Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 12:31

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Health Conditions Improved by LC/Keto- Our Own Anecdotal Evidence

While nay-sayers like to discount anecdotal reports of keto benefits, I think the forum members can attest to many health improvements, even reversals of diagnosed conditions.

Here’s my list:

No longer suffer from:
Sleep apnea
Depression, lethargy, brain fog
Reactive hypoglycemia/unstable blood sugar
Morbid obesity

Greatly improved:
Osteoarthritis- no longer require prescription Celebrex

Anyone else care to “weigh” in?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 14:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I used to suffer from many annoying conditions and some very painful. I can remember when my fingers burned. They don't now, but if I eat sugar for an extended period of time, they will burn again I'm sure.

Sleep apnea: I may still have a bit. I'll wear my Fitbit tonight and see how I sleep.

GERD: If I were to eat spicy foods late at night, I'm not sure whether I'd still suffer.

I was first diagnosed "borderline diabetic" when I was 20 years old. Eating LCHF (since 1972) has kept me from ever going there.

I don't take prescription drugs except for my one elective HRT.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

No more stomachaches for me!
Used to have frequent headaches. I get fewer of them now.
I sleep really well now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 17:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
While nay-sayers like to discount anecdotal reports of keto benefits, I think the forum members can attest to many health improvements, even reversals of diagnosed conditions.

Here’s my list:

No longer suffer from:
Sleep apnea
Depression, lethargy, brain fog
Reactive hypoglycemia/unstable blood sugar
Morbid obesity

Greatly improved:
Osteoarthritis- no longer require prescription Celebrex

Anyone else care to “weigh” in?

Dancin Girl, I've never looked at your stats before, you've done amazing things!!
So Happy for you!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Apr-23-19 at 17:25.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 19:59

BF:

Thanks, Meme!

It has been an ongoing struggle. This forum helps so much, with information and encouragement. Appreciation of how much better I feel is much more motivating for me than a lower number on the scale or smaller sizes of clothes, not that those aren't nice, too.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 21:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Not my own anecdote, but I am the president of a local art guild. We have a new member who joined a few months ago - a woman about my own age (60s), very attractive, very slender, very chic. We were both at an art critique this morning and somehow the conversation led to her saying she had been to visit her mother the other day, who is in her early 90s and lives in assisted living due to the onset of Alzheimer’s.

So this woman went on to say that because of her mom she had done a lot of research and implemented changes in her life to keep her from getting Alzheimer’s herself. Naturally I was curious (my own mom died from Alzheimer’s) and I asked her what changes she had made.

And she replied that it was intermittent fasting and following a keto diet! That she did a 16:8 fast just about every day with an occasional 24-hour fast, and had kept her carbs at under 20g a day. How amazing to meet a Fellow Traveler in real life! I had no idea.

Anyway she said she started in January 2018 and has since lost 62 pounds. She is quite short so 62 pounds would have been a lot. Plus she said she suffered for years from severe IBS symptoms which all totally vanished when she went on IF and Keto. Also her knees had caused her such pain she’d contemplated knee replacement surgery, but since going IF/keto her knee pain totally vanished.

She does eat a somewhat higher carb allotment now as she has gotten so skinny she doesn’t want to lose any more weight but does keep up the fasting routine. She gives me hope. 😀
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-19, 13:49

BF:

It is helpful and motivating to hear about these health improvements. Two men at my job had been diagnosed with diabetes, they both started Keto diets, both now have reversed their diabetes and they avoided ever having to go on medications. Their doctors are impressed, and tell them to keep doing what they are doing.

One guy even reports improved eyesight. After about 6 months on Keto, he decided his eyeglass prescription needed updating. His eye doctor confirmed his vision was better. He asked her if Keto could have something to do with it. She said absolutely, that insulin resistance was a big factor in eye health, and she encouraged him to Keto On!