Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 17:56

Plan: none atm
Stats: 130/130/150 Male 5"11
BF:
Progress:
Default I may have Candida, please help!

So i have been thinking I might have candida since every other test always comes back positive. This has been 3 years of #$%~. Here is a short list of my symptoms:

Fatigue
Acid reflux (too little or too much acid? I don't know)
Indigestion(Which causes shortness of breath)
Constant belching
Loose stools
Cold hands/feet
Sometimes stomach nausea
Hard to gain weight

Does this sound like candida to you all? I was also curious I am underweight 5"11 male ~ 130lbs. I'm trying to gain weight but it's almost impossible. Would this candida diet which is low carb/sugar diet make me lose even more weight? Is it possible to gain weight on this diet?

As far as what I have been taking so far is:

4 drops oil of oregeno per day
2 spoons of cocnut oil
~2-3 billion acidophlus(sp?) probiotics every day

I have cut out sugars almost completely on my diet for 3 days now but carbs are still there somewhat. Every doctor tries to force nexium or equivalent down me and I think that helps to cause my situation.

Thanks for your help!
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleolithic
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmac5
So i have been thinking I might have candida since every other test always comes back positive. This has been 3 years of #$%~. Here is a short list of my symptoms:

Fatigue
Acid reflux (too little or too much acid? I don't know)
Indigestion(Which causes shortness of breath)
Constant belching
Loose stools
Cold hands/feet
Sometimes stomach nausea
Hard to gain weight

Does this sound like candida to you all? I was also curious I am underweight 5"11 male ~ 130lbs. I'm trying to gain weight but it's almost impossible. Would this candida diet which is low carb/sugar diet make me lose even more weight? Is it possible to gain weight on this diet?

As far as what I have been taking so far is:

4 drops oil of oregeno per day
2 spoons of cocnut oil
~2-3 billion acidophlus(sp?) probiotics every day

I have cut out sugars almost completely on my diet for 3 days now but carbs are still there somewhat. Every doctor tries to force nexium or equivalent down me and I think that helps to cause my situation.

Thanks for your help!
-Aaron

No matter what's causing it, three days of diet treatment won't solve much.

For Candida:
*Acidophilus is good.
*Lots of people like coconut oil. I haven't tried it, but nothing will substitute for eliminating sugar.
*Fruit is sugar ......fructose .......an evil complex sugar.
*Non-sugar carbs are time-release, and cause less of a problem than sugar when ingested in moderation.
*Stop ingesting chlorine and salicylate dyes like in blueberries, blackberries, turmeric...... They kill beneficial bacteria, but not candida. Drink purified water.

Your symptoms point to the candida-celiac progression:

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html

Along with stopping sugar, stop eating wheat, barley, rye and oats for a month. If your symptoms go away, you have celiac disease. Keep it up.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses...ohr/celiac.html

Late-stage celiacs, with demonstrable intestinal damage, comprise about 1% of european-type people. Since celiac is age-related and life-threatening, celiac is actually far more prevalent than the 1% "snapshot" indicates. Don't even get me started on the prevalence of gluten sensitivity.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 09:47

Plan: none atm
Stats: 130/130/150 Male 5"11
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your reply! I had the genetic blood test and biopsy done for celiac and both were negative. So I think i'm good there. Is it possible to have candida without being celiac? Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleolithic
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmac5
Thanks for your reply! I had the genetic blood test and biopsy done for celiac and both were negative. So I think i'm good there. Is it possible to have candida without being celiac? Thanks.

Absolutely it's possible to have intestinal candidiasis without celiac.

False negative celiac tests are rampant. Small intestine damage is a late-stage progression of celiac disease. And visible damage is spotty. Taking five biopsies of an area the size of a tennis court often doesn't work. About half of American physicians consider biopsy to be the "gold standard" for celiac diagnosis. The truth is, it's absolutely worthless.

Blood tests are rife with false negatives ......sometimes because doctors and labs don't perform the right tests, sometimes because the results are incorrect. I'll be glad to help review your blood tests if you want to post them.

Celiac disease is the digestive disease which goes away on a gluten-free sugar-free diet. If you try the diet, and it makes your symptoms go away, then what's the question?

#5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 11:15
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have had luck with Candex and ph balancing enymes. I take caprylic acid every day and pantothenic acid.
Probiotics and eat a lot of yogurt. Seem to have less issues since I have upped my carbs in maintainance (seems contra)...body doesn't like being too acidic... Denise