know what I started doing? Using Fitday and looking at the reports (you can see a downward trend even though there is a rollercoaster effect)...and also weighing every morning and then averaging out the week, then subtracting the average from last week's average. It still showed at least 1.5lbs loss per week. Which seems like a bit of a disappointment in comparison to the 3-4lbs per week I was losing when I started...

But the body can't lose weight at that rate for too long before it either stops to take a breather or slows down. In fact, it's healthier and there have been studies that show the slower it takes a person to lose the last weight, the more likely they are to keep it off! Which is more important than losing it, if you ask me.

I did Hydroxycut for about a week, that seemed to speed things up a bit... but it slowed right back down. I'm just accepting the fact that things will be slower from here on out. Probably partly because I only have about 15 lbs until my goal weight.

Also remember if the weight you are currently at was one you were at for a long period of time in life. My body was this weight for over a year and I'm having a hard time getting it to let go!

Good luck!

= Meagan
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:26

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello

first of all ... let me say... wow... reading many of your posts on this tread... well they could have been writen by me...!!

I lost 15lbs in the first 6 weeks... and then nothing ever since... been in stall for... hmmm around 10 weeks...

I am currently doing the Egg fast (on day two)... but there was a point made ... that really was a moment for me...

It was the bit about your body not wanting to pass the weight you spent some much life time at....

If I think about it.. the weight I'm at now... is one that my body seems to like.. when I'm not careful... it was only after my back injury that I put on the extra 15lbs..

In fact... the time before .. when I did an exercise/diet program.. I was at this weight... give or take a pound... so this really got me thinking...

I had once heard... that a body "likes" a certain weight.. so you are constantly having to off set that... like having a fight with yourself... LOL

Well anyways... very interesting thread... thanx Shell