Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-23, 07:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The latest weapon against cancer is … a keto diet?

Quote:
The latest weapon against cancer is … a keto diet?

Dietitians say a keto diet could help you lose up to 10% of your body weight. These high-fat, low-carb meal plans trick the body into burning its own fat. They could also help fight a variety of cancers by starving tumors of the glucose they need to grow. On the surface, this seems ideal. But research suggests these diets may have a deadly, unintended side effect for cancer patients.

In mice with pancreatic and colorectal cancer, keto accelerates a lethal wasting disease called cachexia. Patients and mice with cachexia experience loss of appetite, extreme weight loss, fatigue, and immune suppression. The disease has no effective treatment and contributes to about 2 million deaths per year.

“Cachexia results from a wound that doesn’t heal,” Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Assistant Professor Tobias Janowitz says. “It’s very common in patients with progressive cancer. They become so weak they can no longer handle anti-cancer treatment. Everyday tasks become Herculean labors.”

Janowitz and CSHL Postdoc Miriam Ferrer are working to divorce keto’s cancer-fighting benefits from its lethal side effect. They found pairing keto with common drugs called corticosteroids prevented cachexia in mice with cancer. Their tumors shrank and the mice lived longer.

“Healthy mice also lose weight on keto, but their metabolism adapts and they plateau,” Janowitz explains. “Mice with cancer can’t adapt, because they can’t make enough of a hormone called corticosterone that helps regulate keto’s effects. They don’t stop losing weight.”

Keto causes toxic lipid byproducts to accumulate in and kill cancer cells by a process called ferroptosis. This slows tumor growth but also causes early-onset cachexia. When researchers replaced the depleted hormone with a corticosteroid, keto still shrank tumors but didn’t kickstart cachexia.

“Cancer is a whole-body disease. It reprograms normal biological processes to help it grow,” Ferrer says. “Because of this reprogramming, mice can’t use the nutrients from a keto diet, and waste away. But with the steroid, they did much better. They lived longer than with any other treatment we tried.”

Janowitz and Ferrer are part of an international Cancer Grand Challenges effort taking on cancer cachexia. They recently published an authoritative overview of the condition. The team is now working to fine-tune corticosteroid timing and dosage to widen the window for effective cancer therapies in combination with keto.

“We want to push back against cancer even harder, so it grows slower still,” Janowitz says. “If we can broaden this effect, make the treatment more efficient, we can ultimately benefit patients and improve cancer therapeutics.”

https://www.cshl.edu/the-latest-wea...is-a-keto-diet/

Quote:
Ketogenic diet promotes tumor ferroptosis but induces relative corticosterone deficiency that accelerates cachexia

Summary

Glucose dependency of cancer cells can be targeted with a high-fat, low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (KD). However, in IL-6-producing cancers, suppression of the hepatic ketogenic potential hinders the utilization of KD as energy for the organism. In IL-6-associated murine models of cancer cachexia, we describe delayed tumor growth but accelerated cachexia onset and shortened survival in mice fed KD. Mechanistically, this uncoupling is a consequence of the biochemical interaction of two NADPH-dependent pathways. Within the tumor, increased lipid peroxidation and, consequently, saturation of the glutathione (GSH) system lead to the ferroptotic death of cancer cells. Systemically, redox imbalance and NADPH depletion impair corticosterone biosynthesis. Administration of dexamethasone, a potent glucocorticoid, increases food intake, normalizes glucose levels and utilization of nutritional substrates, delays cachexia onset, and extends the survival of tumor-bearing mice fed KD while preserving reduced tumor growth. Our study emphasizes the need to investigate the effects of systemic interventions on both the tumor and the host to accurately assess therapeutic potential. These findings may be relevant to clinical research efforts that investigate nutritional interventions such as KD in patients with cancer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...1857?via%3Dihub
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-23, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

They are telling cancer patients to report for chemo already in ketosis.

Strangely, they don't publicize this "breakthrough." It's really quiet.

Because it makes My Plate a LIE, perhaps?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-23, 05:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

When my mom had breast cancer in 2010 her oncologist highly suggested a "low sugar " diet. Of course that can be open to interpretation.
I just started reading Dr Boz's book and she says a patient of hers told her about MD Anderson wanting patients to be in ketosis before starting radiation.This was news to Dr Boz and thus started her own research into ketogenic diets.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-23, 05:26

BF:

I just read Dr Bosworth's book recently! I watch her Youtube channel, too.

In our NOVA-4 processed food environment, suggestions aren't going to cut it. THEY KNOW. They have to talk about it more, because I know so many people are still "food is food, only calories count" and "I eat like everyone else!"

Yes. That's the real problem, and the doctors know and don't talk about it? But people don't realize those warnings about "consult a doctor if you have shortness of breath" on the drug boxes mean they mean right away, and it usually leads to something terrible. I look at side effects in whole new ways now.

I've been hearing about it from other sources, but Dr. Boz's book was outright proof of something she was a doctor and didn't know. She 180'ed her entire practice towards healthy eating. Impressive. I put up a review, lower down.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-23, 11:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

2005 NIH study ketosis cancer treatment

The data is too slow in reaching treatment facilities.

I walked away from Dana- Farber because of the "eat bananas for potassium" advice. Ten years ago.

When my mother had recent cancer treat, she was not told about fasting going into treatment day. I stopped sharing.

Need oncologist to lead the change:
https://youtu.be/am rate rain
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-23, 20:02

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I know that when they test you for certain cancers, they inject a tracer bound to sugar and see where it goes. It goes straight for the cancer cells. That was enough for me.

Recently I read about a doctor who while treating cancer, tries to get his patients to go into and stay in ketosis, because he found the conventional treatments are much more successful when the patient isn't feeding the cancer with sugar.

He also suggested that ketosis could be a good cancer preventative, but said without double-blind studies, he can't state that as fact.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-23, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Recently I read about a doctor who while treating cancer, tries to get his patients to go into and stay in ketosis, because he found the conventional treatments are much more successful when the patient isn't feeding the cancer with sugar.

They can't publicize that. Corporations make too much money from agriculture subsidies. So they will hide it and get in trouble for the coverup... which is what they fear now.

That's why I mean about denial. They might use this knowledge to try to protect themselves and those close to them, but if they use denial they deny this truth and kill even their own.

I'm staying in ketosis because it keeps my autoimmune in remission (along with low oxalate, which helps correct the mistakes of my past!) and if I'm lowering my chances of cancer, that's just a bonus.

Let's see our society sell THAT idea. It would be easy!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-23, 18:46

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>I'm staying in ketosis because it keeps my autoimmune in remission (along with low oxalate, which helps correct the mistakes of my past!) and if I'm lowering my chances of cancer, that's just a bonus.<...>

Since I went Keto, back when Bob Atkins was still alive, I've had one cold. Sneeze for one day, cough for one day, and done.

I took a vacation in Vienna and went off Keto for a week. I think I got the cold flying back. Vienna makes some great desserts. The year before that I did 5 weeks in Australia, but in a camper van, so I had more control over my meals.

Other than that cold, zip. No colds, no flu, no anything. My doc says my body's physical age is 20 years younger than my actual age.

I wasn't a healthy child, so I guess it's the ketosis.

Whatever it is, I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing, as long as it is working this well.

Bob