Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:27

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Post Keen for more maintenance support ! AND Where do all the maintainers go?

Hi all,

I have reached maintenance once and now that I am nearly reached my new goal I am almost at it again. If I set a new one after this it will be related to body fat percentage rather than weight.

I am keen to connect with others who are close to or have achieved maintenance. I think this is an important stage particularly as it is one to keep for life.

As far as I can see many who achieve goal disappear after posting less and less. It is sad as I feel many could benefit from sharing in this process.

I have noticed with me that I am less interested in the forum these days and I have noticed that I manage really well with my eating if I stay away from the journals of those who cheat quite frequently (and many on this forum seem to do that! ). Maybe that is why the maintainers end up going too. I would be interested in other peoples perspectives on this phenomenon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:58

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

I have been on maintenance since the end of April, and I think there are a number of reasons that the "maintainers" tend to disappear:

1. Maintenance is not very exciting. The "Cinderella" part of the story is over and now it is the "happily ever after" part. Tolstoy said "All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Unfortunately, the unhappy ones are also the more interesting.

2. Maintenance tends to be rather individualized. After low carbing since December, I have found what works for me, but I tend to have less and less faith that my personal experience is helpful to anyone else. My diet is affected by my own food preferences, metabolism, exercise level, lifestyle, age, etc.

3. Burnout. After you hang around these boards for a while, you feel like you are reading the same posts over and over: "I am soooo excited to start this diet.....", "I lost 8 pounds during Induction but since then I haven't lost anything.....", "I haven't read the book yet -- are Cheerios allowed on Induction?", "Last night I intended to have just a few potato chips, but then before I knew it....", "I lost 50 pounds on Atkins 2 years ago, but then I went back to my old way of eating and gained it all back, plus 30 pounds more..." It all gets rather discouraging.

4. And that last example brings up another unfortunate possiblity -- that the "maintainers" disappear because they are failing to "maintain."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 00:18

Hi Downscale,

You have brought up some excellent points in your discussion. I have felt a little sad that maybe some people disappear because they are no longer maintaining. I do hope the reason they go is not always because of that.

I could understand that your point with the boredom factor could be a strong element as I have been finding that relevant to me the more time I have spent on these boards. It can be very frustrating at times. This is why I try to stick to those journals that are moving ahead or at least generally positive in outlook.

I can see your point in the individual factors and I suppose they could be more pertinent when it comes to maintenance. I do imagine though there are some commonalities or at least overlaps were we could learn from others.

Your first point is one I had not considered. 'Tis sad eh, as maintenance to me is possibly more important than say induction, 'cos it's something I am going to do for life not just a few weeks or months.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective on this topic.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 04:43

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi there, it,s a pity that those who have reached their goal weight tend to dissapear as i think maintaining the weightloss is the hardest as it goes on forever. i came to the boards after i,d been at my goal weight for over 2 years but as i am diabetic it,s important i eat l-c forever.
the maintainers have still got a lot to offer new starters as they,re the ones whohave-done that, bought the t-shirt,so to speak.
i do agree that boredom is a factor as it,s not as exciting as losing weight ,maybe thats why some people sabbotarge themselves, so that they can get the thrill of dieting all over again.we just have to find a way to keep interested-maybe an exercise goal or new hobby?
hopefully we can help each other to maintain this way of life.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 05:24

Hi Pepsi Max,

Congratulations on achieving and maintaining your goal weight for 2 years.

I noticed that I got to my first goal weight (which is what I was before my weight went up) fairly smoothly after I discovered low carb. After maintaining for a while I then decided to go 5 kilos lower and this has been much harder to achieve as I have tended to sabotage myself as I get closer to goal. I, however, am sick of doing that to myself so I imagine the last little bit will come off much easier now.

I am very keen to spend the energy that I have put into this weight loss into maintaining, and yes, of course, other interests too! I think making new goals are important and once I have achieved my body fat percentage goal I intend to make other challenges in my life eg increase fitness levels even more, be a good public speaker, get some horse riding lessons, manage stress better, etc.

