Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 03:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Sugar entering the brain during septic shock causes memory loss

Quote:
From Science Daily
April 22, 2019

Sugar entering the brain during septic shock causes memory loss

The loss of memory and cognitive function known to afflict survivors of septic shock is the result of a sugar that is released into the blood stream and enters the brain during the life-threatening condition. This finding, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, explains the premature mental aging that follows septic shock and may shed light on memory loss in other diseases.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...90422151015.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 05:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The more I learn about how the brain works with the digestive system, the more I am amazed.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 06:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

A keto diet protects mice from hypoglycemia during septic shock. Don't know what effect that would have on the body's ability to process these glycosaminoglycans or the tendency to shed them in the first place.

http://meeting.mcacs.org/abstracts/2014/P18.cgi

Quote:
Mice fed KD normalized blood glucose while mice fed CD developed hypoglycemia from endotoxin sepsis. The switch to fat-based metabolism induced by KD may prevent hypoglycemia by maintaining hepatic glycogen, increasing insulin resistance, and decreasing inflammatory signaling.

And then there's this;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8...se-risk-sepsis/

On various news sites. I chose the Sun because they're one of my favourite parody news sites.
Quote:
FAT LOAD OF GOOD High-fat keto diet ‘could increase your risk of deadly sepsis’, experts warn
Scientists believe something in high-fat food could change the immune system which triggers sepsis

I mean, they show why we shouldn't take their headline seriously immediately after;

Quote:
YOU'RE much more likely to develop deadly sepsis if you eat a lot of fatty foods, experts have warned.

Gorging on burgers and chips, pizza, cakes and other sugary treats is known to be bad for our waistlines.

Quote:
Experiments in mice showed that those fed a low-fibre, high fat and sugary diet were more likely to develop severe sepsis and die.

Dr Brooke Napier, who led the research, said: "The mice's immune system on the Western diet looked and functioned differently.

"It looks like the diet is manipulating immune cell function so that you're more susceptible to sepsis, and then when you get sepsis, you die quicker."

The study doesn't seem to have involved a keto diet. But Dr. Napier did tweet on April 9 "Ever wonder what a mouse ketogenic diet looks like" which interests me because it means sometime in the future we may have a study more relevant to the diets we eat.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 06:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

NO wonder people are confused.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 09:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow, this is interesting!
Keep that poison out of our brains all of the time by not eating it, ever.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 10:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Not really an issue of dietary sugars getting into the brain, this is a matter of inflammation/immune response causing structural carbohydrates that are involved in our immune system's recognition of our own versus invading pathogen's tissues to be damaged, entering the blood stream and then finding their way into our brain. So there is a dietary/metabolic control etc. connection, or probably many of them, through the effects of blood glucose etc. on immune response and inflammation, but the poisoning if we want to call it that isn't as simple as excess carbohydrate getting into the brain.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 14:13

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

You hit the jackpot of the true meaning of "Fake News". It shows how people with hidden agenda manipulating public's mind. Low Carbers are one of the groups and people being attack hard by fake news and fake science. We understand perfectly how other victims of fake news/fake science felt. So do not join fake news and fake science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
A keto diet protects mice from hypoglycemia during septic shock. Don't know what effect that would have on the body's ability to process these glycosaminoglycans or the tendency to shed them in the first place.

http://meeting.mcacs.org/abstracts/2014/P18.cgi

And then there's this;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8...se-risk-sepsis/

On various news sites. I chose the Sun because they're one of my favourite parody news sites.

I mean, they show why we shouldn't take their headline seriously immediately after;

The study doesn't seem to have involved a keto diet. But Dr. Napier did tweet on April 9 "Ever wonder what a mouse ketogenic diet looks like" which interests me because it means sometime in the future we may have a study more relevant to the diets we eat.