Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 10:47

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 295/286/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Soy yogurt, Black Soybeans

Hi there everyone, I am new to this site and have quite a bit of weight to lose (around 150lbs). I've been a vegetarian all of my life. I don't even like eggs. I have been trying to eat them since beginning this, but it's not working out.
I'm doing my own version of atkins induction right now, but I think I'm getting around 30-35 grams of carbs a day due to the veggies. I feel good about this and have lost 10lbs in a week, so it's working for me.

I am frugal by nature and I've been spending a fortune so far on food. The fake meats, lots of cheese and the like..

I found a place to order organic black soybeans and I purchased 5lbs of them. I can't wait until they arrive. I'm having trouble finding an actual carb count for them. Every site says something different. I've found a range from 1 net carb per half cup (cooked) serving to 6 net carbs. Does anyone know the actual carb count of 1/2 cup of cooked black soybeans?

I also make my own soymilk using 1/2 cup of soybeans. I'm assuming that I can't subtract the fiber from the milk since it doesn't end up in the final product and I have to count the full carb count of the beans? I'd like to turn the soymilk into soy yogurt. Using the full carb count that would give me a quart of soy yogurt for around 8 grams of carbs, so it would work out to 2 grams per cup of yogurt.

Has anyone else done this? Do you have any frugal suggestions for me? It is killing me to spend so much money!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 10:58
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

In fitday this is what I get for soybeans-doesn't say if they are black, but....

1 cup cooked soybeans
Total Fat 16.05g 25%
Saturated Fat 2.32g 12%
Polyunsaturated Fat 9.06g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.54g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 417.88mg 17%
Potassium 921.56mg 26%
Total Carbohydrate 17.75g 6%
Dietary Fiber 10.74g 43%
Protein 29.77g 60%

So, I would guess a cup of them has a net carb count of 7g. That isn't too bad. I don't know about homemade soy milk, but on fitday it has about 1 net gram of carb per cup. I wonder if you can go with that?

Since I don't cook or make anything myself, I cannot help you with the rest.

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 11:14
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

#4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 11:20
Slothy Superhero

That is a cool site Lisa!

I think (hopefully) the difference you are seeing between the fitday totals and the site Lisa posted is her site lists them as not cooked and the fitday nes are-1 cup cooked would be more in than 1 cup packaged. Right?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 09:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoanth
That is a cool site Lisa!

I think (hopefully) the difference you are seeing between the fitday totals and the site Lisa posted is her site lists them as not cooked and the fitday nes are-1 cup cooked would be more in than 1 cup packaged. Right?

Actually...Eden Black Soy Beans ARE cooked and ready to go just like any other canned bean. Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 09:16
Slothy Superhero

Huh. Wonder why the discrepancy, then?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 10:39

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for posting this.

Black Soybeans are much lower in carbs (netting only 1 net carb per half cup cooked) in every source I can find.
The regular soybeans (white) net 3.5 per 1/2 cup cooked.
I have no idea why there is such a difference, but I wondered the same thing. I can't wait for the organic dried black soybeans to come.. (I ordered 5lbs).. I just may go out and buy a can of the Edensoy even though they are 2 bucks a pop.

I was thinking that at I could blend 1 cup of cooked soybeans with 4 cups of water and get a thick soymilk type of liquid that I could use in place of cream in cooking. (many less carbs too, as a quart would only net 7 grams). That could be a basis for cream soups and be much healthier than heavy cream.

I have a lot of experimenting to do.. (I teach vegetarian cooking classes and am writing a cookbook, so I naturally experiment in the kitchen a lot)

When I get the Black Soybeans I'm going to make a Black Bean Soup and top it off with guacamole, cheddar, scallions and jalapenos.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 13:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Lowcarbveg, another cook! welcome!
I'd take my carb counts for unsweetened organic soymilk from the counts a manufacturer like WestSoy lists for its own unsweetened organic soymilk--not a perfect system, but easier than wrapping oneself around the axle trying to do a conversion without lab analysis handy. I don't have a box in front of me, but if I recall, 8 oz. of unsweetened organic soymilk comes in at something like 1g ECC (effective carbs) per cup, I'd guess that's close enough. I'm assuming you make your soymilk from white soybeans, though...the black soybeans don't make a really good milk in my experience, and when I want dark milk I'll add cocoa.

When I made homemade soymilk light years ago, I used to just reduce some of the milk to make 'cream.' And yes, you can make yogurt from either the milk, the 'cream' or a combination of both.

As for the discrepancies between various sources for the carb counts of soybeans and the information listed by Eden on their canned organic black soybeans, Eden acknowledged awhile ago that the 1/2 cup portion listed on the label also included the canning liquid. Drained, the cooked beans run closer to 3 or 4g ECC for a half-cup, but that's still pretty reasonable.

