Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey Bawdy, would you mind looking me up? 220lbs, 5'8" tall.

I didn't even know they wrote a second book.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 17:09
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingNew
Hey Bawdy, would you mind looking me up? 220lbs, 5'8" tall.

I didn't even know they wrote a second book.

Hi NothingNew...I'm not Bawdy (and I don't play her on t.v., haha) but I can tell you what you need to know. The answer is 40g (per meal, obviously). It goes down to 34 once you reach 195 pounds. HTH!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 06:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Hi NothingNew...I'm not Bawdy (and I don't play her on t.v., haha) but I can tell you what you need to know. The answer is 40g (per meal, obviously). It goes down to 34 once you reach 195 pounds. HTH!

Thanks Lisa!

So, who do you play on T.V.?
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 06:26

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Nothing? Or do you go by New for short?

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your question. Busy, busy, busy both at work and at home. Didn't even check email most of last week. Lisa answered your question, so I'm off the hook.

If you ever have a question that you think maybe I can answer, don't ever hesitate to send me a private message.

Good luck! In my opinion, PP is the best and easiest and most sensible plan out there.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 14:21

Stats: 236/177/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 58%

I've read PP many times... I will have to get PPLP. I think DH has read an excerpt from it.

I love PP.. I think it's an easier plan than Atkins.

Quote:
For anyone reading this, and easy way to calculate your protein requirements per meal is to take your body weight and divide it by 6. That will give you the minimum amount per meal.

I saw this.. This means for me I need 32g protein per meal... That's a challenge.
Well, that's about 4-4.5 oz. of meat per meal.

I'm one of those folks who didn't find the original PP calcs difficult. However, it is time consuming to get the measurements. So I don't recalculate as frequently as the weight changes and the protein requirement changes.

How do you all make sure you get your protein in each day?

Last edited by nolagina : Sun, Jun-03-07 at 14:30.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 14:43

BF:

Hey, Gina! Yeah, I didn't find those original calculations difficult either. For some, though, they seem to be mind-boggling.

I don't think it's critical to find the EXACT amount, since they are after all MINIMUM requirements. I mean, a 27-gram serving of meat is about 4 ounces; a 40-gram serving is about 6 ounces. ANYONE can eat 6 ounces of protein per meal. It doesn't all have to be "meat," either. Add some cheese (even Philly cheese), maybe some heavy cream. Easy.

The first time I tried PP, I literally paid no attention to ANYTHING except the carbs and protein. I tried for 34 grams per meal (about 5 ounces), and no more than 7 carbs per meal. At first, I did 3 meals at 2 carbs each, and 2 snacks of a couple carbs each. My fat intake didn't even come into my thinking at all.

Also, you said:
Quote:

So I don't recalculate as frequently as the weight changes and the protein requirement changes

Really, you don't need to worry about this AT ALL. Remember, these are MINIMUM requirements. The difference between a 40-gram serving of protein (remember, that's 6 ounces of meat) and a 27-gram serving of protein (that's 4 ounces of meat) is only 2 ounces. Even if you never reduced your intake of protein, you'd still be good to go. Just keep those carbs in check.

BEWARE CARB CREEP! That's what I'm experiencing now. Sure, 5 Ritz crackers are only about 10 carbs. That means I can have 15 and be fine for the day. But then there are the other little carbs that I have throughout the day. That, and grains tend to send me off on a binge. OK, not a "binge" per se, but grains tend to set off cravings.

It's all about getting back to the basics. Conquer the basics, and you've got it made!

good deal
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 14:46

BF:

PS to Gina

You asked how do we make sure we get all our protein in.

If you're having trouble, why not try posting a daily menu, and then I (and others) can tell you where you can << excuse the pun >> BEEF it up?
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 05:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Hi, Nothing? Or do you go by New for short?

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your question. Busy, busy, busy both at work and at home. Didn't even check email most of last week. Lisa answered your question, so I'm off the hook.

If you ever have a question that you think maybe I can answer, don't ever hesitate to send me a private message.

Good luck! In my opinion, PP is the best and easiest and most sensible plan out there.

Nothing is fine but I do also go by New.

It's ok; I'm sure you'll answer another one of my questions in the near future.

Funny that you should mention private messaging; I tried to do that the other day on this board and I got some crazy error message. I had just joined so maybe I wasn't allowed to do that yet.

I just may have to buy the Eades' new book. It sounds like they've update the plan a good deal since I last was on it about 10 years ago.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 05:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
PS to Gina

You asked how do we make sure we get all our protein in.

If you're having trouble, why not try posting a daily menu, and then I (and others) can tell you where you can << excuse the pun >> BEEF it up?

I'm not Gina, but maybe you could help me. If I ate 1/4 pound of roast beef for lunch, would I be getting my 40 grams of protein?
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 05:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingNew
Nothing is fine but I do also go by New.

It's ok; I'm sure you'll answer another one of my questions in the near future.

Funny that you should mention private messaging; I tried to do that the other day on this board and I got some crazy error message. I had just joined so maybe I wasn't allowed to do that yet.

I just may have to buy the Eades' new book. It sounds like they've update the plan a good deal since I last was on it about 10 years ago.

UPDATE: I just tried to send Bawdy an instant message but I got this instead:

NothingNew, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Your user account may have been suspended due to a violation of our forum rules. If that is the case, please contact us at webmaster~lowcarber.org

I'm off to see the forum rules again to see if I have to be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to PM.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 06:47

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hello,

I have a few questions...

I'm new to all this but interested. I'm currently doing Atkins, but I feel I should be more aware of my protein and fat intake. Carbs I already count, as I take no more than 15-25/day.