I hope I am not one of the people that ends up leaving the boards once I have "got there" so to say. I would like to put back what I have got from learning from others experiences too!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 18:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi! I hear you - this forum seems quiet. But there are a lot of maintainers here, if you include everyone who's within 20 lbs of their goal weight, and are taking the long, slow ride. I see many around the forum.

I like to think that by the time people are in maintenance, they don't need daily support anymore - it's truely a WOL. I stick around mainly because it's become a political issue for me. I'm really angry at the food and medical industries, and if I can help a few people over onto this side of the fence, I will.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:24

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Trish,

This threads reminds me of an old adage, that "getting there is half the fun." More often than not, the journey is every bit as endearing to us as our final destination. As per the Oscar Wilde adage, "There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."

For those of us who have both reached and maintained for a while, there is no longer a need to seek answers to our questions. Moreover, once a state objective is realized, it no longer holds a place on our list of goals we deem imperative which naturally dictates we divert our attentions and efforts to "new" or "unrealized" objectives.

And finally, the novelty of starting something new wears thin with our ultimately reaching our goals bringing closure to this aspect of our lives--losing weight. For most of us who have been on here for a while, we've experienced the highs, lows, ups and downs of just about every facet of losing weight on this eating regimen; and, on top of that, I'm sure we've answered, asked, then answered again just about every qeustion and concern imaginable. Personally, these days, I read many questions I've already responded to in threads in the past. In each progressive response, I feel less motivation to respond again.

So, in my view, it only seems natural that most once having reached goal would come here less. How often would one come when he/she has neither questions, concerns, nor any need to lose weight, right? I suppose, he/she will come when there isn't anything else more pressing, which I'd imagine would be a countless plethora of things since weight loss is no longer a concern for those of us who are in Maintenance.

Regardless, I do feel an affinity for both this forum and those here since it has been invaluable for me especially during those Induction days when this eating regimen appeared so daunting and ominous. I'd like to that I'll visit here when I have some time, and post whenever I can.

Regards,

Frederick
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I am a lurker here. I am want to weigh in between 135- 139. This morning I was at 138!! I haven't posted here due to I haven't been able to read anything past owl!! The problem I have is, I am lazy and I have gotten out of the habit of counting my carbs. True confession here. Do other maintainers not count carbs?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:37

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

no, i don,t count carbs now but i did for a long time so know pretty much how many i,m eating.i still watch the scales religiously.keep carbs between 30 and 50.

christine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:28

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm so glad to see this thread! I was also a little bummed that there isn't more activity in the maintenance thread.

I was wondering if part of the reason why maintainers don't post so much is that maintenance is so much more flexible. Because in the early stages, if you have a question, more often than not there is one correct answer. (or at least, a few fairly well-established answers.) But at this point things are so much more open-ended. Is X food okay? How many carbs should I eat? In maintenance it's totally up to the individual. Frederick is still losing weight at carb levels that would be outrageously high for me. While on the other hand, I bet there are people out there maintaining at near-induction levels.

Anyway, I hope we see a little more activity here, it would be really nice to chat with other maintainers about the different issues & concerns of maintenance vs. weight loss.

By the way I am under my goal but starting to think I set my goal too high. Not trying to lose weight through diet anymore, but hoping to become more fit and lose another dress size or so through exercise.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:06
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've been maintaining for two months now.
During this time, my weight has varied above and below goal by a pound, but seems to always retreat back to my goal weight.

I don't count carbs, but except for special dinners out or special occasions, I still never eat white rice, bread, potatoes or things made of flour. And on those occasions, I limit the white stuff to small tastes.

I put no limits at all on the amount of vegetables that I eat as long as they are the typical acceptable low-carb ones such as broccoli, zucchini, salad greens etc.

I snack on macadamias and almonds several times a day.

I have half a piece of German fitness bread with melted cheese for breakfast daily.

I've been eating cherries and blueberries in fair quantity daily too.

At this point, I know what is big carb and what isn't. And I also know pretty much what works for me. So my need for ideas and support is much diminished. I think that this is the reason why the maintenence forum has sparse participation. At least I HOPE that's why, and not because most people fall off the wagon.

