Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/184/150
BF:not sure
Progress: 26%
Question Tips on work lunches

I have been on Atkins for two days ...

Breakfast is presenting a problem, I begin work at 7 a.m. and am used to having breakfast at the office ... but cooking and working is not an option ...

Can anyone give me some tips on what they do in similar situations ?

What can I pack to take to work that keeps me on the induction programme ...?

Also some tips for lunch at work ?

Thanks,

Michael13
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 17:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Michael!

How about ham, roast beef or turkey spread with cream cheese and rolled up? Boiled eggs and cheese slices are another option. You could always pack leftover meat from dinner the night before and have that. I've known people to have tuna or chicken salad for breakfast, but I don't think my stomach can take that so early in the morning.
Remember...you don't have to have eggs for breakfast every day.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 18:08
Registered Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips on breakfast and lunch...

I guess what I have to do is GET ORGANISED !! ...

My wife and I are still trying to get our heads around LC shopping ...

Having been on low fat regimes, high protein shopping is a whole new world (one I think I may like!).

Thanks again ...

Michael13
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 19:34
Registered Member

Stats: 188/164.5/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Chunks of cheese, pepperoni, thick sliced bacon ( really chewy and satisfies the taste buds!) harb boiled eggs, deviled eggs, stuffed celery with a cheese spread, ham or roast beef roll-ups, liver sausage chunks.........the list is endless. Part of the problem is trying to adjust our lives to the fact that any food can be a breakfast or lunch item. One of my favorites is leftover steak, cut very thin with green onions and sour cream mixed all together.
Hope this helps.
Kay
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 01:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Michael13,

It's 9.48 am here in Belarus and I’m just about to pack my lunch box. It is a Tupperware container which I take in everyday.

It will have in it:
4 slices of roast beef (I but it ready cooked)
4 slices of really fatty salami.
4 slices of ham
2 hardboiled eggs
4 slices of cheese.
Some slices of cucumber.
2 lettuce leaves.
Half a tomato

This lot will do my lunch and a snack at about 5 or 6. (I come home about 8 or 9). Note: I'm on OWL not induction.

Yes. You need to organize. My main shopping point is the cold meats counter!

Good luck,

Robert.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 03:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:Dunno
Progress: 0%

Thanks all for the prompt feedbacks.

I'm not a big eater; hence the small portion. As a matter of fact, I used to skip my breakfast all together. Since starting this diet, I've included either a low-carb muffin (Atkins mix) or some bars for breakfast to keep my body from going into starvation mode. The scrambled eggs and sausages didn't work for me. That what I had during my 1st 2 weeks and absolutely no weight loss. As you can see, I've only lost 4 lbs since starting this WOE on 9/6/02. Don't you think that's extremely slow?

I forgot to mention the fact that I work out with some free weights 3 times a week. I have been told that muscle will weigh more than fat, but I don't think that much muscles were gained.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 05:44

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Mochadaw,

You lost about 15% of what your goal weight loss is - when you look at the percentage - your loss is great! The others you see losing a good bit more in the same time, are usually people who have much more to loose than you do.

As far as muscles vs fat - have you taken your measurements - not only does the muscle "weigh more" than the fat - it takes up much less space.

Keep going!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 07:22

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

I make a six egg omelet in the evening that I warm up and have half for breakfast for two days. It works out really well. It's all ready, I just warm it up.

Lunch I either a chicken breast with veggies or a chef salad.

Planning ahead really helps.

Good luck to you.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 09:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I keep a head of chopped lettuce in a big zip lock...my favorite kitchen helper...and for lunch I grab a couple of handfuls, topped with whatever else is in there: lunch meat, scoop of tuna, egg salad, leftover dinner... or I just bring some dressing and buy a quick $1 burger without the bun.

Breakfast for me is eggs and something...same thing...I start with the eggs, and use up leftover veggies for mixing in, top it with cheese or something and go. If the cooking is a problem, make a giant crustless quiche and freeze individual slices.

#10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Tips on work lunches

Sometimes, when my stomach is feeling touchy but I need something quick, I'll eat a few olives. They're nicely low-carb and tend to settle well, aside from the health benefits.

I try to keep fully-cooked sausages on hand (brats, kielbasa, whatever) as something to grab in a hurry - I don't mind them cold and they're easy to handle while driving or whatever, especially if you wrap one end in a napkin.

Seems like nuts are a "bad guy" on here, but I find them handy, too. And, as someone else mentioned, cheese and cream cheese stuffed celery are easy and quick. Good luck! My mind still boggles occasionally, too, though it's slowly becoming more of a boggle at other people's shopping choices than mine. (I still have a really hard time swallowing mayonnaise even though other fats don't bother me.)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 10:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I wish I liked celery more...it is such a handy little veggie! Cream cheese, egg salad, tuna, etc. can be stuffed into a stalk and even in the car on the way to work you have a good nutritious snack. I wonder if there's any other kind of veggie that can do the same thing...maybe cucumber slices or spears.

#12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default What I take

Michael - I work a 16 hour shift and have to bring every meal with me. For breakfast I pack any of the following:

Pre-cooked bacon or sausage, hard cheese cubes, hard boiled or deviled eggs. I really, really like a sausage that is already stuffed with cheese, and there is one that is spicy that is good too!

For lunch I usually have a salad with some type of protein (ham, chicken, tuna) and a nice, fatty dressing. (The heavy dressing helps me feel full for a long time.)

For dinner I have something covered in cheese! There are sauces that are sold in jars near the spaghetti sauce that are cheese sauses... like Alfredo... I love these...

As the others have said, you have to preplan. I not, you can always get a sausage biscuit and dump the bread!

Happy LC'ing...
Karla
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 14:17
Registered Member

Smile thanks for the help

Thanks for all your great ideas re : work lumches and breakfasts.

As I write, I'm in a break at work.

I am eating slices of ham and turkey, stuffed with cream cheese and baby spinach leaves... delicious - and easy.

Planning seems to be the answer.

Thanks again.

Michael13
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 10:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/179/150
BF:
Progress: 66%

I keep precooked and peeled hardboiled eggs in a gladware container in the fridge and on the mornings im running late i just use two eggs and mix up some egg salad and eat it with a spoon. This might be an option for you.

Katie