I'm a 6'1", 270 pounds, man. I do exercise 2-3 week (once hard with weights, 2 other times more like playing golf or rollerbladding, or walk in the mountain...),

I don't have the Protein Power book, and don't really plan on buying it. After reading stuff off the internet, and in this forum,

I have a few questions:

1- Seems like a need a MINIMUM amout of protein, which may be around 40-50 grams per meal. So that is... 150 grams / day. ??? What happened if I have a bit less for some meals ? And what about if I eat MORE; is there a MAXIMUM?

2- Seems like I need 10 g Carbs / meal. Hmmm.. being on Atkins I don't eat that many carbs. I just can't ! I've convinced myself that CARBS are the devil, and now I'm used to this, and if I cheat it may be an entrance for more cheating. Do i really need to eat 10 gram Carbs/meal ?

Thats all for now.

Thank you.

ChÉ
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 09:44
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

I just ordered the book on Amazon and am reading here and on http://www.proteinpower.com/forum/ So far it sounds very interesting. I feel better when I eat a good amount of protein and craved it when I tried to cut back. Can someone please look up my protein min. for me? I'm 5'2" and 219 pounds.

I also need to eat every few hours, which mean that I have 3 snacks a day. From what I've read the carbs and proteins are calculated for 3 meals only. Is there a rule of thumb about the snacks?
Quote:
1- And what about if I eat MORE; is there a MAXIMUM?

I was wondering if there was a maximum too. Is there a formula to calculate how much you need depending on how much and what type of exercise you're doing?
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 10:51
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Kandra!

Glad to have you checking things out here. Which book did you order? PP or PPLP?

I looked up your requirements in PPLP at you're at 34g per meal and that won't change until you are at 170 pounds (then it'll be 27g per meal).

My rule of thumb has simply been to "shoot for" the minimum requirements (which is what I just gave you above) each day and try not to do more than double it. Now some people will say that's way too much, but I think it's a personal thing. For me my goal has been about 100g per day (for my height and weight, which even though it's a little different lands me in your zone too) and I generally tried not to go above 150 (again, no scientific backing, jsut felt right). I did do considerable weight training and so I just felt confident I was using the protein well. I would also listen to my body and on some days (especially after training) I might crave more protein and so I'd have some. But most of the time, I feel the minimum is fine especially as it relates to everything else. (The amount of protein you eat isn't the only factor, after all.) I found that when I upped the fat, I kept the protein closer to minimum and that worked well. At some point calories can matter. So it's really just a matter of finding a good balance for you. (What else is new, right?)

As for snacking, I figure since this is a MINIMUM, you could easily just do your 34 per meal and then add on what you want for snacking and you'll be fine. I guess it depends on if your snack is PB or cheese and fruit or a steak. LOL

Good luck and I HTH!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 11:10
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your fast reply! So 34g per meal according my to calculations is what, about 6 oz of meat?
Because of what I read here I bought the new book PPLP. I appreciate your input and your results with PP. I'm searching hard for that balance. I started on Atkins then stalled for months, moved to FF but am having bad cravings again and don't feel satiated even though I'm eating the same amount of calories. So I'm looking into PP now.
I'm insulin resistant, have some health issues and have a looooong history of yoyo dieting, so it's been a true battle for every pound and inch lost so far. Also I'm looking for a WOL this time and not a quick weight loss plan.
So from what you said about snacking I don't have to keep to any ratio or anything, I just keep close to my daily protein/carb requirements. That will make this easier to keep as a WOL.
Thanks for your help. I can't wait until my book comes in!
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 13:28
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandra
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your fast reply! So 34g per meal according my to calculations is what, about 6 oz of meat?

I use Fitday and generally come up with about 4 oz to cover 34 grams. Again, I approximate a lot and of course factor in other sources that I love, such as cheese and eggs.

Quote:
So from what you said about snacking I don't have to keep to any ratio or anything, I just keep close to my daily protein/carb requirements. That will make this easier to keep as a WOL.

From my personal experience, I've played "fast and loose" with keeping the ratios, and still have been very successful. For example, this morning I had 2 XL cage-free eggs and nitrate free bacon for breakfast, which comes out to be about 21 grams. I don't feel the need to supplement that just to arrive at 34 because I know I'll make it up with a snack later and because that breakfast feels good to me. (It was "enough"...satisfying, good, strong protein that keeps me going, easy to digest.) I also don't feel the need to push for carbs in a meal like breakfast just for the sake of eating them. If I feel like adding some fruit I will...or if I make an omelet, I'll add veggies. But otherwise I just go with what I like. I have a tendency to graze a LOT during the day, so instead I prefer to take my total allotment and try to eat well throughout the day, keeping things balanced and satisfying. Everyone has a different approach - Larry, for example, has such a strong protein and fat breakfast that he isn't hungry until dinnertime! Not me, baby. I have a good appetite so you can be sure I'm eating a piece of cheese and/or some berries or grabbing a bite of chicken or cream cheese on celery or a spoonful of all-natural peanut butter. LOL (Man, I love food!)

Quote:
Also I'm looking for a WOL this time and not a quick weight loss plan.
THAT, my dear, is the reason PP(LP) will work so well for you. It truly is a life plan and a guide to being healhier and stronger as well as allowing your body to find a good weight.

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I can't wait until my book comes in!
You'll probably attack it like I did, reading like crazy. But keep in mind that you can be incorporating good tips and basic ideas right away (which it sounds like you are - and we'll all help you with) and as you read, keep incorporating new stuff. Then eventually you'll sort of forget some of what you read because there is so much, but the lifestyle will be ingrained and you will go back and re-read chapters and get re-motivated again. I have the book on my nightstand for quick reference anytime. I love it. My only disappointment is its lack of attention to eating for pregnancy, but I can't blame them...it's SUCH a controversial topic!!

Good luck!