I am really surprised to find out that eating this way still feels right, even after the diet is "over" (because as a WOL, it's never over!). I would have thought that I would conveniently forget about the rules, as I always have with other healthy lifestyle changes in the past.

I'd like to hear about the routines that other maintainers have fallen into that work for them.

Last edited by vickiel : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 07:13.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins Diet
Stats: 130/122/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Maintenance

I am now at 114. My goal is 110. Everything is going great. I don't crave carbs at all. No chips, no yogurt (though I used to love it), no pasta, no bread, no junk food, no pie, cake, cookies, candy, no POP, no cereal. Now once in a blue moon might be ok in moderation but not on a regular basis.
I love mexican food but have sustained from refried beans, rice, and tortillas since I started this June 1. The other night, we went out to our favorite mexican restaurant. I had a beef taco salad (minus the shell), 5 tortilla chips, and a strawberry marguerita. No weight gain the next day. I find that now I can eat something I like once in a week or two and in moderation, it will not affect my weight.
I don't find this diet boring at all. I am used to monitoring how much I eat and what I eat and it comes naturally to me now. I can fix my family's favorite foods and something for me too. I eat plenty of fresh fruit-no juice!
To the person who wants to eat Cheerios-NO NO NO. Read the carbs. Slip up once and you will keep doing it. I am doing this for my health. I have a family and grandchildren, besides being an organ donor. I want to be in the best health I can be for all those reasons. If you don't have a good reason to be on this diet then forget it. You won't make it.
To everyone out there that is struggling to keep on track, make a list of good reasons you are doing this. Post it on the fridge in big letters. It will help you.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 16:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Speaking only from my own section of the low-carb page, I found that once I was maintaining, that I had less and less in common with the majority of bb members. I acted as a board mentor for a while - but time constraints eventually got the better of me and I withdrew from that role formally.

The second thing was that as a maintainer, a person often has evolved into their own LC plan, and are more likely to offer advise that isn't "by the book"; forgetting that those who are just beginning don't necessarily benefit from advice like "Don't worry, I cheated and I still lost. This isn't rocket science." It's much better that they hear from the energized "OWLs" saying things like "WHAT? OK forgive yourself and GET BACK on TRACK!"

Meanwhile - I'm still at my goal weight - my 4 year anniversary (from starting LC) is in February and I look and feel great. I eat whatever I want (NOT how MUCH I want), keeping my carbs under control and EXPECIALLY watching portion sizes.

Keeping the carbs under control has helped with things like cravings and digestive eruptions and water retention. However CALORIE control in the form of portion sizes is what has kept my weight where it is.

I don't count anything, I don't have to, it's now second nature. I continue to stay away from processsed foods, which has been easy since I never like them. I drink water not soft drinks and I don't eat the bars and other such nonsense.

I celebrate the big 45 this weekend and all is well with the world.

Last edited by LC Sponge : Thu, Sep-11-03 at 16:18.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 19:25

Happy birthday for this weekend LC Sponge. You sound like you are doing so well with your eating plan.

I can relate to what both you and Fred say regarding the LC journey, maintaining and this board. I know I haven't been visiting much myself these past few months. I am pretty busy with my other life these days and food/weight loss is just not such a priority!

Sarah I am also wanting to concentrate more on exercise to tone up. I am almost at goal weight but I am still a bit flabby around the middle.

This weight thing sometimes is a mystery. I have had some friends say to me that I look great and not to lose anymore as I am slim enough. Others reckon I could do with putting on a few more kilos!!! Well at least no one has said I look overweight!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 05:16

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

The great thing about being "near goal weight" is that now with exericse you are really "sculpting" what's left and shouldn't think of it as losing anymore. When you think of it like that, it broadens the perspective, I find. Helping with the mental transition from losing to not losing.

I have a theory about yoyo dieting, in that people regain the weight because of the satisfaction that comes with losing. It's like a rollercoaster ride, you have to know when to GET OFF and be OK with not riding it anymore.

The same with that "last 10 pounds" - if we really lose it, then the fun's all over. So we hang onto that "last 10" for dear life. It's comfort.