Whether soymilk is healthier than heavy cream, half and half or dairy in general remains to be seen. Yes, heavy cream and half and half both contain significant amounts of fat, but you NEED fat to spur your system into gluconeogensis, which is the heart of why low carb eating is successful. Bottom line, a lot of veggie protein sources outside of dairy and eggs are pretty low fat, so you do need to keep a careful eye on the fats you're getting, ensuring that there is enough. You are teaching your body to learn to use different macronutrients (protein and fats) as its first preferred macronutrients in digestion, and depriving it of carbohydrates to teach that. If you only deprive your body of carbs without increasing the amounts of protein and fats it needs for ongoing metabolism, you'll only be doing half the job and will hit a wall relatively quickly.

Yes, you are carrying some extra fat you want your body to start using for fuel, but during this teaching phase when you're telling it, 'hey, pick fats and proteins first,' you have to be sure to GIVE it fats and proteins that are easy to get into the metabolic process. Once your body learns to look to protein and fats first, it'll take care of working on your body's fat reserves without skipping a beat.

As for frugality...you don't have to eat eggs or dairy in their natural forms to get the benefits of eating them. You don't have to eat fake meats (I only eat them when I'm testing a recipe, to be honest.) You can make things like seitan at home for less than a quarter of the cost of one package of pre-made seitan (one small box of vital wheat gluten makes a LOT of seitan!)

I spend my mad grocery money on nuts and seeds, myself (and good coffee, but that's another post. ) Things like nut muffins which use kefir along with ground nut flours and nut butters to create a protein and fat dense snack or meal, pancakes/crepes which use lots of eggs in the batter but don't taste like eggs when you're eating them, Karen Barnaby's cheese 'noodles,' tofu shred (noodles) from the Asian grocery store, etc. can get lots of relatively low cost proteins and good fats into your diet without making you feel like you're eating eggs and cheese all the time.

And another way of looking at frugality is: if you continued to eat in the way that got you to your current weight, how much money would you be spending on health-care related issues (if not now, soon enough?) This is money you will be SAVING with healthier low carb eating habits. That, IMO, is being truly frugal--preventing unnecessary health care expenses with healthier eating.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 14:25

BF:
Progress:

Gaelen,

Yes, I'm making the soymilk with white soybeans.. hehe.. I have a Vita-Mix and yesterday I actually boiled the beans and pureed it with water in the vitamix and didn't strain it at all (so I could keep the fiber) and used it for milk in my spinach "sausage" soup. It worked great! Don't worry, I am definitely getting enough fat. I eat a whole avocado every day, plus olive oil, cheese, nuts and some butter.

Today my dried black soybeans came in the mail! I have them soaking right now and tonight I'm going to make black bean patties. I think I'll add some vital wheat gluten (funny you mentioned making seitan at home.. I do it all the time and have 20lbs of Vital wheat Gluten and I also have around 30 lbs of TVP.. can't wait til I'm off the induction so I can use more of it) and egg for the binder. I got Veganaise (like mayo, but without eggs) and I'm going to mix that with chipolte peppers, cilantro and scallions to put on top of it along with pepper jack cheese.

Do you have any favorite recipes that you've posted here? I made a yummy Spinach/"Sausage" soup yesterday that even my husband liked.

I'm on day 10 of induction and I'm getting really sick of it. I'm so glad that beans came so I can make differen dishes.

I made a cauliflower/tofu/egg/cream and cheese casserole that was really good several days ago and have been eating that with spinach salad for dinner.

oh.. I also got some Isopure protein powder. 50 grams of protein per serving and no carbs. That has been a real life saver.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 18:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

LowCarbVeg, I have posted some recipes I like, but I usually post most of my veggie ones to either Cyndi Norwitz's LC-veg mailing list, or to the Protein Power BBS.

One thing that I've found about soaking/cooking the black soybeans is that if I do them in the crockpot overnight, I don't get too impatient and they get softer with less energy expended (mine, and the power company's).
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 21:04

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I actually finally found an online source for black soybeans and have just ordered a 25 pound bag. I am also frugal by nature so I figured it'll be cheaper in the long run then buying them by the can. I never thought of going to fitday and finding the totals there,but it seems like a good idea. I do mine completely vegan. I've been vegetarian for awhile,since 1982. I tried milk and cheese and eggs and they completely nauseated me. So I make my own soymilk, yogurt, and kefir, using soybeans and vege cheese isn't too bad. It is completely possible to stay vegan and low carb.Welcome lowcarbveg, hope you will post often. Judy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 06:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 255/224/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbveg
I found a place to order organic black soybeans and I purchased 5lbs of them.

Hi lowcarbveg;
Where did you find the organic black soybeans?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 17:46

Plan: a vegan one
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

I go with Eden canned Black Soybeans, which are 1 net carb per serving (3.5 total):

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/prod...ducts_id=103050

They are pretty bland by themselves - you have to add spices or add them to something.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 19:02

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 176/136/130
BF:
Progress:
Default cooking black soybeans

Edensoy black soybeans has skyrocketed to $2.49 a can here, which is absurd! So I, too, bought a 5# cannister of organic black soybeans. Now I am a very experienced cook but the last time I cooked soybeans from scratch was in 1963 with a pressure cooker... and I was 8 years old! So I am rusty.

So far, the best data I have is from http://www.soyfoods.org/products/so...eans-fact-sheet

Anything further?

Rani