Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 16:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/172/154 Male 185
BF:
Progress:
Default Tea w/ milk (on Atkins induction...)

Hi all - well I have started the Atkins induction and there is no milk allowed on the induction... I usually drink quite a lot of tea during the day and use UHT milk - usually 3-4 (I like it milky).

Does anyone know the carb count of UHT milk? I don't know if I can give tea up (as I have already given my morning coffee from the cafe up!) and it helps me get through the day... I have already vowed to start on Rooibos tea as of tomorrow which is caffeine-free, caffeine apparently being another induction no-no...

I suppose otherwise, how do fellow low-carbers cope with this??

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 18:46

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Hi - I'm not in the UK and don't know what UHT milk is (or it's carb count) but maybe you can use cream instead? That's what I use when I drink tea here (have to admit, tea has grown on me a LOT lately).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 11:42

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Does the pack not have the carb count on it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 11:43

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have never drank milk or liked it in tea and coffee but for cooking recipes I usually mix double cream with water to make it a milky consistency.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 12:09

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

UHT means ultra heat treatment. It's a method used in the Uk for partial sterilisation of certains foods.

Milk contains 5g carbs/100 ml.

You could either use soya milk which only has 0.8 g/ 100ml.

A dash of cream wouldn't have a lot of carbs but if you go over the 2/3 tbs per day it can really stall weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 11:10

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I've noticed that lactose free milk only has half of the carbs of 'normal' milk. It tastes the same so it might be an idea for you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 02:18

Stats: 172/172/154 Male 185
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have taken to using double cream. The taste is nice and only 1.6g of carb per 100ml
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know osmething....If you give up milk,it seems like an impossibility at first but stick it out for a good few days then you may never have the need again.

I ddint think I could give it up but found out i was having a pint of milk a day as i drink lots of tea and have started drinking this organic white tea, its nice, get it from all the major supermarkets
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-10, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:

You know something....If you give up milk,it seems like an impossibility at first but stick it out for a good few days then you may never have the need again.

I ddint think I could give it up but found out i was having a pint of milk a day as i drink lots of tea and have started drinking this organic white tea, its nice, get it from all the major supermarkets
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 20:42

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Hi - I'm not in the UK and don't know what UHT milk is (or it's carb count) but maybe you can use cream instead? That's what I use when I drink tea here (have to admit, tea has grown on me a LOT lately).

I'm not a big Tea drinker... but when I am low carbing I seem to really 'crave it'! Rather then having milk, I tried cream and love it! I actually prefer it instead of milk in my Tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
A dash of cream wouldn't have a lot of carbs but if you go over the 2/3 tbs per day it can really stall weight loss.

I didn't know that? I'm probably missing something I should really know . Perhaps I've been being greedy with my cream then, I tend to put about 2-3 table spoons per cup of tea! (max cups of tea per day is no more than 2, and not every day either, maybe 3 days a week).

I use this one from Tescos: Tesco Fresh Single Cream
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 06:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008

I didn't know that? I'm probably missing something I should really know . Perhaps I've been being greedy with my cream then, I tend to put about 2-3 table spoons per cup of tea! (max cups of tea per day is no more than 2, and not every day either, maybe 3 days a week).

I use this one from Tescos: Tesco Fresh Single Cream

Double cream has less carbs than single cream. You only need a spoon for a cup of coffee and even less for tea.

It can cause stalls and indeed it is the case for my-self.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 03:21
Registered Member

BF:

And there was me saying I have given up milk.... I have allowed it back in to my daily life but in moderation.

It just taste pants without it!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 06:05

Stats: 175/141/135 Female 5'3
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 85%

I have been drinking Roobois tea for a couple of years now and the ones I look for are the "Vanilla Roobois" and the "Caramel Orange Roobois" I don't even put a drop of cream in them because they taste so good on thier own you don't need it. If you can get the flavored ones I reccomend you try them.. without the cream first and see how you like them. Of course if you feel you are in need of a little something then a bit of splenda and a little cream can also make these tea's a terrific evening treat
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 07:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

I often use unsweetened coconut milk in tea and coffee. I sometimes do a 1/2 coconut mixture, 1/2 heavy cream. I have to watch the dairy though, as I suspect it was stalling me.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 07:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland
I often use unsweetened coconut milk in tea and coffee. I sometimes do a 1/2 coconut mixture, 1/2 heavy cream. I have to watch the dairy though, as I suspect it was stalling me.

I also like coconut milk with expresso coffee. I often add a few drops of vanilla or hazelnut extract too.