Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 09:33

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default 4 months, Cholesterol up 70 pts!

When I started lc back in March, my cholesterol was 180, my good bad is just out of whack, I don't remember the numbers now, not where the should be though. My sugar was high though. I needed to lose weight obviously. In 4 months, I've lost 70 lbs. Go back for bloodwork, glucose is great! Cholesterol is up to 253! What the heck?! Good/bad is still out of whack? One of them is like 31 and needs to be way higher I think she said. My triglycrides were fine, 131 I believe. She said she wasn't concerned about my cholesterol going up, but did ask about what I was eating - she isn't one that is against a LC diet, but did suggest I might back off some of my eggs. I do eat a LOT of eggs. Could this have driven my numbes up that much? And if so what do I do now? Egg beaters and turkey bacon? I'll admit I do eat sometimes 5-6 eggs a day. Just not sure what to do now?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 11:54

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Do you feel better? That is my gage. Both hubby and I had ours skyrocket (lean hubby's is over 300, I think). But I feel WAY better than any time my cholesterol was ever "normal".
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 11:55

BF:

Well, of course, I feel better, I'm 70 lbs lighter than I was 4 months ago. But how many people can "feel" when their cholesterol is high or normal?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 13:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
Well, of course, I feel better, I'm 70 lbs lighter than I was 4 months ago. But how many people can "feel" when their cholesterol is high or normal?

Losing weight does not mean you will automatically feel better. If you feel healthier, then the numbers don't matter IMO. Was I better off when I was miserable and unhealthy and weak or strong and happy and healthy. I'd take the new me with high cholesterol any day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 16:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Read some of the other posts here, especially the two stickied to the top.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 16:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey

I guess a better way to put it is "Would you rather have the 70 pounds less or 70 points less?" I'm guessing you will take the pounds.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 07:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I guess a better way to put it is "Would you rather have the 70 pounds less or 70 points less?" I'm guessing you will take the pounds.

Well, I hate the be difficult, but I want both. And I understand the numbers, what cholesterol is and all of that, and it is something that I don't want where my numbers are right now. My overall was 253, my HDL was 31, my LDL, I think was like 150 or 160. Especially, when my overall was only 180 just 4 months ago. I'm just looking for some tips on how I can continue the LC lifestyle and lower my cholesterol. I'm going to increase my exercise level and cut back on the eggs, and try to watch the fat, but I really don't think I eat as much fat as I think. Eggs is my biggest thing though.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 08:25

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

This may be a stupid question from your perspective, but did you fast before the blood draw? Maybe posting a sample menu for a typical day would help.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 08:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Also what exactly are your triglyceride numbers. Don't say they're out of whack. What does your lab work say. You should knoe as much about cholesterol as your doctor and don't let him/her scare you. Don't cut back on the eggs or the fat...that is exactly what will get your numbers under control...but first relax 253 is not as bad as you think and stopping the eggs and fat will not help. THere are many things that can cause your cholesterol to go "out of whack" such as low vitamin D levels and an allergy to arichidonic acid. Inflammation can also cause your cholesterol to rise. Do you have any skin rashes?

Also, another reason your cholesterol could rise is the dietary fat and cholesterol is not being processed properly. It takes a little time for the body to adapt to this diet for some people and this can cause a spike in numbers but then again 253 isn't bad if you could only share with us your numbers...triglycerides are especially important...actually they are more important than cholesterol. So please get those numbers.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 08:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

I want to add, and I kinda mentioned it in my previous post but it is common to see cholesterol rise for the first 6 months on a low carb diet. I would not worry.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Seems like you are concentrating on the wrong numbers. Why are you focusing on total cholesterol and LDL? Your focus should be HDL and tryglycerides. I think you said your HDL was 31 (seems kinda low) and your tryglycerides you said were 131(seems kinda high for low carbing). Your HDL and your tryglycerdies will continue to improve the longer you do hi fat/low carb.

Your goal should be increasing your HDL as high as possible (close to 60 or above) and reducing your tryglyceridesw (below 100).

Total cholesterol and total LDL are meaningless numbers. Check out the link and good job on what you done so far and keep it up!

http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/...ns-nothing.html
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 09:15

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

What Brad said! QFT:

"Your goal should be increasing your HDL as high as possible (close to 60 or above) and reducing your tryglyceridesw (below 100)."
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 10:11

BF:

Yeah, my HDL is really low, and needs to be increased, and she's already told me the only thing that's gonna get that up is exercise. My triglycrides were like 131, which she said were okay. And she said she wasn't worried about the overall number at 253 so much either. My concern is just the overall jump. Her concern was that I'm eating like 6 eggs a day, and bacon and sausage with that every day.

And no, no rashes, take a multi-vitamin everyday. But could be a vitamin d deficiancy as someone mentioned, dunno. But wouldn't there have been a deficiancy before?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 10:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
This may be a stupid question from your perspective, but did you fast before the blood draw? Maybe posting a sample menu for a typical day would help.

Yes, I fasted - she asked me that too. Ha! Typical day -

Breakfast - 3 eggs, w/cheese, bacon or sausage, 2 or 3 pieces
Lunch - grilled chicken breast w/cheese
Supper - burger, or pork loin, salad, green beans

Lunch or supper might be eggs again too though - think that's why my cholesterol jumped, I was eating as many as 6 eggs a day and 5 or 6 pieces of bacon.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 05:31
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey B-Worthy...chin up! I've heard the 'bunk' answer from docs the only way to increase your HDL is w/excercise...total bunk. Don't get me wrong, excercise does help HDL a bit, not as much as eating more FAT. My wife and I do low carb hi fat (prob 50 or so carbs per day), I like to jog regularly. My wife does not even like the word 'excercise'..LOL. My HDL (6 months ago) was 60, my wifes was 59..WOW. And she doesn't even excercise! Take care and don't give up the fight

PS...I'm sure your numbers will continue to improve the longer you stick to it.