Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 00:37

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default High-carb Diet Causes High Triglyceride Levels

Found this in Science Daily. As usual, the scientists in question see this finding as a step towards finding some new drug, whereas what jumped out at me was the "discovery" that a high-carb diet causes high levels of triglycerides. There seems to be an easy conclusion to draw there - like, "Cut out the carbs and see your triglycerides fall - and, hey presto, no more risk of fatty liver problems either!"

But that would be far too easy a conclusion for white-coated scientists funded by Big Pharma to make...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...80612141348.htm

Happy Reading!

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

What should have leapt out at you is that no one considered a high carbohydrate diet causing high levels of triglyderides and cholesterol a surprise or a discovery. Instead it was properly regarded as providing excess glucose to trigger production of triglyceride.

Damn those evil white coats for investigating the function of a molecule with an unknown role in the liver. And damn them if they find a way to help people who are genetically pre-disposed to high cholesterol levels uneffected by diet. And in particular, damn them if that help ultimately comes in a pill.

One day those white coats may find ways to make pills that stop genetic mental retardation, and goodness knows the world would be a poorer place while big pharma gets richer and richer.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 07:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This is like discovering soil is brown. I remember 10 or so years and having triglycerides that were becoming too high, my doctor sent me home with a sheet of paper that said to cut down on carbohydrates and fat of course. He seemed at a loss when I asked him what can I eat if I cut out 2 of 3 macronutrients.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 08:42

Plan: keto/atkins/no cow dairy
Stats: 230/217/170 Female 5" 8'
BF:
Progress: 22%

hey Lessliz, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel .

Ridiculous, of course. You can't patent a diet though. You can patent a nice little pill for people to take.
This is really sad.

Cerridwen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 08:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, the sad part isn't the research or the help for people with a genetic triglyceride disorder getting help. The sad part is how it'll be used for those without the disorder. There will be side effects, there always are, and people will again bet on the side-effects rather than changing their habits.

And, as usual, the headlines is stupid. The news isn't that triglycerides are caused by carbs but that they found out something about how rat livers work (and hopefully human livers too).